Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Friskdingon (Waitlist open)  (Read 3994 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friskdingon (Iron age village simulator)
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2024, 10:03:21 am »

A couple of building ideas was a shrine/temple sort of thing (a basic one), and a village well were the village projects I was thinking of. Also, I noticed the ages of the Eisnar kids are a year younger than they should be; They should be 6 and 5 respectively.

Anyway, given my clan situation so far... Sigrun'll also run for village chief, on the basis of building up the village into a functional settlement rather than the currently glorified lumber camp it is so far.

EDIT: Also, a question, how would tenant farmers work exactly?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:17:21 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 10:12:23 am »

I didn't get your first comment. What costs 10 units per year?
Existing, from the look of it.

And no, you don't need to invest a year into elections, but I would like to see some sort of campaign plan- what do you stand for?
Ptolemy's vision for the town is to reclaim the glory of Rome and build a thriving, industrial city worthy of regional prestige and, eventually, expanding into a hegemon that can bring stability and a comfortable way of life to the North.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 10:48:36 am »

Other than time to mature, is there any additional cost for raising calves into oxen, dairy cows, etc? How long does it take for a calf to grow to maturity?

Also, what about other animals, such as fowl, goats, and pigs. Unless you have loads, you shouldn't need to spend all your time looking after them? Or sheep, although they would need focus for a flock... now I'm thinking about working dogs.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2024, 10:57:51 am »

Clan Riley
Response to Chieftain Elections
Brooks and Sam travelled north to the lands of Friskdingon to escape the grasping ambition of greedy southern noblemen.  Upon the arrival of Gevehard a great rage fills Brooks and he sets about ensuring that this sort southerner will never gain power here, in his spare time he begins to stalk the nobleman waiting for the opportunity to catch him alone and put a arrow into his fat body.

In the event that he manages to kill the noble he will be sure to secure whatever personal wealth the noble brought north with him before claiming his head as a trophy. Marching into town he will declare himself chief as he protected the town from the insidious southerners while hilderbert stood by idly. He will decry Ptolemys vision for the future as decadent and grasping. His own vision for the future is a strong independent and free he promises no great progress just a simple life in the north free from the machinations and degeneracy of the south.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:44:00 am by UristMcRiley »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2024, 11:00:41 am »

-Snip-
Uh, dude, you know that's gonna get you kicked out for murder right?

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 11:02:33 am »

-Snip-
Uh, dude, you know that's gonna get you kicked out for murder right?

I doubt our village has any established code of laws, and even if it did he’s not of the village it would likely have to go to a popular vote to banish me and I’m hoping some of the NPC’s share clan Riley’s anti southern sentiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 11:09:27 am »

Katrin, having at least a passing friendship with Brooks following his injury and attempted treatment, will definitely try to advise against this plan.

Descending into barbarism is exactly the behaviour the Southern elites would expect of us. We are better than that. Don't give in to your anger, and instead prove your worth as a paragon of virtue, instead of a petty tyrant.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 11:33:50 am »

Also, a question, how would tenant farmers work exactly?
In theory, you would grant a family of farmers some land (let's say 5 fields) and a house and they would give you some of their harvest (let's say 1/3) In practice you would be hard-pressed to find anyone to agree to these terms, as the people head North in search of land to call their own, rather than to become villains under yet another lord. 
An alternative is to hire a farmhand for stable wages and let them farm your land alongside your family.
(I previously said a competent worker could be had for 2 silver, but I have reconsidered and it's now closer to 5 copper + room and board after all)

Other than time to mature, is there any additional cost for raising calves into oxen, dairy cows, etc? How long does it take for a calf to grow to maturity?

Also, what about other animals, such as fowl, goats, and pigs. Unless you have loads, you shouldn't need to spend all your time looking after them? Or sheep, although they would need focus for a flock... now I'm thinking about working dogs.
I'm going to regret bringing animals into this, won't I?  ;D
Let's see, it takes 5 years for a bull-calf to become large enough to be an ox (and the hard life of an ox will shorten its lifespan too, so oxen live for 10) it also takes some training. I don't want to leave this to chance, so I'm going to rule that as long as you have 5 skill in ranching, ox training is automatic for 1 ox/year.
Fowl are a status symbol- each chicken uses 1 unit of grain to make 1 unit of eggs.
Goats are micro-cows - you can ranch 3 on each fallow field, and they produce 1 food unit worth of milk per year. You can also eat them (3 units of food.)
Pigs require no pasture, are fed 10 units of grain (in addition to any old garbage they find and eat on their own) and after 2 years sold for 5 silver (or eaten as 25 units of food.) You do need a pig sty to keep them safe (from cold and wolves) though. Let's say 10 to a sty.
Actually you probably need a cowshed for cows too. 5 to a shed.

I doubt our village has any established code of laws, and even if it did he’s not of the village it would likely have to go to a popular vote to banish me and I’m hoping some of the NPC’s share clan Riley’s anti southern sentiment.
Surprisingly this won't get you the  death penalty. It is, however, customary to require weregild (money)to be paid to the family if your murder is proven. I suppose it would be a good test for the rest of the candidates to express their opinion as to what the penalty should be.
And you will definitely won't be allowed to seize their possessions just because you killed the noble. 
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 11:54:12 am »

Ptolemy would say that he believes banishment is an appropriate punishment in general, but, for the stability of the village, he demurs from calling for the punishment of a potential political rival.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 12:09:21 pm »

5 Copper plus board for farmhands? Sounds good ^^

Sigrun does what she can to avoid a murder taking place but should it happen... banishment or execution for the murderer should they not have the ability to pay weregild.

Clan Eisnar Year Two:

Spoiler: Assets & Household (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn Actions (click to show/hide)

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 12:35:42 pm »

If it is not to late I aim to withdraw my original response to the chieftain elections it was perhaps a bit hasty.

Clan Riley
Response to Chieftain elections

The members of Clan Riley on the somewhat rare occasion they interact with the rest of the village, can be heard grumbling about southern nobles and southern ideals beyond that they tentatively throw their support behind Hildebert for village chief

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2024, 12:38:01 pm »

Spin's yet to post their actions yet so plenty of time.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2024, 01:07:30 pm »

Couple further questions. Does it take an action to sell stuff like extra fields? And what would I need to do for Selene to offer her trading expertise to other players or NPCs, so they can get better profits on their sales (with a cut for me)?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2024, 01:17:06 pm »

Couple further questions. Does it take an action to sell stuff like extra fields? And what would I need to do for Selene to offer her trading expertise to other players or NPCs, so they can get better profits on their sales (with a cut for me)?
It does not take an action to sell the fields.
You can't (ultimately people mostly buys stuff from each other, so someone's gain is another NPCs loss.) You can however get the chief to appoint you as the village liaison with the merchants. This will improve your prestige and maybe present a small opportunity for corruption, if a cut is what you're after.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2024, 04:43:38 pm »

Spoiler:  Caesar Dynasty (click to show/hide)

At the end of this period, we will sell whichever house ends up coming out worse. I could also be convinced to switch to a different kind of construction (or, theoretically, a total change in plans) if anyone is interested in teamwork.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4