Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Smoke and Chimneys?  (Read 31666 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke and Chimneys?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:44 am »

I attempted this, it's actually harder than you think to make a constant and controllable miasma.  I suggest embarking evil, and caging zombies, as they create constant miasma underground.  I can share the design of my combination pet watchtower + miasma generator if you like.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2011, 12:46:21 am »

i don't mean to nitpick, but i'm pretty sure zombies would prefer to be underground and should only decay when left out too long :s
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:16 am »

So you'd think, but a zombie counts as "rotting" and rotting things generate miasma when subterranean.  Thus, caged zombies underground will generate constant miasma.  Normally irritating, but perhaps applicable to battlefield fog uses.  When/if visibility is implemented, you can hide your troops in thick clouds of rotting airborne flesh.

Tzefa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:57 pm »

EDIT: SUCCESS!

Put this in matgloss_metal.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And put this in all the reactions that make sense to be smoky in reaction_standard.txt:

and put this in all the ore's entries in matgloss_stone_mineral.txt:

It'll catch fire and smoke, then boil away as soon as it gets hot enough, without hurting any dwarves. Bad thoughts from smoke WILL happen, though, so be aware. Also, make sure Temperature is on in the init.

I wanna reproduce this myself but I don't have any of those files, I'm guessing since this threads older their name changed, could this be recreated for a up-to date version of DF? or am I just holding the idiot ball while i try and mod this...
I cant believe this would be forgotten for any length of time, seems like a Fun idea to build huge chimneys leading directly into my forges  :P

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »

Could be even simpler.

m
  \ \_   |\/|
   |    \ | |
    s     | |
      \__|_\
        \    /
          \/   
\/ = materials inlet
m = main vent
s = excess vent

Might need some sort of suction, but that won't be a problem.

that seems pretty complex to me, its only got one whole at the bottem, so were is the magma?!

every good kobold hole needs magma at the bottem.

It's a pipe for dwarves to smoke stuff in! That they hold in their hand. It's humour! -.-
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]