Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: DIG DEEPER, V1.4B  (Read 172888 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
DIG DEEPER, V1.4B
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:58:42 am »

"Sometimes we find others in the darkness, and sometimes we lose them there again."
[YOU HAVE STRUCK ??? ]

Welcome to Dig Deeper, a modification for use with Dwarf Fortress! This project started as a desire for me to write new materials into the game, I wanted to increase the variation between fortresses and even individual dwarves. Sooner or later I began to add other things such as new creatures and new weapons. Before long, after the additions began to become quite numerous, I decided to release Dig Deeper onto the forums. Ever since then the goals of Dig Deeper have been; increasing the variance in Dwarf Fortress and increasing the challenge to cater for more experienced users, all the while maintaining the same 'pick up and go' ease of vanilla Dwarf Fortress.

You can find the download here: Dig Deeper, V1.4B

TESTIMONIALS:

It includes most of the features I have to sort through and add in PLUS more! I'll be using this now as a base it'll save me a ton of work.

The13thRonin I am a big fan of your Mod, it's the first one that I've stuck with for more than a fortress or two. For the first time in ages I've had some close calls in fortress mode and I am thankful for no end.

You can see Dig Deeper put to great use in Sparkgear 3, the best succession fortress of our time: Click for the whole woeful tale

Below is a full list of changes from the README. Please excuse the messiness, it doesn't convert well to forum format.

THE README.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:33:39 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: [NEW RELEASE] Dwarf Fortress DIG DEEPER 0.85
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:59:54 am »

I see you've added hippopotami. Y'know those are already in the game, right?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:04:42 pm »

I see you've added hippopotami. Y'know those are already in the game, right?

Ahhhhh... My bad... I didn't notice I had doubled up... Nice catch and many thanks  :). [Must remember to mention you in the next README].

Will be fixed for next version.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Fermii

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am The Stig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »

- Carp Figurine (dwarves, humans and elves)

Why the hell would any of those civs( ok, well maybe elves) want to make such a thing?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »

To frighten their enemies with?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »

- Carp Figurine (dwarves, humans and elves)

Why the hell would any of those civs( ok, well maybe elves) want to make such a thing?

It's a collectible?

Some ancient Roman soldiers carved animals out of wood while they were on campaign for their children when they got home. I don't see why Dwarf Fortress should be any different.

Plus it's just bad-ass to have an artifact steel carp figurine called riverdeath menacing with spikes of carp bone...

On a more scary note carp are no longer the most dangerous fish with the inclusion of 'Piranha', stay the hell away from those if you can.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:17:46 pm »

Oh lol, I have piranha too in my DFCP mod xD. We think the same way. Do you have penguins?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:36:32 am »

Do you have penguins?

Yes, he does.

That said, I throw my support behind this mod.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:15:01 am »

Me too. It sounds very appealing. I'll give it a shot when I start a new fortress.

Q. Why can my dwarves mine with gold and silver picks  ??? ?
A. This is an unfortunate side-effect of being able to smith them... However it is not beyond the imagination that such dwarves would only carry around these tools as statuses of wealth and conceal a smaller more practical pick for digging (not worth mentioning in the inventory screen).
Perhaps it's an idea to introduce a "ceremonial" or "ornamental" pick as a separate item? In the real world there's a long history of creating expensive ceremonial weapons, so I wouldn't put it past dwarves to create ceremonial picks. ;)

Faenaris

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:05:23 pm »

Just stumbled on your mod, The13thRonin. I got it downloaded and as soon as I got some more experience with the game, I'm go gonna give it a go.

A very comprehensive mod, judging by your readme. And I love Mithril.

EDIT: Have you taken a look at the Metal and Minerals Overhaul mod? It adds more 'realistic' smelter reactions and ores. Just a suggestion ofcourse. :)

Linky: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33340.0

EDIT 2: How strong are the Orcs in your mod? As strong as the Orc mod?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:32:33 pm by Faenaris »

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:38:21 pm »

I've noticed that all the non-animal-man "-man" creatures were changed to Golems, except Blizzard Man, at least in the changes.
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:26 pm »

Just stumbled on your mod, The13thRonin. I got it downloaded and as soon as I got some more experience with the game, I'm go gonna give it a go.

A very comprehensive mod, judging by your readme. And I love Mithril.

EDIT: Have you taken a look at the Metal and Minerals Overhaul mod? It adds more 'realistic' smelter reactions and ores. Just a suggestion ofcourse. :)

Linky: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33340.0

Thank you for the praise and I'm looking into the Metal and Minerals Overhaul mod as we speak. I might not take the whole idea but I'm sure there's concepts I can implement into DIG DEEPER. Thank you very much for taking the time to make a suggestion and I hope I can put it to a deserved good use!

EDIT 2: How strong are the Orcs in your mod? As strong as the Orc mod?

A tad weaker than the orcs in the orc mod. I based them on the orcs in the orc mod but I decided that they should be more like really, really, really tough goblins.

Quote from: Arathanar link
I've noticed that all the non-animal-man "-man" creatures were changed to Golems, except Blizzard Man, at least in the changes.

I've always thought of the blizzard man as something different to a golem... More like a yeti type creature perhaps? The reason being that all the other 'mans' were based on a distinct material like iron, rock or even magma but 'blizzard' is not an element in itself. I have plans to make an 'Ice Golem' and if you still have qualms about this speak up now... I may have it replace the blizzard man...

Faenaris

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 03:50:46 am »

Thank you for the praise and I'm looking into the Metal and Minerals Overhaul mod as we speak. I might not take the whole idea but I'm sure there's concepts I can implement into DIG DEEPER. Thank you very much for taking the time to make a suggestion and I hope I can put it to a deserved good use!

A tad weaker than the orcs in the orc mod. I based them on the orcs in the orc mod but I decided that they should be more like really, really, really tough goblins.

Thank you for the fast reply! Good luck with the modding. :)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:27 pm »

your mod seems like alot of fun...the only thing that stop me from downloading it is incompatibility with MayDay's graphic set, and by that i mean that new creature will be letters or numbers.
correct me if i'm wrong.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05:23 pm »

your mod seems like alot of fun...the only thing that stop me from downloading it is incompatibility with MayDay's graphic set, and by that i mean that new creature will be letters or numbers.
correct me if i'm wrong.

You are correct but I'm afraid you'll have to take that issue up with MayDay or one of our other competent tile-set/graphics designers. I'm not much of an artist and I wouldn't know where to start even if I knew exactly how to start!

On a different note no-one has commented or rated the file on DFFD yet  :(. I'd really like some feedback on how things are going in peoples games and if they have seen any of the changes, what they like and what they don't like! Don't be afraid to post in this thread guys, even if it's just a line! I really appreciate it when people take the time. Working on the next version as we speak, might put a poll up to gauge where you guys stand on incorporating more fantasy metals or if you want me to stick with predominantly realistic additions. Everything added so far is pretty much realistic with the exclusion of creatures.

Sneak peak at the next update: Two new real alloys of gold have been added. More creatures are being planned... Perhaps even some new mega and semi-mega beasts...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57