Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Nano Fortress (2013.1.25.1)  (Read 86459 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Nano Fortress (2013.1.25.1)
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:38:42 pm »

Originally I created this utility to play on a would be now 6+ year old, crappy laptop that I installed Vista on it; so I need all the performance boosting I can get.  One way that I was able to boost performance was by shrinking down the playable fortress size to 1x1 which helped a lot.  I have since replaced that laptop with a new and improved crappy laptop that doesn't need a 1x1 fortress to be playable (also some of Toady's optimizations helped).

Download: http://www.lorauwar.com/~jifodus/dl/df/nanofortress.zip (2013.1.25.1)
It's been verified to work with 0.34.11 (Windows; SDL + legacy). It will probably work with any the more recent versions (0.31.*, through 0.34.*), and it may work with future versions.

If you are running Windows XP, and the download above does not work for you try looking at this post. I've upgraded my compiler and it would seem that Microsoft has dropped support for Windows XP from it (or at least not in default builds). As I no longer have any convenient Windows XP installations, I'm not able to properly test the build on Windows XP.

Please read the error messages carefully, if the error is about the finder, it successfully patched the part of the code that allows you to manually resize the the embark area to 1x1, it however did not successfully patch the finder that DF includes so you won't be able to find a 1x1 area with the resources you want (not that looking for a 1x1 area has any real merit anyway).

Windows Vista/Windows 7 users, if you get an error message about OpenProcess(Dwarf Fortress) failed. Are you the same user that started the game?, try running it as Administrator.

Please remember, Dwarf Fortress wasn't originally intended to run on 1x1 local area maps, hence there will be unexpected, possibly disastrous or possibly hilarious consequences (such as continuous spawning of undead critters, insta-heat-death when spawning on a magma tube, that kinda fun stuff).

For source code, check out: http://code.lorauwar.com/hg/pub/df/file/1df58548a05a/AutomatedTools/nanofortress.c

See also: Embark Anywhere (2013.1.25.1)

This post has been rewritten to be more up to date, the original post has been archived here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:51:42 pm by Jifodus »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Nano Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:45:14 pm »

Since I play on a 4+ year old, crappy laptop and I installed Vista on it; I need all the performance boosting I can get.

Therefore opening up those 1x1 fortresses for your convenience: http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/nanofortress.zip

It's been designed to work with v0.28.181.39c and later. If it detects the map finder in v0.28.181.39d and later, it will attempt to patch that as well.

It is possible that it will work with earlier versions, however, it's largely untested.

Also, before anyone says they see sky on the fortress overview map on a 1x1 fortress, I'll say that Dwarf Fortress wasn't originally intended to run on 1x1 local area maps hence there will be unexpected, possibly disasterous or possibly hilarious consequences.

Vista eats RAM, its a bad idea to install it on an old laptop.
However I have a decent computer with 64bit Vista, and its faster than XP. :)

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:59:14 pm »

Since I play on a 4+ year old, crappy laptop and I installed Vista on it; I need all the performance boosting I can get.

Therefore opening up those 1x1 fortresses for your convenience: http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/nanofortress.zip

It's been designed to work with v0.28.181.39c and later. If it detects the map finder in v0.28.181.39d and later, it will attempt to patch that as well.

It is possible that it will work with earlier versions, however, it's largely untested.

Also, before anyone says they see sky on the fortress overview map on a 1x1 fortress, I'll say that Dwarf Fortress wasn't originally intended to run on 1x1 local area maps hence there will be unexpected, possibly disasterous or possibly hilarious consequences.

Vista eats RAM, its a bad idea to install it on an old laptop.
However I have a decent computer with 64bit Vista, and its faster than XP. :)

I have a laptop with both XP and Vista, and just wanted to point out that in XP I get silky smooth 100FPS up to about maybe 50-60 dwarfs.  However, if I play on my Vista installation, I get 3 FPS.  At the title screen.  Managing to exit the game is difficult, no way I'm trying to generate a map.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:02:16 pm »

Holy crap.  I just embarked in a flat 1x1 with a brook, temp and weather off, and the FPS floats between 900-1300.   :o

[Edit] Started mining out an entire Z-Level, and now it ranges around 500-800.

[Another edit] Rhesus macaques attacked, so I recruited everyone.  Frame rate dropped to 200-400 as they all pathed their frenzied destruction, got back to 400-700 when just the occasional groundhog/Cougar/Wolf spawned every few seconds after the mob rips the last ones apart.  1x1 maps fill with animal body parts rather quickly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:08:52 pm by Markham »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:12:19 pm »

wow, this is epic.  no, wait, the opposite of that.  but dont get me wrong, its GOOD!

Imagine that 1x1 tile being on a caldera.  or a bottomless pit.  or on one of those light-blue lbs symbols.  think of building a fort on a spot like that!  think of meeting those challenges without the resources of outlying areas! think of fighting off seiges without some map space between you and them!

this is the new hardcore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:33:43 pm »

That's the whole dang map.  This is great, excellent tool for crappy computers or people looking for a new challenge.

I thought about looking for a magma pipe in a square with an aquifer and two things hit me.  One, I'm seriously addicted to map features.  And two, where would I put the fortress?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:37 pm »

I thought about looking for a magma pipe in a square with an aquifer and two things hit me.  One, I'm seriously addicted to map features.  And two, where would I put the fortress?

I guess a map that small is an exercise is Z level efficiency.

I could never use a map that small, since it's been ingrained into me to make most of my fort on a single level since the older 2d versions.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »

I guess a map that small is an exercise is Z level efficiency.

I could never use a map that small, since it's been ingrained into me to make most of my fort on a single level since the older 2d versions.

The best way to drop that habit is to force it so you can't spread out. I recommend you play a 1x1 map.

They're so TINY and CUTE, like pocket worlds! I can see it now; a pocket world taken up 100% by 1x1 fortresses.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:05 pm »

Don't embark in a evil area like I did up there.  Or any area with badass wild-er-life.

The map keeps spawning new stuff as fast as I re-kill it, and it's naturally right next to everybody.  It's game-day 2 and my woodcutters are taking on the fourth wave of zombie deer.  They've already beat up my dogs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:19:43 pm »

This sounds like genius. What about mining out large amounts of the stone below and building tall towers? That's even more space efficient!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

I was doing the tower thing in a 4x4 map. Likely will keep doing the tower thing in this other one.

See, I want to built dwarven Trantor.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »

Yesyesyes, thank you, thank you so very much. Can't wait to try it out.

Edit: THIS IS PURE GENIUS! Again, thank you.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:14:51 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:23 pm »

Don't embark in a evil area like I did up there.  Or any area with badass wild-er-life.

The map keeps spawning new stuff as fast as I re-kill it, and it's naturally right next to everybody.  It's game-day 2 and my woodcutters are taking on the fourth wave of zombie deer.  They've already beat up my dogs.

You say all that like it's a bad thing!  Apparently this is the best way to do a Zombie Apocalypse simulation in DF!  How long can you survive the horde of flesh-eating undead trying to get to your precious braiiiiins?

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:28 pm »

The question is really, how long can you survive the hoary marmots and mountain goats?! Page and page and page and page and page of dead marmots and goats, from two hunters. It's been a month.

This is awesome, though, seriously.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:08 pm »

Even better: Up their herd numbers and watch the carnage. Heck, just make a bunker-like structure with lots of holes to shoot out of and imagine it as an invasion.

This makes it even easier to make a layer of floors covering the sky and constructing an orbital bombardment device. Or pumping magma up there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16