Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: "Sneaking" PC games.  (Read 8405 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: "Sneaking" PC games.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:21 pm »

H&S isn't just hard, it's plain unfair.

Take the start of the game after you've sneaked through the border, for example. You're standing there 4 meters in front of a firing squad and their officer has spotted you, so you can't sneak around them and running away most often results in you getting shot by one of the rifles and too paralyzed to run away further. Your only chance is a grenade (being a scout, the class that would appear to make sense for the role of "spy", you only possess one) paralyzing them and that may also fail in paralyzing all of them.

What? I just snuck into the building nearby and took them out with plinks from my Silenced M3A1...

After that mission the rest of the game was rather easy. The benifits from the convoy mission and killing Peter Claus are well more than enough to beat the game with.

Did you even find Larry and Sanders? Or fidel? Moshe? Anyone?

Why not put the unofficial patch on and give it another try.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »

H&S isn't just hard, it's plain unfair.

Take the start of the game after you've sneaked through the border, for example. You're standing there 4 meters in front of a firing squad and their officer has spotted you, so you can't sneak around them and running away most often results in you getting shot by one of the rifles and too paralyzed to run away further. Your only chance is a grenade (being a scout, the class that would appear to make sense for the role of "spy", you only possess one) paralyzing them and that may also fail in paralyzing all of them.

What? I just snuck into the building nearby and took them out with plinks from my Silenced M3A1...

After that mission the rest of the game was rather easy. The benifits from the convoy mission and killing Peter Claus are well more than enough to beat the game with.

Did you even find Larry and Sanders? Or fidel? Moshe? Anyone?

Why not put the unofficial patch on and give it another try.
I tried it quite recently, so I remember the officer seeing me as soon as the cutscene ended. I couldn't sneak anywhere because I was already spotted and 3 rifle shots away from death. The only way I ever got through that was by save/loading till the grenade worked well enough and I didn't get killed or nearly killed in the next turn.

The encounter immediately after that (reinforcements) wasn't much better either. But at least I could take cover (against enemies that shot at me through walls and ceilings, though :|).

Maybe the unofficial patch makes it more sensible, I've never tried it. Might do so next time I feel like playing S2 again. Everyone keeps applauding H&S for its nonlinear story structure, but I just can't get over the encounter design.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:18 pm »

That matches my experience, Virtz

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 04:37:30 pm »

Well if you try it again remember that Gaffberg is the last mission where you  get  cornered like that, every other time you at least should have more team members or a better position on the enemy.

Well there could be the fight with Peter Claus and his goons, but if you have a team member it's easy. You don't even really need to fight him anyway.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:16 am »

I guess that's why H&S has been critically panned everywhere. For being so "hardcore", like that wossname mod for Jagged Alliance where even small house cats snipe at you from the roof with bazookas.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:29 am »

It's the fake difficulty that's the rub... starting off surrounded and exposed.  I got passed the first two missions, but then I started having trouble with mission events firing (or rather, not firing) so I said f* it

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »

That reminds me of that XCom clone, Aftermath I think. 3 of every 5 missions I would start paused with all my troops in a hole/crater thing, with 30 aliens standing around the edges. With their guided missiles already in mid flight.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 04:10:13 pm »

Afthermath was an XCom clone?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 04:13:25 pm »

Not in the 'we're going to make this game over again with prettier graphics' clone, so much as a 'this model worked, it's about time we release another game with the same model' clone

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 04:21:37 pm »

What about Afterlight?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »

The first one(aftermath) was pretty cool... they went crazy after that.  I played the second sequel, and it wasn't much like xcom at all

I'd love to see an XCom game in the SS engine though.... druel

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 08:22:40 am »

Hitman series.  Newest three, to be exact.  First one didn't need too much stealth.

This. Nobody else mentioned the Hitman series at all, and I was shocked!

Hitman isn't about sticking to the shadows like in Thief. It's more about staying behind cover and disguising yourself. The more quietly you kill your mark, the better.
four shotgun slugs to the chest < silenced pistol shot to the head < fiber wire strangulation < food poisoning < "accidents"
Accidents are fun, though sometimes difficult to find... like in the first level of Hitman: Blood Money, you can set up an explosive to "accidentally" break a rope which was supporting a large platform with heavy stuff on it. You can also get several people throughout the game to walk over to a ledge (by throwing a coin and making a suspicious noise) and "accidentally" fall to their doom.

(I think this is worth the major bump because there aren't that many good stealth games.)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

5 months? Seriously dude, you're not even trying. There are people that necro threads that are like 5 years old!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:45 pm »

Nobody else mentioned the Hitman series at all, and I was shocked!
I did. On page one. We're not amateurs here!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »

Popping back in to say Hammer and Sickle is still awesome. Wow... I can't believe that this tread is actually 5 months old! It felt like I made my last post here just the other day!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4