Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Permissions to Mill & Thresh  (Read 4183 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Permissions to Mill
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 02:12:34 pm »

The one thing about threshing is that there is currently only 1 plant per thresh type, with the exception of pig tail and rope reed, which are functionally identical. Sweet pods will only be used when processed to barrel or milled. You won't be getting any syrup by accident.
That said, I see no problem with it, except as possible interface clutter.

Another similar idea would be stone use options.
[Smelt][Furn][Build][Mechs][Craft]
Fairly descriptive, "Furn." is for masonry, with the exception of blocks, which are controlled by "build". Build also controls what shows up in building menus, and blocks always show up. This means you can make fancy bauxite mechanisms or valuable obsidian ones without worrying about stockpiles, airlocks, etc.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Permissions to Mill
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 02:26:57 pm »

Not too sure about designating which rock to use (will be nice, but I don't think it's a pressing issue right now).  But yes, I would like to have an option under the kitchen menu to designate whether I want sweet pod to be milled or not.

One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Permissions to Mill & Thresh
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 02:35:21 pm »

True, Techhead, but if they expanded threshing, it will lead to the same issue as with milling. Maybe if they had milling to different containers... bags of flour, barrels of sugar, vials of dye, etc...

...naw. Still better to be able to specify what to mill.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 05:58:19 pm »

One workaround is to have multiple mills / workshops with specific stockpiles located above or below them, with a central staircase.

IE:
Top Level: Stockpile of empty bags
Mid Level: Mill
Bottom Level: Stockpile of Cave Wheat

Since the dwarf will grab the nearest legal input on a task, the second mill task in an uninterrupted batch will always pick Cave Wheat (the nearest is determined on the x,y plane ignoring z).
However, you have NO control over the first mill task taken by a given dwarf in a given uninterrupted batch, since they might be closer to another legal input.

I use the same concept for stone : there will be a section of my fort off by itself that is the stone workers hall. Each "cubicle" has a mason, crafter, and mechanic shop. Above and below are stockpiles of a single rock type or color. Most of the time I get what I want, as long as I make large batches (10 obsidian cabinets, not one: since the at least the first will be random).

This setup, however, is not at all compatible with the manager.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 08:21:29 pm »

Unfortunately, there is one flaw even with this otherwise excellent idea: when the job is queued, the dwarf assigned grabs the nearest millable food to them, not to the workshop. If they're in the middle of your food stockpile when you tell him to get started grinding up Sliver Barbs, he may start on the sweet pods sitting at his feet.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 01:54:44 am »

I too would like to vouch for this feature.  All too often I end up simply having specialized piles and forbidding what I don't want used for a particular task.  This feature would allow me to simultaneously mill something to dye, and brew sweet pods, and extract sulfur flour, all without worrying about the wrong thing being used, and much simpler then having a plethora of piles and forbidding things.  This is particularly of interest to me because I have 50+ plants modded into the game.  So while Techhead's comment is valid for normal gameplay, fools like me who like lots of variety have made our lives difficult, but this function could re-simplify them to some extent.

As a way to make it less in the way of screen clutter that some people worry about it becoming, you could have the usual brew and cook options, and then at the push of a specific button, go to 'advanced options' where you can chose between brew, cook, barrel, bag, thread, mill, and anything else possible.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:02:15 am by Pickerel »

Trigath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 02:36:53 am »

This is a good idea, but I'd also like to see a proper seed management, so that the dwarves would automatically save enough seeds to replant.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 05:03:32 am »

As I mentioned earlier add (or perhaps replace) the boolean logic with a quantity that determines the 'switch on' for the activity.  Planting would be an activity you can set in this way but by giving it a low or zero value means you can always plant.  Combine with higher values on other activities and you are always preserving those seeds for planting.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 10:03:31 pm »

Unfortunately, there is one flaw even with this otherwise excellent idea: when the job is queued, the dwarf assigned grabs the nearest millable food to them, not to the workshop. If they're in the middle of your food stockpile when you tell him to get started grinding up Sliver Barbs, he may start on the sweet pods sitting at his feet.

However, you have NO control over the first mill task taken by a given dwarf in a given uninterrupted batch, since they might be closer to another legal input.

Did I not just write that?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 10:05:31 pm »

Agreed!  This would be really nice to have.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 07:57:35 am »

My apologies, Othlob Rithol. That line must not have registered. I meant no offense.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 02:58:33 am »

Wooohooo, Techhead read my thread .. :)

But why do you see it as interface clutter ?

Infact it would be less clutter, since you could throw away the "thresh to"- options and just set the plant to threshing allowed and thresh away,
the barrels, bags or what not are used if needed.

But I really wanted to point out the redesign of the stone menu again,
since I really like the idea.

Present it like the kitchen menu,
show only the rocktypes that are present in your fortress, with orthoclass
and other small veined rock types this should be alot allready.
Then make the usage in the different workshops selectable.
Like Techhead allready wrote here :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 03:09:10 pm »

Haven't seen this one in a while. It's still a good one, though. 'Yes, Please!' on my part.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 10:28:14 pm »

Haven't seen this one in a while. It's still a good one, though. 'Yes, Please!' on my part.

Since December, perhaps? :)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 10:52:59 am »

I said POSSIBLE interface clutter would be the only drawback to it.
In short, I support it.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3