Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Possessions, Fey moods and more  (Read 22346 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possessions, Fey moods and more
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 11:10:00 am »

Nope, the only preference he had amongst the demanded materials was a limestone preference. Maybe it was because I got only 1? Or perhaps he wanted the blocks to be light stone, too? :S

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 11:17:00 am »

Yeah, actually.  He probably specifically wanted limestone blocks.  Picky picky.  I'm going to change that to just wanting light blocks.  You should have to work a little for artifacts.  They could be more helpful too though...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 11:23:00 am »

Light blocks are picky anyway, considering I can't choose what type of blocks to make. Normally I only make blocks when some construction needs them. :\

Oh well, better make lotsa coffins, spring migration soon...

Edit: Oh, damn, I can choose after all. The difference between craftdwarf and mason interfaces confused me. :P

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Virtz ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 11:29:00 am »

You mean coffERs, right?  For them to store their possessions in their shiny new rooms.  It's not like they're going to die soon.  Dwarves are hearty and have long lifespans.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 11:37:00 am »

I was just anticipating the amount of people that will go insane and starve to death. I've had 3 craftsmen become possessed since the last migration, only one survived. Hope the metalsmith doesn't get possessed and demand gold from me. :X

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 11:52:00 am »

Hrm.  I had a carpenter go insane (I didn't know I was supposed to pay attention to what he was saying and bring him stuff), and now nobody will work at any of my carpenter's workshops or whatever they're called.  I built a new one, but even when I grab multiple dwarves and turn off all their other commands they won't seem to do any carpentry at all.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »

Who built the new one?  That dwarf things of itself as a carpenter somewhat.  Is that dwarf off doing other things now?

If you'd like, you can send me the region#.sav and corresponding folder from data/save and I can see what's going on.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »

One of my miners was just overcome by a fey mood, claimed the mason's workshop and with three stones produced this legendary artifact which must surely weave stories in the history books for itself:

Eszimkel Kilrudner Shin, "Clearplain the Bronze Lake of Brightness", a Jet cabinet

Well, I suppose all adventurers have to have a suitably powerful and impressive-looking cupboard to store all their tin amulets (spiked with tin, of course)...

On a sidenote, he was lucky not to go insane since the lumps of jet he used were out of about the 4 I had available  :)

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 07:16:00 pm »

Oddly, I couldn't find the second carpenter's shop I built when I went to look for it today.  I built a new one and it worked fine.  The original one didn't, though, and I eventually had to destroy and replace it.  Could the dwarf who went insane have failed to release his hold on it or something?

Oh, for the curious, I dealt with the insane dwarf by locking him in his room when he happened to wander in there, and leaving the door locked until he'd died, decomposed, released a miasma, and his skeleton had completely disappeared. At least this let me avoid getting any of my dwarves depressed by looking at him.

...hrm, on a related note, I think there's now blood coming out of my well.  I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh, later my mason went the same way, but he had everything he needed and produced an artifact floodgate.  Yay?

And now one of my metalworkers has locked herself up.  Unfortunately, she's muttering something about "Silastis", which I don't know anything about...  She also ran over and grabbed several pieces of the raw ore used for copper, without smelting them first.  Hrm.  It said she started construction, though, does that mean she's in the clear?

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 07:27:00 pm »

Yeah, it's quite likely that claimed shops could have clearance problems.

I guess you can try to read the hints for materials to use, the "silastis" part isn't crucial.

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

Just had a jeweler go into a Fey mood. He's looking for Rough Gems and Metal Bars, both of which I have, he just doesn't seem motivated to go and get them. And nobody else is bringing them to him.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 02:27:00 am »

I think they might go for rough gems by general subtype.  Like ornamental, semi-precious, etc.  Metal bars might be selected according to type as well.  The mood dwarves don't give you a lot to go with sometimes.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »

Fisherman withdraws from society (strange mood)
Fisherman claimes craftsman workshop
Fisherman starts sketching dwarves
Fisherman starts sketching animals
Fisherman starts work in secret (2 months+)
Nothing produced...
Fisherman goes insane and kills 5 people as hammer dwarves try and put the smack down.

Seriously these strange moods are starting to piss me off. Not only did I lose my best fisherman but I lose 5 dwarves and one of my crasftsman workshops for 3 months. Didn't even produce an artifact after all that time despite me having every possible craftsman resource.

It's also lame when possessed metalsmiths look for metal bars that you haven't even found ore for yet. There needs to be an aslyum or just an easy "military execution" button to stop these guys easier.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »

That's why I put doors on all the workshops, heh.

"And you'll just STAY in your room until you produce an artifact young man!  errr dwarf!"

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 11:14:00 pm »

Ack, I just had a craftsdwarf go into a mood and demand several different things...

* A specific type of stone
* Leather
* Thread
* Gems

They've collected several pieces of (totally nondescript) stone, but are still demanding it, even though more stone of the types they've collected is still available.  They also grabbed one gem.  I have lots of leather lying around in a leather pile I placed right next to them, but they won't touch it.

And I eventually got some thread, but the dwarf still won't take it... How are we normally supposed to get thread, though?  There's no order to have spider-silk weavers produce thread, just to collect webs and create silk.  I eventually got my hand on some spider-silk thread by cancelling a silk cloth order halfway through, but even though it was taken to the cloth pile the dwarf still won't take any of it.

It's been a while, and this dwarf is probably going to go mad soon...

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12