Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 77533 times)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2008, 12:27:07 pm »

...Anyhow, the new version should give you a marked performance increase. Could you also upload your save on drop.io so i can see if i can make some optimizations for problems encountered specifically in your save?

As for being forced to kill the process: I don't believe that, period. The only way you could actually lag shit out enough to make the X on the window unresponsive is by getting your ram filled. Lifevis however has an automatic ram limiter, which is currently set to 300 MB, as you should know by reading the config file.
This doesn't show the processes tab, but I assure you, the CPU field was 97.

Consider that dwarf fortress never gets above 50 since it's a dual-core.  Lastly, I answered your question to the degree I was able to.  If the program was so badly lagged that I couldn't move to hide the items, exactly what do you expect me to say?  'least I'm trying to be helpful.  Lastly, about the X- if the program is lagging so badly as to be updating stupidly slow, do you honestly expect me to expect the program's close button to work?  But whatever, going to download the new version and let you know how well it works.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Okay, went back and tried out the new version, here's what resulted:

First, it was way faster.  As in, more than one FPS.  Well, TBH it ran nicely, and was responsive.  I had approximately 38,500 item-tasks and 8,400 building-tasks.  However, it once about 3/4 of the items (by item-tasks when it was idling) were on-screen it started to slow down, pushing core 1 (last time, it was set to both cores.  This time, it was relegated to a single core only) to 100%.  Shortly thereafter, when I clicked 'close', it froze and Vista declared it a crash.  I also got the save for you- I hope it's complete, I checked out VirtualStore and /dwarf fortress/, so this should be the entire save.

http://drop.io/Sukasa_Cavepacks
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:45:40 pm by Sukasa »
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2008, 01:43:31 pm »

Quick update, because i think i just managed to improve performance again a good bit.

v0.215 - Date: 20:29:24, Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2008
 - Bugfix to make the view update when the drawing range is changed even then the cursor isn't moved.
 - Far clipping plane moved closer to reduce z-errors.
 - All Perl modules updated to most current versions, especially OpenGL, which is now at 0.57 and includes freeglut.

Download: http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:37:23 am by Mithaldu »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2008, 01:57:17 pm »

This doesn't show the processes tab, but I assure you, the CPU field was 97.

Consider that dwarf fortress never gets above 50 since it's a dual-core. 
Completely normal. Any 3D application will use as much CPU as it can get, in the case of lifevis even a bit more than DF can grab, since it can partly run threaded. Whenever running a 3D application and it is NOT hogging at least one core completely, something is foul. ... I really wish people would stop seeing 100% CPU and go all :tinfoil:.

Lastly, I answered your question to the degree I was able to.  If the program was so badly lagged that I couldn't move to hide the items, exactly what do you expect me to say?  'least I'm trying to be helpful.
Thing is, you never even mentioned that. I can't read thoughts and if you look back at your post, you might see how it looks like you completely ignored the second question. ;)

Also, you could've simply closed lifevis, moved the view/cursor in DF and restarted lifevis. It doesn't move *anything* by itself and only reads where DF is currently pointing at. ... Again, i wish people would actually bother to read the thread, so i wouldn't need to explain this again. :sigh:

Lastly, about the X- if the program is lagging so badly as to be updating stupidly slow, do you honestly expect me to expect the program's close button to work?
Yes, simple reason: The window chrome is constrolled by Windows itself, so even if the task freezes, it will recognize that and ask you whether it should nuke the task. And heck, if the program is not even frozen, then there is NO reason whatsoever to assume the X won't work, period.

First, it was way faster.  As in, more than one FPS.  Well, TBH it ran nicely, and was responsive.  I had approximately 38,500 item-tasks and 8,400 building-tasks.  However, it once about 3/4 of the items (by item-tasks when it was idling) were on-screen it started to slow down, pushing core 1 (last time, it was set to both cores.  This time, it was relegated to a single core only) to 100%.  Shortly thereafter, when I clicked 'close', it froze and Vista declared it a crash.  I also got the save for you- I hope it's complete, I checked out VirtualStore and /dwarf fortress/, so this should be the entire save.

http://drop.io/Sukasa_Cavepacks
That save is pretty damn awesome, thank you! There's so much shit going on there that it'll probably account for the majority of my test cases. :D

I'm not sure where you're getting 8000 building tasks from? I only see 2600 buildings. When it crashed, did it write something to error.txt?

Also, try the new version. I can display your entire map (upped the range to max with the little [ + ] button) at 8 FPS, with the window full-screened and view the [F1] position with all items loaded and default window size at default range with 24 FPS. (Wiggle the view around a bit to get fraps to show the full fps.)

Here's my system if you want to compare to your performance: http://rafb.net/p/7Rv3Rz50.html

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2008, 02:04:56 pm »

I'll just post the relevant system specs for my system:

2.00Ghz. Intel Dual-Core CPU
3 GBytes RAM, 6GBytes Pagefile
256MByte nVidia GeForce 8600M GS
Unknown FSB

Operating processes that use noticable amount of CPU:
Dwarf Fortress; Core 2 (dedicated core e.g. all other processes relegated to core 1)
Explorer
WinAMP
System Monitors
Usually Chrome

The reason I noted the CPU increase was because the previous version was not lagging any other programs on the system, and that time it had actually caused WinAMP to stutter on an MP3, I should have clarified that, sorry.  The reason I couldn't close/reopen Lifevis was because the fort was too big to really get a good non-item shot without moving the camera with the mouse.  Lastly, 8000 buildings might have been me misreading that number, somewhat easy with how chaotic that fort is.

EDIT: update:

Can't load 'C:/Users/Sukasa/Documents/Downloads/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/auto/OpenGL/OpenGL.dll' for module OpenGL: load_file:The specified module could not be found at C:/Users/Sukasa/Documents/Downloads/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
 at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 271
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 271.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 271.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.

I just tried to run v0.215 to give feedback on performance, but that occurred.  I couldn't see anything about that in the readme, though.  Lastly the error popup mentioned freeglut, not opengl.dll.

EDIT2: Unfortunately, I wouldn't know if it wrote anything to error.txt, since it was being run from Winrar, not a proper folder (as a side note, the crash above happened when run from both winRAR and a proper folder)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:19:52 pm by Sukasa »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2008, 02:36:37 pm »

The performance thing is weird. Lifevis is set to run at lowest priority, so there should always be something over for other processes. Maybe your gfx driver is a bit too old or something.

As for the bug, try downloading again, i hadn't included the freeglut dll, since i had it in my system32 directory and it thus didn't throw any errors on running it isolated.

"Run from winrar"? What the christ. I'll simply say that i do not support such methods and i can't think that *any* application will react well to being treated that way.

Why is it always furries who manage to find methods to do shit on their computer that make me want to bash my head into the desk?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:29 pm »

Why is it always furries who manage to find methods to do shit on their computer that make me want to bash my head into the desk?
uhm, what?  You may want to check your facts here >_>

If you're referring to the 'Sukasa' on DeviantArt, I'll just let you know (since you couldn 't honestly know :P) that that's a completely different person in real life - the face we have the same username is a coincidence, and that I'm most definitely not a furry.

Oh, and as for WinRAR: basically, what I meant was that since winRAR extracts to a temporary directory, I never had the chance to view the error.txt file, since I closed winrar after closing lifevis - which, due to the way winrar works, meant the the files were all present until well after lifevis closed.  Chill.

EDIT: and on second thought, I'll add this: your program responds fine to winrar, so long as the files are present.  Go figure, I can run just about anything without there being problems ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:44:14 pm by Sukasa »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2008, 02:29:48 am »

I was actually going by your screenshot up there.

Anyhow, last i checked winrar only unpacked the executable, not the whole archive. Guess it's something new.

How's the performance on the latest one though? It should at least be usable now. :)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2008, 08:11:57 am »

Well, I haven't had time to try and tweak it yet, but going off the default settings for v0.215 versus v0.213, performance is a fair bit better.  I also noticed that this time it didn't hang or crash when I tried to close it via the chrome.  And yeah, winrar now unpacks the entire directory, so I tend to use that to save HD space (how the heck do I even manage to fill so many gigabytes so fast?!)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2008, 10:00:59 pm »

versions .215 and .213 both don't work on my computer. However a version I had from about 10 days ago still does work (back before .exe move). Sorry for the lack of information, if you think it would be helpful I'll come back later when I have time and update with more details.
However, I can quickly say I have XP, 3gigs ram and 2x1.83 ghz processor.

The error log returns
Can't load 'C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/auto/Coro/State/State.dll' for module Coro::State: load_file:This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem at C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/XSLoader.pm line 70.
 at C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 106
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 112.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Clandestine Revolt/Games/Dwarf Fortress/Lifevis_v0.215/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 71.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 71.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.

Hope this helps, I love the program.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2008, 02:24:38 am »

Yea, i need more details on that. Specifically i need you to download Process Monitor. Start it, try to run lifevis once so you get the error, then click the magnification glass button in procmon, file->save, then upload it on drop.io, zipped or rared, of course.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:23 am »

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »

Thanks, that worked perfectly.
I love the new version, it does run much smoother. Because I have a very large map (x,y, and z) the livevis runs a tad slowly, but far faster than I would have expected. All around, impressive.

Dempf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2008, 05:30:06 pm »

Thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this program! This has great potential!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

This has great potential!

Hah, that's an understatement. Mithaldu, if you could alter it a bit to make a simpler version that displayed things exactly the way Dwarf Fortress (1 item to a tile for example) and to show simple textures with the ASCII character on the sides of the blocks, and if you could make the text and menu appear in the window, I would just minimize DF and play completely in lifevis. Just being able to see everything in 3d, even if you didn't have nifty textures/models yet for everything, makes this full of win. I know that may seem like 'dumbing down' but it would be a workable, playable version and a middle step until you get everything fully implemented.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:53 pm »

I am decidedly impressed mithaldu.... Keep up the good work my friend.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18