Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"  (Read 11729 times)

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting for new steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:27 pm »

Awesome. I'll get started on that.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 08:49:46 am »

Year 2 - Spring - Kogan Ecrumansions

By Ber's Boulderous Balls, what now? Can't you dolts see that I'm busy?

Eh?

WHAT????!!!

No. Not happening. I refuse to be press-ganged into running this stinking heap of stone you idiots call a fortre-

Hey now. No need for that. Just put your hands down, I'll go quietly. It's only a year, I suppose. Won't be like it'll come back to me again, right?
---
3RD GRANITE-30 FELSITE:
Alright, let's see here... Stupid damned oafs, can't do anything without someone else to shove a boot up their asses first.  First order of business...more booze. Dwarves drink. Can't be a dwarf without drinking and can't be a dwarf if you don't drink. Not to mention, the taste of plump helmets is something too sweet for my tastes. Let's see about fixing that and getting some more variety.

In addition, it seems we may be needing more beds. I've set orders for additional space to be mined out, beds, chests, and cabinets to be made, and for the excavated space to be smoothed. My predecessor may have been obsessed with extracting every last bit of hematite from the earth, but I personally think we need the bedrooms first.

Additionally, the drunken fool before me seems to have been obsessed with something called "Mee-eed". It's apparently made from the scrapings obtained from bee hives. I didn't understand his explanation when he burst into my office (Yes, it's MY office for the year, you forced this on me, now get out!) to try and explain it. Something something processed. Sounds like milking bees.

Absurd, if you ask me. I'm a proper dwarf, and I'll have no truck with that nonsense!

---
1ST HEMATITE

A human caravan? Interesting, I suppose, but rather boring. Still, I'll have our crafts hauled up so we can see if the surface-dwellers have anything worth buying. Maybe some thread and cloth?
---
20TH HEMATITE

While waiting for the hauling to be completed, I noticed that we don't have a kitchen! Abominadble! I've given orders for this to be fixed at once. I also surveyed our farm plot, if you can call it that. I've ordered it expanded, and I noticed that we have a source of water not even twenty steps away! To that end, we'll dig out a small tunnel, install floodgates, and flood over the plot to get ourselves some proper mud.

And with that, it's almost time to trade. I better go do that. Useless idiots...
---
OOC

Dang, but I forgot how much I love this game! As you can see, I'm doing some quality of life stuff, mostly. I'm hoping to finish flooring the tavern dance floor in addition to carving out temples and smoothing out and equipping all the new bedrooms. Any thoughts or suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:56:23 am by LeftHandofGod »

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 08:53:06 am »

Err...for some reason I can't get the pictures to show up despite putting imugr links inside the [img[/img] spot

EDIT: Figured it out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:56:37 am by LeftHandofGod »

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 01:41:41 pm »

Does mud have different crop yields to soil? Learn something new everyday.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 08:16:09 pm »

Does mud have different crop yields to soil? Learn something new everyday.

Apparently not. I'll clear the mining designation, but we should lay down some surface gardens, I suppose.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 08:31:19 pm »

Ah, nevermind then. It has got me thinking about redirecting some of the stream through the fortress, for an indoor waterfall. Maybe in a bathhouse or something.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 10:25:57 pm »

waterworks? <3 water engineering in all forms. its never a bad idea to link your main stairwell to the river nuh uh

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 08:56:44 am »

waterworks? <3 water engineering in all forms. its never a bad idea to link your main stairwell to the river nuh uh

Yep, that's a bad idea. However, would it be possible to set it up so that we can divert the river through the archery section of the entry hall while the drawbridge is up? Basically flood out the entryway?

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 09:06:39 am »

Yep, that's a bad idea. However, would it be possible to set it up so that we can divert the river through the archery section of the entry hall while the drawbridge is up? Basically flood out the entryway?

Oooh yeah. We could potentially make a 'tank/cistern' of water next to the entry way, which is fed by a tributary from the river up top, and replace the righthand wall with floodgates. Then when invaders come, pull up drawbridges one and two to trap them, then open the floodgates to wash them into the river.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 07:46:38 pm »

I'd rather just seal them in and let them drown, then drain the water out. That way we can recover their gear and sell it or melt it down.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2023, 10:05:11 am »

Spring approaches and my time as overseer comes to a close. Several things of note have been accomplished, most notable that the bedrooms were finished excavating and being smoothed. Sadly, there wasn't time to outfit all of them properly, but seeing as we only have 29 citizens (including a minor migrant wave), we currently have enough bedrooms without being too concerned about space.

After some discussion with the previous overseer and with Salumek (Ber bless the poor lug, he's been selected by lottery to succeed me) the idea of establishing a reservoir to flood out the main entryway in case of an invasion came up. Sadly, I lack the engineering knowledge, and more importantly, time, to make such a mighty work and have left the notes to my sucessors. One step I have taken however, is to lay down a third drawbridge as a last ditch measure to seal off the entry in case of a siege that we cannot break.

Of further note, while expanding the main crafts stockpile, we struck additional jet! This allowed for the making of further jet blocks, and the finished flooring of the tavern.

I have also taken the liberty of opening the tavern to all visitors as well as adding a specific food stockpile to the tavern and removing the one in the upper levels. After multiple complaints from the fishery workers that the lower swamps were fished out, I have designated the brook that runs into our waterfall as a fishing area. Miracously, the complaints stopped after that. Of greater concern were the excessive number of pond turtle shells cluttering up our stockpiles. Hence, our crafters were set to work and now we have an abundance of jewelry. Pretty to look at, but not worth much. My successor might consider making the craft workshop exclusive to our more skilled dwarves for a time. I've also expanded the workshop area and added a butchery and the fundamentals of a clothing industry.

In early autumn, a miner became possessed and crafted an artifact hatch cover, which he promptly gifted to the fort. How generous of him!

And yet, I cannot help but feel possessed myself. For my dreams have been filled with golden whispers, ripples of thick, sweet, heady intoxication. This mee-eed...it sounds so silly...but I cannot stop thinking about it...

The urge has overcome me. I have built a screw press and extracted the honey. And now, as the year draws to a close, and I sit in my office with this golden brew of gods and heroes, I cannot help but think...maybe there was something to this thing of bee milk after all!

---
OOC: I'll put up the save tonight!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2023, 04:02:46 pm »

bee milk bee milk bee milk

ah, you've left it up to me to drown everyone? my specialty

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2023, 06:32:35 pm »

I want in on this. Please add my name to the crazed despotoverseer list, I can't wait to get started. Loving it already.
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2023, 07:59:47 pm »

added you to the list.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 08:21:09 pm »

File up! Enjoy! Lemme know if you have any questions or thoughts.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16327
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9