Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Moclem: A Threetoe Story  (Read 42604 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Moclem: A Threetoe Story
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:38:55 pm »

A village is haunted by a demonic monster in Moclem.  Threetoe's stories are posted up on Threetoe's Stories, and Analysis.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moclem: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:49 am »

Loved it!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:47:18 am »

The analyzation at the end was a nice little addition. Good story. Nice to see things like this again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:30:22 am »

When do we see a story where:

A stranger arrives in town.

Strange things are happening.

People suspect the stranger.

He ignores them, going about his business.

Someone attempts to arrest the stranger.

He casually murders the person and warns the others not to be so stupid, then goes back to his business - getting supplies and so on.

A posse forms to stop the stranger.

He plasters the walls with the blood of the posse, sighs to himself, and continues going about his business.

The entire town reacts, half the town trying to kill the stranger, the other half fleeing into the woods.

The stranger butchers everybody hostile he encounters, then spends some time wandering through the now-untended shops, whistling to himself as he picks up a few more items. 

The stranger leaves the now-deserted town.

... Seems to me this would be more in keeping with the behavior players are prone to.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:39:21 am »

Posting here so I I don't forget to read it later.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10:02 am »

Someone threw a rock and struck the stable master in the shoulder. He would not budge.

No exploding in gore?  ???

Once again a great story, thanks!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:41 am »

Nice story, liked the rather gruesome ending ;D

Also, this does display how playing as evil magician would be awesome. Hoping it becomes implemented soon.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:22:42 am »

I guess it was the point, but I had no idea what was going on.  That said, I get that it was an exploration of some more outre forms of magic and special powers.  If (When) development comes around to magic and so forth, I always expected it would involve some very tangential effects, instead of plain old fireballs.  Promising.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:10 am »

Who is the monster?

It is you, the player.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:33:13 am »

Tee hee...

Apelsos.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:31 pm »

Loved it, mainly because it matches my view on how playing a wizard could be like. With enough study and power, a wizard could summon (or maybe even create, or alter existing ones) creatures and bind them to his/her service, but carefuly watching how it behaves and how it reacts to the spell.
This is the kind of magic i wanna see in DF, course the plain old fireballs should be possible, but the main thing about magic in this game, i feel, shound't be throwing fireballs or throwing lightning, but spells that alter and expand your dominion over your environment, like special alchemic/magical reactions that changes one material to another, creating monsters with random parts of dead ones, raising the dead, becoming immortal through lichdom, altering your body, freeing your spirit from your body and possessing someone, summoning demons and other creatures and binding them to do your bidding, not limited only to attacking and guarding you, etc.

This is how i envision wizards in DF, not fireball machine guns, but things of true power and god-potential.
Of course, living as a wizard should be pretty difficult, as most people would dislike you, few would be willing to trade with you, and as your power grows, you could attract unwanted attention, and of course, being subjected to negative effects of your own failures.

Conjuring magma and booze would be extremely dwarfy aswell :D
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:30:08 pm »

Magic in Armok I was terrible fun. And I don't just mean that figuratively.

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 03:00:58 pm »

Fun too read, I am quite looking forward too doing that stuff in game, Bwahahahaha.

Transformation in game would be confusing, but fun in general, I find my self playing a shapeshifter in no matter what game (if available) at least once. So methods of staying your self for longer, or perhaps having a skill on top of that, that outright keeps you form being out right lost. Then there's the ways you stay your self completely, IE Polymorph in D&D, No matter the shape you are still you it seems. (Unless you got a DM that thinks it would be fun too plot.)
I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 10:09:42 pm »

Well, transformation would change your body into a different one, which one of course change your brain aswell, so you'd probably require some other spell to keep your mind safe and sound. This would raise the difficulty level of being a wizard, since you'd have to think before doing anything too unatural.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 02:06:23 am »

This is basically irrelevant. but I once managed possession. Playing in Adv mode, I died, and attempted to resurrect myself with DC. In the attempt, I also managed to make myself permanently prone. In fixing that, I decoupled control from the body I possessed. Every time I fast-travelled,after entering a new town I found myself in a new body, with new skills, new attributes and new reactions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4