Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 517383 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:38 am »

The vote on the holiday exemption has passed with enough votes now.
:D

And this is why you ask about stuff, people.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »

I'll toss in my vote for holidays to be exempt from the count too.  I didn't when catching up yesterday since there was no dissent and a few days had passed since it had come up.

Every time I see Magitechnician I think "magicite" from FFXII.
Adding these types of things to rooms and dedicating rooms to Magitech research sounds like fun.
Maybe we could place rooms strategically around the forum (fortress) that correspond to the earth's Leylines.

If wooden arrows/bolts were shot through tiles on fire would they actually become !!bolts!! ?
That would be a fabulous thing to take advantage of if so.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »

Not sure if they would stay in tile long enough to catch fire, but dwarves can't see through the smoke fire causes.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »

What is magicite?

And yes, ley-line rooms dedicated to magitech sounds like an awesome idea.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2016, 12:15:54 pm »

Early Winter

The cold period of the year has arrived. Normally I would be worried about it but seeing that we are in a warm climate and have stockpiled seeds, food and booze to last us through Winter, there is no reason to. That said, I have begun the completion of a new project after the stockpile. The grand bedroom plan. No forumite under my watch will go without a proper room and furnishing. As such massive amounts of stone are to be mined by our legendary miners Imic and Tsiru. We are burrowing down long-term here.

What surprises me the most, however, is the fact that there has been no notice of activity from the Necrothreader tower. Nothing at all. It is like the calm before the storm, and that’s never good news. Thoughts of dedicating myself to the military and leaving the administrative duties to somebody else continue to field my mind.

I fiddle around with my battle axe, grinding and oiling it up. One of the few moments of respite I have from the constant talking by either Tsiru or that Erin fellow. I never thought there could be somebody worse than Tsiru before I met him. I’m completely convinced he’s a nutjob to the core. It’s a miracle he has a wife. Must be crazy too. I wonder why the council sent him to me. Is it a case of genius in madness like the Sprin of stories or maybe just a madman.

He does have some interesting ideas, but most of them fall flat at execution. Not to mention his convoluted methods sometimes. One of those included using flint at the edge of an arrowhead to light it on fire when it’s fired and something else I couldn’t put my head around. Why would anybody think of that when we could just oil the arrows and light them on fire? There’s no need to add any fancy mechanisms to it.

There is no sign of the guardians here as well. Tsiru and Erin tell me that they are close to finding leads, but I’m not so sure myself. One’s an enthusiastic fool while the other is just plain crazy. Can I trust them? Do I have a choice? There must be a solution to the problem that isn’t immediately seen. Does that solution even lie within me? I bring a jug of booze to my mouth and take a big swig of it. It’s Winter. It’s the period of waiting. I will wait and see.

Late Winter
There is never an idle moment in this fortress. There is always hauling of stone. Hauling, hauling and some more hauling with the noticeable exceptions of mining and building, things also related to stone. At this point I stopped caring about it. It’s something that must be done and is being done. When I decided to pay a visit to our resident carpenter TheFlame52, it was a rather impressive visit. He had created a masterpiece chair!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I swung around for the second time a few days later, I was in a rather good mood. When I saw what he had created I just couldn’t help myself but lavish him with praise. A masterpiece bed made of cherry wood and looking sturdy enough to be able to house an elephant.

When on the third visit there was yet another masterpiece chair, I was getting really suspicious, but nonetheless put it to the work of a master.

But on the fourth visit and the third now masterpiece chair I just couldn’t hold it in anymore. I must know how he kept pushing out such masterpieces!

“TheFlame52.” I look at him and flash him a serious look. His equally wooden look gives me a terse nod, puts his saw down and faces me, wiping grime off his forehead, now littered instead with wood powder. “I must know. How do you keep producing such quality craftsmanship on a regular basis? I thought you a simple carpenter at first, but over the past year something must have happened. A genius unlocked? A new technique developed?”

TheFlame52 leans on his workshop, making sure he doesn’t cut himself on the saw and then looks at me for a few moments before closing his eyes and nodding. “I knew this would come to light eventually. I do not try to hide it because I wish for the best in our new home. And for that we need highest quality things.” He starts walking around the big new workshop room I had ordered built. Fully equipped enough for four independent carpenters.

“I see a spirit. It guides me. Tells me where to draw the chalk, when to stop cutting and how to do things in ways I never thought before. It is as if a master carpenter is being my assistant. For all I know it might actually be. I have no idea what this spirit is. It is able to freely change its form. Most of the time it takes the form of a forumite I don’t recognize, but I think that’s because I’d be most comfortable with it. I tried probing it about what it is a few times, but every time I did that, he suddenly disappears for a few days, so I stopped. What I don’t understand though is why you don’t know. I told Tsiru. I thought he’d tell you about it.”

A look of relief flashes through TheFlame52’s face as he lets the beans spill. It seems the matter of the spirit weighs greatly on his mind and he wouldn’t mind talking to people about it. “Tsiru knows of this, does he now? He must have forgotten to write it down to tell me and then completely forgotten about it, haha…ha. Regardless, you’ve been doing a very good job, and believe me when I tell you that you are also a master carpenter. A spirit can teach you, but you’re the one putting it into practice. Alright, I’m continuing with my rounds. Dismissed.” He salutes and continues working on his new product, satisfied at the short break, as I leave.

Tsiru knew of this and didn’t tell me? The feeling of him being untrustworthy encroaches upon my mind. I cannot trust him. I can’t trust good ‘ol enthusiastic Tsiru after being together for so long? Tsiru cannot be trusted. He knows things and does not tell me. Tsiru. Tsiru. Tsiru. Untrustworthy. Tsiru. Tsiru. Betrayer. Tsiru.

A hand flies towards me and punches me square in the face. Immediately I get into battle position, ready to lash out at the enemy. I take a moment to orient myself and then am confused when nothing is in front of me. I look around me and see nobody. Blood is flowing from my nose now. I look at my right hand and see some blood on it too. Blood. Armok is the god of blood. Armok.

I’m convinced now. I cannot lead this fortress any longer. Spring is just coming around. Somebody else needs to take the administrative duties. Armok already has his claws in my head. I knew something was wrong with it being so quiet. I see a forumite pass through from the stockpile. I think it’s one of the migrants. I pull the forumite aside with more force than I wanted to use.

“You. Yes, you. You know who I am. I’m Apiks. I’m the overseer. Starting from tomorrow you’re the overseer. I’ll take care of the military. You lead the fortress, alright? Don’t ask any questions. I’ll make an official announcement tomorrow. Better prepare. I’ll give you a document of things that you should keep in mind. You can come for me for advice, but you must be the one leading this fortress.” I squeeze the forumite’s arms more. “No questions. No questions. Now go. You’re absolved of duties for today. Go and prepare.”

I leave and head straight for the newly assigned barracks, the former dormitory. I need to clear my mind. I need to practice with my axe. I need the battle calm.

Well my turn is done. That took a bit longer than I expected, but it’s done!

Here is the savegame. There are some things for the next overseer to keep in mind which I’ll list now.

We need to get a forge going for actual weapons. The military has to be improved as well. Things are quite stable right now, but do keep an eye at the food and booze. Some more workshop areas need to be built as well. The sleeping rooms have extra space for more forumites, but eventually (probably around the second migrant wave) you’ll want to expand them. I’ve put the furniture at random in the room to give them the “lived in” feeling.

There are quite a few people to be forumited, so please do so when you get the appropriate forumites or create them. Here are the folks up for forumiting.

Rühn

Imic

Carefulrogue

Pikachu17

Lord_lemonpie

4maskwolf

If I missed anybody, I apologize. Please say if I did.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:07:34 pm by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »

Yey! Thanks!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2016, 03:49:51 pm »

Thanks for playing man, your turn was great!

Now, let's hope for a doctor to arrive.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:39 pm »

Thanks, your posts were very well written.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2016, 06:44:40 am »

o There are no clock towers in this or any world.

Don't ask necromancer for time, 'cause they have forever.

o Mm...Do you wish to have future overseer make your dwarf tantrum?

Might be useful way to continue that plotline, and could be slightly dangerous success with a military dwarf.

o The fotress....seems like it is missing half of it.

Weird.

Maybe install magma moat there, to simulate Erfworld's GK?

oLot of workshops, in a way reminscent of worldgen. Where are the stone stockpiles for them, though?

oHm, 3x3 rooms...Enough to make every sleeping attempt one has to fight for :3

Well, that's up to Erin I suppose.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2016, 08:20:48 am »

Erfworld
HELL YES SOMEONE ELSE READS IT

Hm, 3x3 rooms...Enough to make every sleeping attempt one has to fight for :3

Well, that's up to Erin I suppose.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what this means. Care to elaborate?

Anyway, I've been thinking up a song to put us all in the seigemas spirit. I'm not quite sure when I'll post it, though.

Also, I feel like Erin will become vastly less insane as I become more knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't. (It's the scientific method!)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 25, 2016, 08:33:20 am »

Oops. Meant 7x7. And also, meant treacherous walk to beds, with nice bit of dodging and maybe spot of swimming.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 25, 2016, 08:38:30 am »

Nonono. I'm insane, not cruel. Maybe the beds would be on the wall and all of everyone's clothing would be hanging from the ceiling, but living rooms would only contain traps if they're decoy rooms. Or, you know, contain vampires/were-creatures.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 25, 2016, 09:41:42 am »

Ah - just to clarify, I meant harmless traps, just a bit of educational exercise (unless it breaks and infects an ear or something, I suppose).

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 25, 2016, 09:47:53 am »

No, that's for every entrance/exit to the fort. Wooden training spikes going up and down at mach 3, all day, every day.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 25, 2016, 12:03:28 pm »

Like the flint-catching arrows, it's an idea that sounds good in theory but in practice will result in Urist cancels Make wooden table: Dangerous terrain and needing to readd the task. That's not so much an issue with sleeping.

There's also the baby smoothies and pet kebabs...Well. I suppose I've grown used to wooden earrings/lowest speed minecarts being mostly harmless.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 202