Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Noblerivers: A Dwarf Resort - Overseers Wanted  (Read 13977 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noblerivers: A visitor based succession fort (Overseers wanted)
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2023, 07:38:52 am »

The biome is listed as a temperate conifer forest, which is weird because I've yet to see a single conifer tree on the map. The temperature is warm though, so I suppose it could be considered the tropics.

I think you're seeing cranberries on the map, and I'm pretty sure we don't have tomatillos. I'll see what kinds of plants I can request or gather.

You've also sold me on the idea of making clothes the main export. I'll try and trade accordingly and get some infrastructure set up.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2023, 05:58:24 pm »

I'm not going to be able to finish up my turn tonight, too much homework. I should be able to pass over the save by midnight on Saturday.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2023, 11:48:03 pm »

if there's an update to the base game during our play. do we restart or hold back on the update? (to avoid possible save incompatibility issues)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2023, 10:15:23 am »

if there's an update to the base game during our play. do we restart or hold back on the update? (to avoid possible save incompatibility issues)
Not sure, I suppose it depends on if the update is compatible with existing worlds.

Also, an update on my turn. The stars have aligned and I was presented with multiple large school projects due both tonight and tomorrow. I've already talked with Salmeuk and he's okay with me taking a little extra time for my turn. I should be able to get an update out on Monday. I'm going to forego chronicling every little thing and just try and get to the end of the year, and then I'll give an overview of the fort.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2023, 04:12:59 pm »

18th Limestone

No real unusual orders for next year’s caravan. Leather, cloth, thread, spare metal bars, a bunch of surface crops, pearlash, paper, and raw crystal glass. Apparently the mountainhomes are willing to pay double for leather and bracelets next year as well.
I traded off a bunch of prepared meals and a few steel picks for a bunch of cloth and other basic supplies. Turns out those giant otter bone crossbows aren’t worth much at all, regardless of quality. Probably the one truly interesting thing we got was our first book.

26th Limestone

We’ve got some undead ravens harassing the merchants. Not sure where those came from, though it doesn’t bode well. Nothing serious happened and no one was hurt, but it’s still a little mysterious.

19th Sandstone

Six new migrants just arrived, though only four are adults. We’ve got a legendary thresher, a talented glassmaker, and an accomplished stonecrafter. One of the kids is 17, so in about a year he should be ready to start working, but his brother is only 7. I’m carving out some more bedrooms for them right now.

15th Timber

We’ve finally done it! We’ve reached the bottom of the aquifer and broken through to the caverns! We’ve also found a small passageway leading further down, so we should probably keep an eye on that. For the moment I think I’m just going to wall off the main stairwell from the caverns and continue downwards until we hit magma.

I’m also enlisting some of the dwarves with less useful skills into a clothing industry. We may not be producing anything of quality anytime soon, but at the very least we can make extra bags to help with the glass industry.

1st Moonstone

The western and southern migrant tunnels are complete. I’ve placed some statues honoring Morul and Iton at the western entrance. I’ve also added a floor grate to one of the bridges for the new hospital to use as a water source.

1st Granite, Year 251

Well, one year in and so far, we’ve only had one tragedy. In this environment, I suppose that counts as a success. It’s a far cry from the grand resort in the plans I received, but spirits are fairly high and we have some basic infrastructure up. My successor from the mountainhomes is due to arrive any moment, so I better put together an overview of what’s been built so far.

The surface entrance. Nothing too fancy. We’ve got the depot up here as well as the pasture for all the grazers we’ve accumulated so far.

Just below the surface we’ve got an absolute clusterfuck a basic setup of workshops and a general stockpile. I’m not really attached to it, it was just easy to build in a soil layer. The turkeys have some nest boxes off to the right.

There’s a small squad that trains in the room around the central staircase. Across Morul’s bridge is a mood burrow the dwarves are in the process of stocking. I think we’re going to need some raw glass and stone blocks before it’ll have everything, but once that’s in we’re locking the door and only unlocking it for whenever a dwarf gets a bright idea.

Down the stairs near the mood burrow is an insult to the gods a barebones place for dwarves to worship and meditate. Morul’s tomb is on the right. The pedestal for the giant alligator skull totem just got made, but I haven’t had a chance to install it yet.

Surrounding this level of the staircase is the hospital, dining hall, dormitory, jail, and Kol’s office. If it’s administrative, Kol is probably taking care of it. There was a massive coal seam down here as well that I started filling with more organized workshops.

Across the river are some more bedrooms along the southern migrant tunnel. There’s a room just up the staircase as a staging area for another bridge across one of the rivers.

Finally, we’ve got the bottom of the staircase. I’d be careful doing any major excavating above this level until you get above the aquifer. I also made sure to block off the caverns from the rest of the fort.

Hats off to anyone who can turn this place into an actual tourist destination. Two more years remain before the doors are to be open to anyone who passes by. I’ll be keeping an eye on this place for sure, but for now it’s time to hand over the reins to the next overseer.

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry for running over the time limit everyone. My original plan was to have my turn finished during Spring break, but I underestimated how much time this would take. School started up again and homework had to be a priority. I've just messaged Salmeuk with a link to the save, so the fort is in his hands now.

By the way, what do you all think of my turn? I've tried to avoid my usual fortress designs while also staying true to the challenge. Though it's not as fancy as I would have liked it to be, I think I managed to keep things interesting. Feel free to tear things down and remake them by the way, since I tried to leave as good a canvas as I could for future overseers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:37:47 pm by Inatun »

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2023, 02:56:45 am »

did we skip first layer? how are we on the second already? :o

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2023, 04:47:34 am »

If you get lucky you can avoid a cavern or two. Especially if you dig 1x1 stairs.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2023, 06:28:48 am »

If you get lucky you can avoid a cavern or two. Especially if you dig 1x1 stairs.
i guess that's one way to do it, lol. and i take it we do not have any magma pools?

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2023, 10:18:50 am »

i guess that's one way to do it, lol. and i take it we do not have any magma pools?
None have been found yet. I didn't really do any exploration of the caverns.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2023, 06:56:07 pm »

picking this up :] nice update Intatun, the fortress looks well designed and ready for expansion. the "year 2" turn is traditionally when SHTF and I expect nothing but trauma and blood. this is why we built near the rivers, yes? easy washing.

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:04 pm »

picking this up :] nice update Intatun, the fortress looks well designed and ready for expansion. the "year 2" turn is traditionally when SHTF and I expect nothing but trauma and blood. this is why we built near the rivers, yes? easy washing.
Thanks. I was aiming to design it with expansion in mind, so I'm glad you feel I hit the mark on that one. I'm really excited to see what this becomes. As for the trauma and blood part, the rivers are probably going to be the greatest source of health and harm. Water for cleaning wounds will come from them, but so will horrible creatures and death by drowning.

Perhaps a doctor's guildhall should be set up. People can socialize while some dwarf gives a lecture on how to stop internal bleeding.

Lord knows you were all flexible with me when it came to time, so I'm going to extend the same courtesy to everyone now. Keep us updated and let us know if life gets too busy to play. Have fun!

TheDorfist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2023, 03:40:23 am »

Hi Everyone! My account on here just got approved, finally! Small disclaimer: my username was the first thing that popped into my head and is not intended to be a representation of my skill in this game! Just lowering expectations so I can wow you all later ;)

Great first year, I'm excited to see how it goes and looking downward to my turn.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2023, 01:14:59 am »

My name is Kol, but they call me Captain.

I am the self-appointed militia commander of Noblerivers, a far-flung settlement on the edges of our civilization. Our purpose here is to provide the most hospitable surroundings for any visitor, no matter their size shape race or quest. Uunless they are here to steal stuff - that's when I step in with this here axe!

The rest of these dwarves are all on-board with the plan. We have a number of skilled providers, including brewers, planters, cooks, stonecarvers, miners, etc. After our first year, the previous overseer took a leave of absence so I stepped in to provide some direction.

First order of business was to expand expand expand! We would quickly outgrow these early workrooms, and we desperately needed bedrooms for the coming migrant waves. A large teardrop-shaped hollow was carved, ringed with spacious bedrooms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So too during this spring expansion, a large diamond-shaped room was carved, potentially for a library.

Migrants arrived in mid-spring, bringing us to 33 total population. Some were set to train as semi-permanent militia, while the rest were thrown at various tasks including stonecutting, mining, and engraving. One of them showed some skill in record keeping and was given the role and a desk.

Our traps caught some badgers, a whole family of them! Wait, we have traps?!

A kobold pair were spotted in the northwest, around midsummer. They ran across the western bridge and skulked off into the underbrush. A first sign of more to come . . .?

We traded a number of bauxite rings, limestone mugs, and giant otter bone crossbows for a sheep, a single barrel of cranberry wine, all the rest of their food (minus the fruits and veggies because we are dwarves not herd animals) and finally, two wheels of 'special cheese'.

Early in autumn, Lorbam defended her two puppies from a wild badger deep in the forest.

Meanwhile, the dwarves worked hurriedly to build basic defenses (just in case. . .) and locking gates for the various tunnels leading directly into the heart of the fortress.
Large entrance arches were planned, but it is unclear if they will be completed in time. . .

It was around this time we got to scheduling and equipping the militia team (5 strong at the moment. %10 of our total population, if you think about it). For now, each dwarf was given a steel sword and shield, with armor as we could manage.

More migrants arrived, bringing us to 40 total. So did the dwarven caravan! We had no time to make further goods, so we made do with some of the cut rubies and sapphires our jeweler had created. Only four of these small gems were worth a whopping 4000 dwarfbucks!

The traders negotiated with us. We requested quite a broad range of useful things, including metals, weapons, cloths, foods, and more. The traders wished for more of these cut gems, and any paper sheets we could provide would also prove valuable to them next year.

A few more migrants, perhaps stragglers from the last wave... we are now 47 strong.

At some point Inod went a bit crazy and started grabbing chunks of gypsum. Inod was one of our stonecarvers and I guess the stone spirits had their way with his impulses because his eyes burnt with a strange desire. Besides the gypsum, inod also grabbed most curiously the gigantic pile of bones left over from that giant crocodile attack last year.

Putting the whole beast to good use, I suppose. The eventual construction proved somewhat interesting in design.

Around this period we discovered a large magnetite deposit north of the library complex. Mining began immediately.

Autumn turned to winter.

Giant, hulking grey forms were seen lurking in the leafless forests. Fearsome, but timid creatures. The dogs should be kept inside to avoid altercations.

New kitchens and stills and stores were constructed, one level above the tavern:

Many of our children came of age this year. All were drafted into the militia team. These young dwarves were brave and agile and would prove to be fearless swordfighters.

Finally, two small but furnished temples were constructed, to specific gods:

Litast was a god of damn near everything.

And ágesh the god of strength was also honored.

Both of these temples elected performers who believed in these particular gods. And all was right with the world for a moment.

As winter passed into Spring, my time had come to return to full-time military training. The next overseer should seek to build a tavern worthy of visitation, as well as continue to mine for iron ore to turn into steel armor for our soldiers. The bedrooms are furnished and replete with splendor, and food is plentiful.

So, with the basics guaranteed, one might see this third year a time to push for greatness!

===

save here:  https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16552

Thanks for reading... lmk if the save is broken at all.

I played my entire turn out on stream and will link the vod once it uploads. no voice or anything but you can see how I play and what exactly I created this turn.

Chax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2023, 04:33:13 am »

honestly. i'm surprised there aren't  any (angry, and possibly deadly) birds so far :o

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2023, 01:19:54 pm »

Alright, AvolitionBrit is up next. Keep in mind that this is the last year before we need locations open to visitors and have performers and tavern keepers assigned.

A note about performances. I have no idea if you guys know about this yet or not but I feel like mentioning it on the chance you don't. Chax brought to my attention that every music form requires specific instruments and potentially multiple dwarves, whereas I thought it was as simple as putting a single dwarf as a performer and that would be that. More than that, poetry and dance forms are linked to specific musical forms.

Salmeuk mentioned this last bit in his journal entry, but I feel the need to reiterate it. The current tavern was always meant to be temporary. You're not going to hurt my feelings if you want to tear it down and build a better one. The same goes for the hospital, jail, and Kol's office.

Salmeuk, do you want to reapply as overseer and have me add you to the bottom of the list again?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15