Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?  (Read 1259 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »

If you have strong haulers, blocks in bins is much faster to haul using 'take from pile'. You have to turn it on and off to get the desired effect, but it cuts down on hauling rather a lot. For large production things I'll have two piles near the production and two near the building area. One near production puts blocks into bins and when full I tell it to receive nothing, tell the pile next to it to start taking blocks and tell a pile near the building area to take from the full pile. Once the other fills, I set the other take from pile relationship and have them start filling the first pile again.

If the piles are rather large (10x10 or more) they'll move 1000 blocks in a shift and you won't have to swap out very often, though you'll have a bit of a delay before you can really start building.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Any way to lower the cost (stone) of built walls and floors?
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:50 pm »

I'm gonna make a guess here, but it seems the people saying that hauling is the bottleneck of the construction process haven't trained their haulers in wrestling to give them the strength boosts that bin-based hauling requires.

If you've got a bin full of blocks, and your haulers are strong enough to carry them at normal speed (or something close to it) then there's no way that hauling is the bottleneck, as long as you've got sufficient haulers (say 5:1 haulers:producers)
Pages: 1 [2]