Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?  (Read 3042 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the worst Map setup you've started up on/can think of?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:58 pm »

0 degree max temp world on a glacier.  Custom race with 32 degree Fahrenheit colddam point.  The fortress crumbled to it's end after ONE FRAME.

My worst(that I didn't expect to end in disaster) was when the wagon got paradropped 1 tile from a surface breaching chasm and a small family of behemoths (think really big size 16 pissed off purple bulls).  The fortress was turned into a fine red mist before the miners even picked up their picks.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »

I'd imagine the absolute worst ever place for a fortress to start off would be with ground-level HFS. Of course, that's impossible now. But since when did that stop a DF fan? I'm off to abuse the world generator
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 04:29:26 pm »

I've seen that by default you can't embark on an area that doesn't have at least one tile on a good/normal river or a forest.
How do you change that?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:32 pm »

It's actually that you can't embark to a region that is all mountain or all lake/ocean. I think there's a utility that changes that and lets you embark anywhere, with embark regions as small as 1x1.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »

It's actually that you can't embark to a region that is all mountain or all lake/ocean. I think there's a utility that changes that and lets you embark anywhere, with embark regions as small as 1x1.
not that its a good idea, unless you really want insane challenge

ive never really tried the glacier fort, however i do agree with chaos about the savage treeless aquifer desert. the only way you can make that worse is to have a riverside treeless aquifer savage desert. with no magma. and orcs. even if you survive, smelting ore is a horrible horrible nightmare.

as a random aside, do you get caves in aquifer zones, and if so, do they penetrate the aquifer allright?
yes and yes
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:44:24 pm by eerr »
Pages: 1 2 [3]