Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode gripes  (Read 17400 times)

Burpstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode gripes
« on: August 12, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »

Ok, several things:

1.  I can't refill my water dealy.
2.  I can't buy a new water dealy.
3.  My party members don't buy or pick up new equipment when they lose or run out of it.  (I had an archer in my party, and he just ran around hitting things with his bow.)
4.  I can't bandage myself or others.
5.  I can't drag people's half-dead bodies to safety.
6.  There's no treasure.  Or magic.  How can there be mudmen without magic?  And the monsters never have any loot.
7.  My axe got stuck in a musk-ox, and I backed away from the fight, and then I couldn't find my axe again.
8.  No daggers?  Who would live in a world with no daggers?
9.  I save people's towns, but I never get anything in return.
10.  Can you hurt stuff by wrestling with it?

That's all for now.  Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Adventure mode gripes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

1.  Soonish
2.  Soonish -- should have put some in that backpack store
3.  They are idiots, it's true, and this bits a little harder and will be laterish
4.  Yeah, it seems like a reasonable request
5.  But you can drag half of their body
6.  There's some treasure in the ruins and kob/gob places, magic is a long way off since things aren't stable, mudmen come from the same place as all the other weird crap
7.  The axe was in the ox, you can go to the complicated wrestle menu from [A + enter] to get it back, or you can beat the ox down and get it from the ground
8.  The kobold master thieves have daggers for you
9.  You get an entity affiliation, and a good feeling and stuff, the rest will come in in time
10.  Yeah, though you need to get the hang of the [A + enter] crap interface or you'll make some pointless grabs

Back to the mission.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:10:00 pm »

About that magic, i read the dev_diary and would really like to see a game without "direct" magic. Well, maybe a little, but way too powerful to be "convenient".
So you could have magic items and stuff, powerful artifacts and so on, but no player spellbooks with hundreds of spells. This approach is kinda getting old.

I remember reading something like that on rgrd,when some guy wanted to make Conan RL. Looks like he never got to it...

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 05:24:00 pm »

quote:
5. I can't drag people's half-dead bodies to safety.

I think that's a good suggestion there.

Personally, I can't wait till thirst, hunger and wounds won't vanish when you move a square on the world map.    :)

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Beowulf ]

warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 05:48:00 pm »

Yeah, being nice to people that decided to devote their lives for no reason might be in order, especially because you asked them...

As far as magic goes, underneath, it's all the same -- like a debugging option with some in-play queue that lets you change things for no reason.  You don't need to worry so much about the implementation -- as much as we have one now, I don't really want a stock universe.  The things we have now, like Blizzard Men, are mostly there to make sure that special properties are implemented.  Then the random generation can begin.  We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator.  A lot of fiction sounds computer generated anyway.

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Burpstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »

Yeah, I agree, the tons-of-spells motif is kind of old.  Maybe some sort of roll-your-own spell system where one could choose effects, area of effect, range, and so forth.  Or maybe a spell system where you have to earn spells by coming into favor with various supernatural beings.