Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Cooking techniques other than "mincing"  (Read 11584 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking techniques other than "mincing"
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »

Just give milk a negative spicy value? End results that are negative can just be set to zero.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:25 pm »

Just give milk a negative spicy value? End results that are negative can just be set to zero.

That isn't exactly why such happens.

for the most part Spice is caused by one of two things
1) Oil
and the even more rare
2) Acid

Acid based spices (which arn't true spices... such as Wasabi) easily are washed away with water

Oil based spices (which are most spices) are resistant to water. Thus things like bread, bananas, and MAYBE milk washes them down faster.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

That isn't exactly why such happens.

for the most part Spice is caused by one of two things
1) Oil
and the even more rare
2) Acid

Acid based spices (which arn't true spices... such as Wasabi) easily are washed away with water

Oil based spices (which are most spices) are resistant to water. Thus things like bread, bananas, and MAYBE milk washes them down faster.

It isn't that milk washes spicy things down faster, but that milk (well, specifically the casein in milk) combines with the the spicy oils.

But anyway, I think the basic premise works.

Given that we have procedurally generated instruments now, it seems that food and recipes would be ripe for the same treatment. And you could have chefs researching new recipes!

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:42 am »

What I'd like to see is cultural-specific food dishes, such as

->not!Curries, which would require mashed herbs, spices, etc, some form of dairy, and some form of meat or vegetable
->not!Pies, which would require a pastry shell and a meat or jam or fruit or vegetable+egg filling.

I think that a good variety of foodstuff would add depth and complexity. Straightforward things could include pickles, jams, and cured meats, the former two could be farmer workshop projects, requiring a container+vegetable, container+fruit, and the latter could be a butcher job, requiring meat+curing agent+herb/spice/whatever.

Also, something has to be done about cheese. I can't imagine that llama cheese and, say, sheep cheese are identical logs that have no skill-value.

Why would this be a valuable asset to the game?
It would give players further things to do to feed Urist, and allow Urist to have somewhat more specific desires. I mean, if you ask someone what their favorite food is, they will sometimes say an ingredient, but other times name a dish. Furthermore, your chefs could learn from travelling scholars about the food of other lands, and learn new things.

Nevertheless, people have summarized what I think in greater detail and more eloquently below.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:58 am »

What I'd like to see is cultural-specific food dishes, such as

->not!Curries, which would require mashed herbs, spices, etc, some form of dairy, and some form of meat or vegetable
->not!Pies, which would require a pastry shell and a meat or jam or fruit or vegetable+egg filling.
"This is a elven grown croissant, it is made out of grown wheat flour, filled with the exceptionally diced meat of the fallen warrior Urist Mclovin, seasoned with grown walnuts and a glaze of honey"

[ITEM_FOOD:PIE] *Universal i would think*
[ITEM_FOOD: PORRIDGE] *Human mush from all those above ground plants and their dinky little handheld pestles, probably needs seasoning with a little dwarven sugar or a kegful of drink*
[ITEM_FOOD:BROTH] *Goblin speciality for boiling down barely edible meat & bones, would probably keep their carnivorous tendencies in check and supply them with food & to some extent drink*
[ITEM_FOOD:SALAD] *No comment needed, shouldn't even exist*
[ITEM_PREPARED_FISH] *Requires a bone extraction knife to double/increase by a quarter of cooked goods (could use a similar method to keeping materials in reserve like metal forging) and avoid negative thoughts, incrementally increases waste with spare unusable fish bones*

Some interesting things to talk about. Yes. expanding on Muse's point there for a second, culturally divided dishes that require a little more work and additional tools to use *cauldrons for one besides from cooking liquids, and perhaps converting things into liquids instead*

What i really want to see out of expanded cooking are intense steel-armok-wok festivities.

"At the chime of a enourmous copper gong, both chefs wrestle and strike down the tethered black bear, strangle it with its guts, then have 12 minutes to prepare those guts to a judge's required expectations. The first one to win this stage will then get a headstart to the second phase of beating the opponent in combat unconcious or to the death with a large masterwork steel wok to be declared the victor. Bystanding elves in the audience will suffice as a worthily unworthy opponent instead."

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]