Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SUPERSPAMDORF (spring break, 2023)  (Read 2368 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
SUPERSPAMDORF (spring break, 2023)
« on: February 01, 2023, 09:32:58 am »

You are me.
As in, the actual, IRL me. Superdorf. The dude typing this. Hi!

You're a second-year college kid going on 21, in the classics program of a small Christian institution. You're hoping to become a priest someday, but for now you're just riding out the storm that is undergrad-level classwork. Your attention span for assignments isn't great, which makes everything harder than it should be - still, it's a good school. You like it here.

You goof off a lot. Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, YouTube, whatever. It's not the healthiest habit, and you've been putting off a bunch of pursuits you think would make your life better. Art, gym, guitar practice, that sort of thing. All kinda stagnant at the moment. You'd like to change that.

You had a very silly idea last night. This is that idea.

You are me. Or rather, you're a voice in my head! You're gonna help me make small life decisions, forum game style, and I'm gonna keep a small diary going here with updates, forum game style. Until I drop the idea, anyway. This thread might last years, or it might die in a week. I dunno yet.

(Keep in mind, this is my actual life we're talking about! I get final say on everything :) )

What will I call this rather weird experiment?
A) SPAMCOLLEGE
B) SLICE OF SPAM
C) Write-in (subject to my approval)
D) The current title is fine actually

Will I refer to myself in the first or second person?
A) First person
B) Second person
C) Eh, play it by ear
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 01:47:48 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: You are me (an experiment)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 09:50:47 am »

I promise to be a coldly rational voice in your head.

C: Write-in: "The University of Spam."

EDIT:
Agree with S1lentWanderer - it's just easier to do whatever you're feeling at the time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:35:22 am by delphonso »

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
Re: You are me (an experiment)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 10:32:18 am »

I will give the most positively impactful advice I can give, which may not be very good, but I'll try my best.
What will I call this rather weird experiment?
C: Write in: SUPER SPAMMERDORF - THE COLLEGE TIME

Will I refer to myself in the first or second person?
C: Eh, play it by ear

The less effort you have to put into consistent formatting, the more likely you'll be to have the interest and energy to sustain it. As someone who's tried to pick up journalling a couple different ways before finally finding something that stuck, the less thought and effort you have to put into the formatting and voicing, the easier it'll be to keep it going.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:45:23 am by S1lentWanderer »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SUPERSPAMDORF (spring semester, 2023)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 06:40:03 pm »

I like SUPERSPAMDORF, so we're going with that!

Today was a decent day. I attended one class, a science primer - this school more or less ignores the sterner sciences, but we're required by the powers that be to have at least one science course in the core program. I quite like the professor, with his heavy accent and his bubbly manner. He used to work at a medical research institution.

The primary way you guys will be interacting with my life (for now) is through the Bay12 Hour. This is one hour out of the day that I dedicate to some kind of fulfilling activity, as determined by the vote!

Tomorrow, the Bay12 Hour will be used for:
A) Art. I might draw something, start an iconography project, or work towards forming an art club on campus.
B) Music. I might practice the guitar, mess around on Online Sequencer, or pull up a playlist I've been meaning to listen to.
C) Reading. I might read the Gospel of Matthew, something Homer-related, or a mental health book I impulse-bought earlier today.
D) Exercise. An hour's a long time, so maybe I'll just take a walk to start.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:56:24 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 06:46:45 pm »

A, specifically the groundwork for an art club
Even if it's just sketching out some ideas about a hypothetical Art club, working towards creating a group of people to reinforce a positive behavior is always beneficial. At the worst, you may meet a few other art-minded members of the student body over time. This is a tool that could advance an interest into something more. Invest in your future, and the returns will be greater than you can predict.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 07:24:50 pm »

B) Learn Free Bird on the guitar.
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:37 pm »

A

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 08:09:10 pm »

A, Art club is a great goal.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 08:15:24 pm »

A. Art can be a very fulfilling hobby, but it's not the easiest to get into. Which is why you should start early! If you're feeling stuck, you could try making simple drawings, things you already know, and then branch off from there in new ways. If you had a flower, for instance, you could ask yourself "Where can I go with this? Perhaps a field?"

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 09:19:15 pm »

D

Muhahaha, muscle pain

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 12:23:49 am »

Post to watch?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 02:07:27 am »

A I'm working on an art thing so you should also work on an art thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 02:02:51 pm »

Too much gossip last night. I wiped myself out, didn't get as much classwork done as I wanted to. Still managed to crank out an uninspired-but-adequate philosophy assignment on justice in Aristotle.

Feb. 2 2023, 12:30-1:30 PM

The first Bay12 Hour is an art session!

I've floated the idea of an art club on campus before - we even had an informal one during my very first semester, which met perhaps every other week. It was a pleasant setup, but the idea sort of dissolved as everyone's schedules filled up in the months after.

I reached out to someone in administration a few weeks ago about formalizing the meetings and making flyers, and she sent me a list of necessary information to get the idea off the ground:
Please submit a proposal with your club's purpose, name, freq. of meetings, requested support (supplies, costs), atleast 4 other students, and one staff/faculty chair who will sponsor your club ({X} and {Y} are good ones to start with).

It'll take some time to find sponsors and put together a membership, but I spent the first half of my hour writing a proposal template for the club. Once I get hold of the human element, I'll be able to set everything in motion pretty easily.

1d4=3
no new options unlocked today.

Tomorrow's Bay12 Hour will be:
A) Music. I might practice the guitar, mess around on Online Sequencer, or pull up a playlist I've been meaning to listen to.
B) Reading. I might read the Gospel of Matthew, something Homer-related, or a mental health book I impulse-bought earlier today.
C) Exercise. It's pretty cold out for a walk! Could be refreshing though.
D) Art. I might draw something in pencil, start an iconography project, or mess around in Krita some more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:43:55 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 02:04:54 pm »

B

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 02:57:16 pm »

B Reading is great unless it's textbook reading, IMO. For some reason textbooks tend to be boring. If you're lucky enough to have non-boring textbooks, congrats!
Pages: [1] 2 3