Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding annoying mine!  (Read 1830 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Flooding annoying mine!
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:21:32 am »

My mine is flooding........(sigh) Currently I'm playing a mod based off chululo.(Very cool by the way)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of paranoia of a possible ambush from mi-goes, I attempted to make a underground lake for fishing. Fish transports would be...... more closer. I designated a channel so when the water started zerg rushing, it would stop.

Wasn't deep enough! Now the water is shitting down my mine like a diarrhea bowel movement. How do I stop this?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding annoying mine!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:28:50 am »

Your best bet is probably to block the flow with a cave-in somewhere.

Make sure the falling rock-chunk lands on solid ground with no air beneath the floor, lest you find yourself with two bowel-holes instead of one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:08:29 am »

If your fortress has doors, close and lock them to stop the flow from getting absolutely everywhere.
If you have time, dig a drain hole into the caverns or aquifer before the water cuts off your access to the bottom floors.

It the inlet is only one tile deep, build a pump to remove the water from the inlet before it falls in.
Or you're sourcing it from a river, build a floor across the river, build pumps aimed upstream with  some retaining walls so the water doesn't wash away your pumper-dwarves, and stop the river long enough to build floodgates on the riverbed.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:33 am »

Up/down staircases built up from underneath and draining into a cavern/map edge might be the quickest way to divert the flow. Dangerous for miners but if you give them a dry spot to dodge to they might even make it out  :)
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!