Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"  (Read 11727 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New steam succession: Mebanugath "Streambelch"
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2023, 06:15:54 pm »

looking forward to it... how many of the original seven are still kicking?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2023, 02:55:49 pm »

how many of the original seven are still kicking?

According to Dwarf Therapist - two. Parzival and Ilral Gikutbesmar. Speaking of which, Dwarf Therapist is available and working so far. https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/tag/v42.0.0

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2023, 11:28:32 pm »

Wohoo! Also, I've gotten a bit behind on my year, but I'm still working on it. Update probably tomorrow.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2023, 08:16:01 pm »

hows it going lefthand, no rush you know. I checked my calendar and tomorrow is still yet to come

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2023, 03:40:59 pm »

They've probably found my surprise and got scared to death.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2023, 10:26:19 pm »

hows it going lefthand, no rush you know. I checked my calendar and tomorrow is still yet to come

Yeah, I got shit on by life for a bit. Fridge broke, then desk broke. Feel free to skip me if needed, otherwise I'll try and whip something up.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2023, 04:52:57 am »

Well, it's been a while now but I don't think we're going to get an update. Salmeuk, are you still up for the next turn?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2023, 04:41:30 pm »

Any news?)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2023, 06:54:32 pm »

I will play! my apologies I did not realize it was my turn.

a return to the giant waterworks of streambelch sounds pretty good right about now

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:10 am »

Nice, would be good to get this going again.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2023, 05:29:45 am »

uh. something awful happened. I'm stumbling through bodies... the bones of others long rotted are everywhere. the choking miasma fills my lungs and I pass out. Then, startling pain as I wake to the awful feeling of a lemur eating my toes.

i'm done with the save but... well, you'll see. journal tomorrow/when I get a chance

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2023, 10:29:29 pm »

My name is Cog. I only know fish. Someone gave me a special crown and schematics, payrolls and other papers, said "This shit is your problem now," and then disappeared into the tavern. Oh, how I love the tavern! The beautiful masonry and metalwork enthrall me every time I step foot inside. Also, beer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yes. This "shit" is, apparently, my problem now. Why was I picked? I dunno. I think I'll try to get to the bottom of this. [/i]

===

Cog spent the next two months in the tavern. No one really noticed, and honestly nothing of value was lost. But after this period of hazardous frivolity Cog felt guilty and got back to doing useful things, like ordering random rooms to be carved.

Also finishing the utterly gigantic mass of metal piping that, once completed, was supposed to pump pure stinking lava up from the world's core. Horrible types, those metalsmiths and deep miners. The infernal gases take a toll on the dwarven psyche and the lot of them are beard-brained. But regardless, we will complete this great magma pump in the interest of preventing further pain and suffering.

A horrible death-scream was heard. The captive were-lemurs went after each other and now a pool of blood flows from underneath the prison door. No one volunteers to open and see what happened. . terrible curses these werecreatures.

====

It was around mid-summer when, unfortunately for the dwarfs of Streambelches, that Cog the Fisherdwarf discovered a oversight in the labor ledger that, somehow, previously forbid anyone except Parzival to haul things. The lifting of this strange law against carrying items caused a flood of dwarves to emerge, drunken and dirty, from the tavern and spread across the fortress.

This explains everything. We weren't lazy and useless, we were merely legally restricted!

Work continued on the large excavations and organization plans laid out by Cog.

The Ripe Belch, a guild of rangers, has accumulated enough signatures to petition for a proper guildhall. I was glad to oblige, since their services would no doubt be useful in the case of further violent incursions. The stone foundations, currently home to honey and wax processing operations, were extended upward to provide space for The Ripe Belch and their future training sessions.

===

Then, the werecavy attacked.... poor resident goblin fisher Ngokang was trapped in the ranger's hall with the slavering beast pounding on the doors. Ngokang escaped, bitten twice... stumbling into the forest, turning to see the were cavy bearing down. It was a quick death. The creature turned back into a human form and retreated into the undergrowth.

then, disaster.. somehow the door holding the captive werelemur just disappeared. No one noticed. The creature, still a dwarf, blended in with the crowds until the next moon, when it turned and attacked one of us in the bedrooms.

No bites were reported... I'm not sure I believe that. I decided to bring an extra board to my bedroom, and lock myself in at night...

===

OH SHIT we've been INFECTED. Another attack, this time in the temple... three of them. At this rate, the whole fortress would be consumed in only 3 more transformations. At the first sign of violence the temple doors were locked shut, would this contain any infected?

yes, it did contain them. But only a few, there were more outside... now all those inside the temple are lemurs.

There was so much blood it was impossible to tell who was bitten or wounded.

Noagga died after turning were, having previously hidden a bite from the infected. Taken out by one of the miners. He was just the first. many many more fell, and winter arrived..

dead lemurs litter the hallways. I insist that we continue to haul things away, clean up the walkways... who knows what might happen next moon? and the next and the next. I think about digging a saferoom, a place to hold out the apocalypse.

At some point, Cog died, but the idea of a survival bunker lived on. The miners of the fortress had proved particularly strong, using their picks to fend off the inevitable lemur assault, but were disorganized... until Doren got absolutely fucken smashed and passed out. the remaining miners all hauled him into the corner of the main tavern and food stockpiles and barred the doors. No one in, no one out. Any were-lemurs present in the safe room would be killed. The rest were written off.

it is tough to tell the difference between the bone stockpile and the main hallway. there isn't one, really, not after this many died.

the remaining werecreatures roam the hallways, apparently unconcerned by the gore... like automatons they wander, performing meaningless hauling duties or bringing clothing to cabinets.

even our grandiron library was visited by death:

This is now the holdout zone. Plenty of food and beer, enough for years maybe... the population is now 22 (down from 180!) and half of that number are werelemurs.

A complete and utter trainwreck brought on by god knows what. however that door became unbuilt I will never know, but by the time I realized that multiple dwarves were bitten it was too late for us.

Thus ends the short and bloody reign of Cog the complacent fisherdwarf.

===

this is such a total and utter destruction I feel kinda bad. but honestly I spent about thirty minutes reading through combat logs (premium DF makes this SO tedious, as if it wasn't already enough beforehand) before I realized it was hopeless. The attacks were occurring in crowds of 30 dwarves, ain't no way I was catching all these bites. .

so I propose that, should the following player not wish to clean up this literal mess, they might simply take the previous year's save as the 'true timeline' and we can consign this chapter of Streambelches to an alternate, and very horrifying, universe.

But if you are brave, and patient, removing the were-lemur threat and restoring the legacy of Streambelches would be an admirable task indeed.

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16548

The new lemur graphics are a treat - so cute with their little furry tails and blood red eyes. Some of my favorite screenshots of DF have come from this were-creature apocalypse.

thanks for reading!

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2023, 03:58:50 am »

Did building destruction get patched back in? Should have built a wall after all.

Parzival1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2023, 05:03:40 am »

Yeah, they can destroy non-artefact doors again.

I've sent a message to HelloThere4579 who's up next, we'll see if they get back as it's been a while.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2023, 01:34:18 pm »

oh that explains a lot. welp. whats most curious is that the were waited for ... most of a year ... before busting out. FUCKKK

so Parzival, will you try to save the bloodied timeline, or revert to happier times?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9