Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]

Author Topic: Dwarven Democracy (community game)  (Read 28925 times)

Hilscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Democracy (community game)
« Reply #450 on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:08 am »

I can think of plenty, but I think that what we have will do us. Well, except one.

I move that we also seal off the irrigation ditch while we're finishing the first level of walls off. And put a grate, hatch, or floor tile over any hole that leads into the fortress, depending on which is more appropriate. The only entrance should be through the tower.

Lav, please change your vote to support Emmanovi for Director so that we can begin with a simple majority. I'm getting a bit worried about the sluggish pace. We need to draw more Dwarves in and that is best accomplished by lots of rich updates, debates, and pretty pretty pictures. Like this one!

Okay, it's not pretty, but it is to scale. Dotted lines are the causeway a few zlevels up, large letters are bridges and the letter represents which way the bridge raises to (Up, Down, Left, or Right). The rest is pretty self explanatory. By the way, Lav, is there a reason you want to have separate, one tile wide catwalks to the battlements, rather than use the three tile wide causeway for both?

For the record, this is what our topside looks like at present. Pardon my resolution.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:43:29 am by Hilscher »

Hilscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 18, 2009, 11:10:03 am »

Another thought: If we flood the basalt, trees will grow in our courtyard, yes?

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 19, 2009, 04:25:11 am »

No, it's a different biome which does not have trees.

Anyway, I second building second level walls and extending our tower upwards (I want it to be 15-16 levels high but 3 should be enough for now).

I'm on hold about the Secession Redoubt mostly for the logistical difficulties this project suggests.

Also since there's a tie on Director's role I support Emmanovi to run the fortress for this year.

Note that the voting period expires on Saturday 20th unless someone officially requests a deadline extension over the holiday.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 19, 2009, 07:40:29 am »

Since the thread seems unusually quiet, I kindly ask all those who are still playing with us to post a note here. If someone wishes to join, they are welcome to post too.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 19, 2009, 10:20:36 am »

Apologies, I've had something of a busy week. If all are agreed, I'll take the year starting on Saturday (within the next 24 hours) and try and finish it as soon as possible, with updates of course. I won't have reliable access to DF for the next 18 hours or so, but otherwise I'll begin when I can.

Yes, as far as I am aware only soil biomes can sprout trees and plants. Rock can be muddied, but other than for farming reasons this serves no purpose.

I very much like these tower and defence designs, and I hope we can incorporate them as soon as possible. We do, however, need to consider active as well as passive defence; a trained military is something important for any fortress.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Hilscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:04 am »

Here, boss.

That's too bad that trees won't grow on muddy rock.  Oh well.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 20, 2009, 05:24:19 am »

So, unless someone else makes a vote, the list of objectives for Spring season is:

1. Exploratory mining on the entire map (at least one shaft per map region).
2. Completion of perimeter by digging through rock in the north-east and south-west sections.
3. Set up barracks and archery range (in tower).
4. Second level for outer fortifications, including a causeway (lower priority).
5. Expand tower upwards (lower priority).
6. Construction of a siege workshop.

There's also a number of motions remaining from Hilscher which cover the military service and the like, but these do not have a direct effect on gameplay unless there's an attack, so I'm just going to conclude them by Monday.

Since no requests for deadline extension were filed, turn begins in just a few hours from this moment.

Now, my primary point of concern is lack of participants. If there are only three of us remaining, then this game isn't really different from many other succession/community games.

Hilscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 20, 2009, 05:50:36 am »

We could start a new thread with a new opening post to reflect the changes that have been made to the game, and to draw in new people. Unless you can edit that straight up, but most cheap forum databases won't allow that. First post to say we're always taking in new players who are interested in joining our democratic experience, second post being an anthology of our exploits thus far, our charter, and the current map and download.

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 20, 2009, 01:24:11 pm »

We could start a new thread with a new opening post to reflect the changes that have been made to the game, and to draw in new people. Unless you can edit that straight up, but most cheap forum databases won't allow that. First post to say we're always taking in new players who are interested in joining our democratic experience, second post being an anthology of our exploits thus far, our charter, and the current map and download.

I concur with this idea. I imagine people can be easily dissuaded from reading 31-page long threads about forts which might need to be read in their entirety in order for them to be understood. Officially making a new thread with clear descriptions and so forth would be a good thing to do.

I'm not sure we can continue so easily with a small active community. Recruiting some new members is by all means the way to progress, the way I see it.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 21, 2009, 06:22:33 am »

Agreed. I'm waiting until Monday for any remaining participants to show up and then start a new thread.

Hilscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 24, 2009, 09:50:49 am »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:56:37 am by Hilscher »

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 04, 2009, 08:33:22 am »

Emmanovi gathered the dwarves of Equalvoice in the smoothed-out meeting hall, looking at each of them squarely in the eye.

Lav opened the meeting session, nodding at Emmanovi to begin his report. Looking down at some sheets of wax and chalk, Emmanovi spoke with a calculated and military air, his list of actions past and events happened almost bullet-like in its delivery.

"Early this Spring, as we know, the Elves arrived to trade. As much as I hate dealing with the incessant pansies, we did need to see what they had to offer, trade-wise."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Well, glancing through their wares, I was somewhat offended. Apparently they expect us dwarves to wear socks as large as our legs, shirts that reach the floor and caps we could hide in. Despicable." At this point, he shook his head in disgust. "There were some useful things, though. A couple of wooden swords, for sparring; some assorted plants; and a spare bag we can use for seeds."

"I gave them those lay pewter goblets Lav made before in return for these items. Not a bad deal, I should say."

"Anyway, one item on the agenda for this Spring was some exploratory mining. Now, we've had some great success with this, even though we didn't fulfill the quota of one drill every regmabit. Firstly, we found ourselves picking through hematite. Iron, stout dwarves! We've struck grey gold."

"Next discovery was in the North-West. The prospectors hinted that there might be some of Armok's precious blood in the earth around here, and they were certainly correct! We've found a whole vein. There are some nasty critters in it, so I'm ordering all dwarves to keep away for now."

"Next came two great finds in quick succession. First, we chipped away a little bit of native aluminum. This should make for some valuable crafts, eh Lav? Then almost immediately afterwards, dearest Grail was bashing her way through the rock, only to find herself nearly falling down a cavernous maw of a hole. Thank Armok, thank Orshar, thank Kebul... she didn't fall to what would have been certain death. However, we now have access to what seems to be some sort of pit down to the very bowels of the earth. Critters galore for the slaughter! I sense a military training exercise here." His eyes glittered.

"In other matters..." he continued, referring to his notes, "some new dwarves have decided to make their way to our little Democracy. For now, as prospective citizens, they shall be known as Sarvesh Therlethudil, engraver; Kûbuk Fotthorreg, farmer; and Mistêm Astthabum, dyer. They have been briefed, and have already been helping us complete some of our tasks. Let them be welcomed."

Shuffling his documents, Emmanovi looked up and paused for a second, pulling out a sheet of wax with a number of objectives written upon it.

1. Exploratory mining on the entire map (at least one shaft per map region).
2. Completion of perimeter by digging through rock in the north-east and south-west sections.
3. Set up barracks and archery range (in tower).
4. Second level for outer fortifications, including a causeway (lower priority).
5. Expand tower upwards (lower priority).
6. Construction of a siege workshop.

"Item one: success, though objective incomplete.
Item two: near completion. South-west currently inaccessible from outside. North-east will be finished within a few days, if we get to work finishing it.
Item three: complete, though we could do with more beds.
Item four: not begun. We lacked the dwarfpower this season.
Item five: the floor for the next level has been finished, doubly serving as a roof for now. Bridges and levers are being installed for access to catwalks, when they are created.
Item six: complete."

Emmanovi clutched one large sheet, upon which was written several figures and readings detailing the current status of the fortress. This he pushed to the centre of the room for all to see. With a passing grumble about the lack of seating and tables, he nodded to Lav to continue the meeting.

{Would we like a save file, or an uploaded map file, both, or neither? I appreciate that my screenshots don't give the best overview, and I'm not sure what people would like.}
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]