Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 13975 times)

Necabo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Noblerivers: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2023, 07:42:01 am »

I would love to be an Overseer!

Intro
It has been 250 years since Armok forged this world we know as the Domain of Wind. Since then, The Contained Swords has prospered, forging alliances with our dwarven cousins to the north in the Pulley of Lobsters, the humans to the west in The Puce Confederacies, and the elves to the south in The Beast of Covens. They have also repelled the goblins of the Tick of Alliance and managed to contain the vile forces of the tower of Claspcircled.

And yet, many in the kingdom feel isolated. Bound by a haunted steppe to the west and a towering mountain range to the east, the dwarves are running out of places to settle, and the wider world is beginning to beckon to some. Rumors of civilizations far afield are starting to excite the minds of many citizens.

It is in these circumstances that we find seven dwarves loading a wagon outside a tavern in Amazedlantern, the southernmost settlement in The Contained Swords. Their plan? To travel south through the Murk of Polish and into the untamed wilds of the Mysterious Jungle, to a place where three rivers join into one. Their goal? To create a nexus of knowledge and culture, and hopefully forge a gateway between their kingdom and the wider world. Though survival may be difficult, the location offers great potential to showcase the craft and ingenuity of the dwarves.

Their story is in your hands. How will you shape what becomes of this place?

Overview
The spirit of this succession fort is rather simple: to create a fortress devoted to hosting visitors and handling all the challenges that come with it. Expect lots of bar fights, spies, attempts to steal artifacts, and a massive number of suspects for every crime committed. Whatever can be done to draw in travelers will be our goal. More than that, it’s up to us to keep them safe in this savage landscape and maintain a good reputation. Overseers are also encouraged to create any megaprojects they think would fit the theme.

Biome Details:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Game Rules
-The citizen cap is 50 and the visitor cap is 100.

-Petitions for long-term residency and citizenship are to be denied automatically to avoid the number of citizens exceeding 50.

-If there's a type of zone that attracts visitors, it needs to be built. This includes taverns, libraries, and temples dedicated to various religions. Unofficial zones like statue gardens, zoos, and museums displaying artifacts are also encouraged.

-Zones are allowed to be set to citizens only for the first three years of the fort, but after that at least one tavern, library, and all temples and guildhalls must be set to allow visitors.

-Taverns must have tavern keepers serving drinks, and all zones that can have performers need at least one performer assigned.

-No minimalistic designs. All rooms, passages, and the general layout of the fort itself should be aesthetically pleasing to both creatures inside and outside the game.

Player Expectations
-Turns last one in-game year, ending at the beginning of Spring.

-Players have one week to complete their turn. I can make exceptions as long as you keep communicating with us and show your progress on the fort, but I'd rather not have you go more than three days past a week.

-Don't intentionally run the fortress into the ground. Depending on how far we get before something catastrophic happens, I reserve the right to roll the save back to right before the fort falls.

-Don't be dumb. This means no mining of adamantine and making sure that a capable military squad is on standby when cracking open any pockets of obsidian studded with precious gems. On top of that, take care not to rile up the wildlife or at the very least be prepared to respond properly when dealing with them. Finally, please resist the urge to mess with the caravans. It's bad for business.

-Don't be a dick. I'm not gonna tell you what you can or can't talk about here, but just please be civil and follow the general forum rules.

-Journal entries can be written in character or just from your view as a player, whatever your style is. Just make sure that you let us know what's going on and anything major you're building for the sake of future overseers. No one wants to pull a lever and accidentally activate Project Fuck The World Mk2.

If you're interested in being a part of this, drop a reply and I'll add you to the list of players.

List of Players
Inatun
Salmeuk
AvolitionBrit
Baprr
TheDorfist
YoloMesh
_chax
Parry

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2023, 09:45:34 am »

I've added you to the list. Make sure you check out the discord channel.

Also, can someone tell me the trick to turn links into custom text? For instance, how do I make the link to each journal entry into look like "Journal Entry 1" instead of a URL?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2023, 10:01:24 am »

Also, can someone tell me the trick to turn links into custom text? For instance, how do I make the link to each journal entry into look like "Journal Entry 1" instead of a URL?

Just add the text between the url tags, like this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181457.msg8457027#msg8457027]Journal Entry 1[/url]

Which will show up like this (links to the first post in this thread -- no nasty surprises behind it, I promise!):

Journal Entry 1

(As a tip, if you see formatting in a message and wonder how it's done, just quote it and then inspect the "code" in the typing field. Also, with preview you can check what it'll look like when it's posted.)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:30 am »

15th Granite, 250

Well, we finally made it, somehow…

It’s only about a day’s travel from Amazedlantern to here, but what a day it was. Picturesque though this place may be, it might be a difficult one to settle. I could’ve sworn I saw a mosquito bigger than a bear, and I don’t even want to think about the size of the alligator I saw in the canyon below.

I know we only have three years to get this place ready for visitors, but for now I have to think about the health and safety of the seven poor sods I’m in charge of.

Kib Idgigin: She’s going to oversee weapon and armor production while also helping to mine out this place.
Bembul Avuzmesir: Our other miner, but more importantly he’s our only doctor. I’ve already made him chief medical dwarf.
Morul Letmosidith: Our carpenter as well as woodcutter and herbalist. Also, not bad with an axe in combat. He’s going to be the dwarf who’s up on the surface the most, so I’m going to be assigning him a war dog. I’ve also named him militia commander.
Asob Emalnish: Stone carver, stonecutter, and engraver. She’s going to be pretty busy for a while now. Hopefully we’ll get some migrants who can help her out.
Adil Vutokzes: Our general craftsdwarf. She’ll be in charge of making sure we have plenty to sell when the caravans come.
Likot Melbillorbam: Planting, brewing, cooking, threshing, if it’s got to do with plants she’ll be the dwarf to do it.
Kol Atirkanzud: Our general administrator, but also not bad with a crossbow either.

I’ve set up a list of things to take care of first, mostly so we don’t all die before the season is up.
•   Get everything from the wagon inside and have some sort of defense up on the surface.
•   Start digging a central staircase to see what kind of stone we have to work with and where the aquifer begins.
•   Dig tunnels to the edge of the claim with entrances at the surface so that migrants have a safe route to the fort and line the entrances with traps.
•   Get some steel gear for Kib forged.
•   Carve out basic accommodations.
•   Try and get Adil producing basic crafts for export.

This might be tough, but I think we’re up to the task. No more standing around. Strike the earth!

Next Entry
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:10:52 pm by Inatun »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2023, 01:49:24 pm »

On top of that, take care not to rile up the wildlife or at the very least be prepared to respond properly when dealing with them.

good luck with this one  :P

let it begin.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2023, 02:56:45 pm »

Disclaimer: I've never played in a savage biome since the whole agitated wildlife feature was added. I sort of know what to expect in the sense that someone has explained to me what happens, but I've never experienced it firsthand.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2023, 03:34:38 pm »

That's a nice looking embark.

Also, should be pretty easy to make defensible against non-fliers.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2023, 04:32:26 pm »

Im eyeing up some waterfall facing rooms
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2023, 08:00:41 pm »

Im eyeing up some waterfall facing rooms
Anything that can overlook the rivers or the pool is definitely going to be prime real estate. I'm thinking of having the bedrooms be in the southeast portion and most of the touristy stuff be in the area under where the wagon currently is, which will include the tavern. That way there can be a covered glass bridge at the base of the waterfall with some grates to let mist in. Dwarves looking to relax will end up with nice thoughts from the mist pretty consistently.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2023, 10:07:09 pm »

21st Granite
A pair of giant otters strayed a bit too close to the wagon and spooked the war dogs. Given that the otters were several times larger than them the dogs did surprisingly well. One of the otters was all but incapacitated and the other managed to escape across the river. I sent Morul out to finish off the injured one and he did so quite skillfully. Not bad for nothing but a copper axe. I’m setting up a butcher, kitchen, and tannery to process the corpse. It looks like giant otter tallow soap is going to be in our near future.

2nd Slate
More shenanigans with a giant otter and a war dog, specifically the one I assigned to Morul who he’s named Iton. The otter got away, but Iton isn’t looking so good.

I might have to get that soap made quick. We don’t have any animal trainers yet, so I want to make sure we keep the dogs we do have healthy. I’m hoping these things with the otters don’t become a pattern.

21st Slate
Not again…

I can only assume that Morul is as done with these otters as I am, seeing as he skipped fetching his axe and started punching the damn thing to death.

I’m not sure whether to give him a commendation or send him to anger management.

3rd Felsite
Okay, this one I think I brought on myself.

Turns out the bridge over the river for migrants coming from the west is at just the right height for creatures to crawl out of the river, onto it, and into the fort.

Iton immediately began chasing after it, and Morul also began to give chase, forgoing the axe once again. I’m walling the passage off though, because that giant alligator is still lurking in the river and I’m not taking any chances.

Meanwhile, the wagon is completely empty! I’m going to be transferring all the workshops currently on the surface underground now and building some basic fortifications at the top of the stairwell. Maybe then I’ll get some peace from all these damn otters. Kol has an office, kind of. There’s a basic dormitory and we’ve started growing some sweet pods.
All of this is temporary of course. My hope is that this entire layer can be excavated and paved over with something more appealing than wood or dirt.

That's all I can do for tonight. I'll work to get another update out tomorrow.

Next Entry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:34:20 am by Inatun »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2023, 10:45:27 pm »

I might have to get that soap made quick. We don’t have any animal trainers yet, so I want to make sure we keep the dogs we do have healthy.

Took me a while to realise that you didn't intend to make soap out of the dog. Guess I'm a bit too used to seeing them as only a source of meat/fat/leather.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2023, 11:29:53 pm »

I might have to get that soap made quick. We don’t have any animal trainers yet, so I want to make sure we keep the dogs we do have healthy.

Took me a while to realise that you didn't intend to make soap out of the dog. Guess I'm a bit too used to seeing them as only a source of meat/fat/leather.

the DF world is brutal, life is short, and soap is a hot commodity. Poor Iton had better watch himself around the butcher.

Turns out the bridge over the river for migrants coming from the west is at just the right height for creatures to crawl out of the river, onto it, and into the fort.

Improving the local infrastructure AND providing early combat experience to our dwarves - brilliant move commander!  :P

you chose the exact place I would have built - where the waters meet and produce menacingly tall cliffs. epic geology 

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:53 pm »

I can only assume that Morul is as done with these otters as I am, seeing as he skipped fetching his axe and started punching the damn thing to death.
I’m not sure whether to give him a commendation or send him to anger management.
Classic dwarven behavior right there. The correct answer is probably both.
Also, PTW. Looking like it'll shape up nicely, but I will note that I do not plan to join on account of taking issue with 50.0x's mandatory mouse usage.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2023, 08:34:47 am »

The way I play usually has the pack animals become the first batch of soap, but we got lucky this time in the sense that we got a male and female yak pulling our wagon. A free breeding pair of yaks seems like quite a blessing.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2023, 10:39:41 am »

A pity you can't shear yaks for wool in vanilla DF, since yak wool is used in the real world. But at least you can make cheese from their milk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15