Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CYODU Gridhood (Was originally an April Fools joke)  (Read 747 times)

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
  • A big nerd for designing things.
    • View Profile
Re: CYODU Gridhood
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 03:08:24 pm »

I see, and what of the work that Yish'Tra and Borr did to make the river on the grassland tile? Is that possible at all in the way we did it? Since we aren't water gods we had to improvise, with the constant rains of that mountain tile pouring off into the grassland, I simply carve out the route in which the water will flow into the grassland to make a river on it?

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 03:11:34 pm »

That's the issue with aspects, and why I didn't want to come up with something myself. Too little effect and all the gods feel the same, but too strong an effect and you feel pigeonholed into your aspect instead of being inspired by it.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 03:11:47 pm »

Not really a reason, you could have just made a Riverland tile.

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 03:32:21 pm »

I do like the idea of that being a cummulitative bonus, dont think its too strong. And yeah I can understand gods as flavoring, just think a minor mechanical aspect makes gods feel slightly more unique in what they might do if one is to worship them enough, without particularly forcing them into one role. They still can do all that, its only slightly easier to use their aspects.

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 03:36:05 pm »

Main reason i did that is cause, well, i wouldn't have been able to make it otherwise, due to FP and domain issues. The idea being that i collaborated with Borr to kinda do a roundabout way of creating the river with creativity, since runoff from mountain rains is a big factor in irl creation of rivers. I like the idea of being able to collaborate and come up with creative solutions for issues like that, rather than me sitting there for 3 posts doing nothing then saying "i make a river here". But idk how these games are supposed to go, if they're more mechanics-enforced rather than creativity focused and whatnot lol.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2024, 03:58:45 pm »

But idk how these games are supposed to go, if they're more mechanics-enforced rather than creativity focused and whatnot lol.

It honestly depends on the GM, which leads to issues in this specific case. Without someone to say what you can and can't do, either we need a strict set of rules so anyone can verify what's in bounds, or we need a significantly looser format than most Gridhoods usually have.

EDIT: Of course, there are many ways to fix the balancing in this specific case even if we do end up going more mechanics-based: raise the FP you get per turn, lower the cost of making Features, make rules for prayer and get someone to join as a civilization...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:11:31 pm by Iris »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYODU Gridhood (Was originally an April Fools joke)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2024, 05:22:02 pm »

The name of this has been changed, my sleep deprived brain did not realize it was an april fool's joke ;-;

In other news, I suppose if we're legit gonna try to do this, we should start figuring out stuff? I saw some rules earlier but its only basic stuff, I suppose my big question is how hard do we wanna keep it mechanics focused? are we ok with creative solutions like the rains on the mountains and the carving of the grassland to make a river? or is it gonna be more stern and only let you make a river tile/feature with that specific feature mechanic?
Pages: 1 [2]