Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763692 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I like anime, do you like anime?
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:39:31 pm »

So yeah, i tend to watch a lot of anime, and i wonder how many others here watch anime too.

Currently, I am in the middle of watching the second season of Jigoku Shoujo, (translated: Hell Girl) that is about people that contact the devil's agent (Hell Girl) through a magic website and make a literal deal with the devil in order to instantly send someone they hate to hell. It's pretty cool, i'd recommend it.

So what about you guys?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »

I watch some. Favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and most of all, Gurren Lagann. I adore Gurren Lagann. Everything about it.

I've heard good things about Fist of the North Star, but never really saw it. I've also seen all of Dragonball Z, I think, and a bit of Dragonball. My thoughts are that the whole series was good right until the end of the Frieza or Cell stuff, then it got dull. Liked Dragonball more than Z, too. Prefered the silly over the serious, you see.

Saw a bit of Trigun, like it a lot so far. Also, a friend suggests I watch Gao Gai Gar, since I like Gurren Lagann. Or was it Gai Gao Gar? Gar Gao Gai?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »

No anime here.  Being a lazy American, I haven't been exposed to much, but very little that I've seen impressed me.

Among my various criticisms of anime is that never once have I seen an anime with a strong male character.  Strong as in personality and psychology that is.  As you can probably guess from my avatar, I respect a guy who takes whatever's dished to him.  Male characters in anime are almost exclusively whiny milksops, aloof bitches, or the rare super-macho comic relief.  For that matter, I like to see female characters with the same qualities, but even they're pretty few and far between.  The Japanese don't seem to find good-humored endurance a laudable trait.

One of the few animes I have enjoyed was Ghost in the Shell (and not just the only imported one).  As an example to my point, my favorite character was... Bato? Vato?  The guy with bottlecaps for eyes, however you spell his name.  But even he had a melancholy to him (like the rest of the show) that deflated the rest of his characterization and left him kind of vacant.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57:18 pm »

No anime here.  Being a lazy American, I haven't been exposed to much, but very little that I've seen impressed me.

Among my various criticisms of anime is that never once have I seen an anime with a strong male character.  Strong as in personality and psychology that is.  As you can probably guess from my avatar, I respect a guy who takes whatever's dished to him.  Male characters in anime are almost exclusively whiny milksops, aloof bitches, or the rare super-macho comic relief.  For that matter, I like to see female characters with the same qualities, but even they're pretty few and far between.  The Japanese don't seem to find good-humored endurance a laudable trait.

One of the few animes I have enjoyed was Ghost in the Shell (and not just the only imported one).  As an example to my point, my favorite character was... Bato? Vato?  The guy with bottlecaps for eyes, however you spell his name.  But even he had a melancholy to him (like the rest of the show) that deflated the rest of his characterization and left him kind of vacant.

You want a manly character? oh, then i DEFINITELY suggest Berserk. Yep, that should be right up your alley, it is one of my favorites by far.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:14 am »

I do enjoy the anime moviiiess. My favourite? Prolly all the studio Ghibli films, i love them. Good stories, nice morals and above all good animation. I also like Trigun, funny as hell, and also the good old Ghost in the Shell.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:12 am »

Anime, live action, books, games. The way I see it, medium is of little importance as long as the story is good.

Aquizzar: Cowboy Beebop, Jin-roh(if a bit of angst does not make you nauseous). For female character try 'Guardian of the sacred spirit'(aka Moribito).
Oh, and Black Lagoon's female lead is quite interesting.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:24:30 am by Il Palazzo »

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:57:47 am »

Watched a few episodes of Bleach because a friend forced me. Next to that, nothing.
I don't really like anime. There's something about it that I don't get I suppose.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:03:06 am »

................... In production
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:03:42 pm by Okenido »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:13:33 pm »

You want a manly character? oh, then i DEFINITELY suggest Berserk. Yep, that should be right up your alley, it is one of my favorites by far.

Seconded. It's safe to say Guts is easily the Japanese Ash, right down to chiseling his hand off after it gets trapped in a demon's mouth, and replacing it with an arm cannon.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:23:38 pm »

Cowboy Beebop, Claymore, Berserk...

Although in general anime pretty much is one of the more horrible things crawling in the bowels of Internet, not disscussing it would be better.
Smart people just mention how Cowboy Beebop is kinda good and those that enjoy dull experience list Bleach or Naruto.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »

there is a GIGANIC difference between
Anime
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and
Anime:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

just as there is a difference between
manga and
manga

make your choice people, because it does matter

((source for the second anime mentioned is mononoke (not the princess). this is almost more art than anime))
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:44 pm »

EDIT: My old opinions are stupid.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:02:28 pm by Hawkfrost »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 05:06:57 pm »

I was a bit of a weeaboo back in my naive youth. I mean, like everyone my age in NZ, I grew up with Sailor Moon, Voltron, Samurai Pizza Cats. Transformers doesn't count as an anime, of course, because what most people don't realise is that it was an entirely American production simply based on a Japanese toy line.

I remember getting Akira on VHS for Christmas one year, doing the Ninja Scroll thing on DVD and then getting Neon Genesis Evangelion (and End of Evangelion) and that was pretty much it. Because less and less interested in anime specifically and just interested in animation in general when I started to actually analyse what I was watching and came to the conclusion that most anime is just mindless garbage, and shouldn't be held up on a pedestal just because it comes from a society where animation is more acceptably mainstream.

I'll just stand here in the corner and brace myself against the incoming 'omg animu is teh best animations and western animiniaaiotion sucks!!1 lol i leik the shota best <3'  ::)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 05:13:31 pm »

I was a bit of a weeaboo back in my naive youth. I mean, like everyone my age in NZ, I grew up with Sailor Moon, Voltron, Samurai Pizza Cats. Transformers doesn't count as an anime, of course, because what most people don't realise is that it was an entirely American production simply based on a Japanese toy line.

I remember getting Akira on VHS for Christmas one year, doing the Ninja Scroll thing on DVD and then getting Neon Genesis Evangelion (and End of Evangelion) and that was pretty much it. Because less and less interested in anime specifically and just interested in animation in general when I started to actually analyse what I was watching and came to the conclusion that most anime is just mindless garbage, and shouldn't be held up on a pedestal just because it comes from a society where animation is more acceptably mainstream.

I'll just stand here in the corner and brace myself against the incoming 'omg animu is teh best animations and western animiniaaiotion sucks!!1 lol i leik the shota best <3'  ::)

Everyone has their own opinion.

And if you watch the kinds of anime that are mainstreamed in America, then yes, I can see how you came to that view on it.

Animes like Naruto and Bleach are nothing compared to the good ones, which rarely get attention in western culture.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »

Berserk again. Also, the 2005 rerelease of Nausicaa was pretty good; I don't like to get in sub vs. dubs arguments but it had Patrick Stewart and Robert Clotworthy (aka Starcraft's Jim Raynor)  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 2191