Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #1: Feedback  (Read 32553 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #1: Feedback
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:39:13 am »

Here's the first one. (~37MB, 78 or so minutes)

I'll set up a web page at some point, but you can use that link for now.

There were some problems with the recorded software that were somewhat deflating, but overall this is what we'll be doing.  There were also issues getting music in there, but we might put some in later once the web page is repaired, or maybe for the next episode.

Anyway, any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  In terms of questions for next time, there is a specific thread for that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:58:25 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #1: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:50 am »

I liked it. Very well done. Questions coming from the community--rather than some random internet people--definitely made the podcast-thing much more focused on the game and interesting to DF players. I liked the talk about group/faction systems during the question about the Return of the Guildmasters; reminds me of a suggestion I posted.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:08:47 am »

It was a pretty nice podcast. The questions were kind of dumb though.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:21:20 am »

It was a pretty nice podcast. The questions were kind of dumb though.

You could help out by posting some better questions in the new questions thread.

Also, I think the podcast would definitely benefit from some intro/denouement music, even if it's just a couple short clips from the music that ships with the game. Oh, and put a link up on the dev log! I know most people aren't quite as obsessive about reading Toady's recent posts as I am, and might have missed the podcast link.

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:11:13 am »

If this is going to be a regular thing, then an RSS feed with the magic in that iTunes understands (http://www.apple.com/itunes/whatson/podcasts/specs.html) would be fantastic: there is some setup effort involved but once the RSS exists adding new episodes is pretty trivial. The format should be usable by other podcast downloaders as well (the iTunes metadata is a superset).

This would mean I can have it automatically appear on my portable device which would be nice :)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 06:41:43 am »

I'm almost tempted to ask about dwarven sports or something just to hear more Toady-talk about dwarves jumping.  I love the idea of fortress with no stairs, where the dwarves have to get around by hopping everywhere.

I was also going to ask about how much of the functional development is focused on dwarves specifically or around eventually modeling any civilization, but you addressed that very well.

Req122 has something to do with a "belt" inventory slot.  I didn't know that existed.

Human field trips fed to Skeletal Giant Eaglets!

Anyway, the format and everything seems just fine, aside from the voice canning which was explained.  Are Capntastic and Rainseeker going to be hosting these interviews indefinitely?

Thanks again Toady, for taking the time and interest to talk to us (or retroactively talk at us, as it were).  Oh man, we're pragmatic.  That's so cool!

To: Capntastic
Re: My Name
Message: ACK-ə-zar.  Hard 'K'.  ACK.  Do you see a 'U' in there?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:03:26 am »

Sorry, I think I pronounced it right the first go, but after we had to re-ask all the questions, I'd already crossed out the question and your name, so I was mostly going by memory.

Anyways, glad there don't seem to be any major complaints.   Now that we have the general idea of how to work things down, the next one should be a bit more flair.   Likewise, we shouldn't have any more false starts.   Losing an hour of discussion was incredibly draining.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:40 am »

Bravo!

All involved deserve a lot of credit in gettting this together, and for what it's worth I find the format and tone enoyable.

I was strangely entertained by the 'Home-brew Beer Interlude'.

Thanks once more!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:47:32 am »

Before I launch into anything, I want to say that I think the call was well done and mostly well produced, despite someone's microphone crapping out toward the end.

There are some things I think are important to take note of for future reference, if this is done every month, or even every two months.

First; a lot of old ground was retread in the interview. Tarn really already said a lot of what was said  in this interview in the previous one. Old ground does not need to be retread often, and interest in these things will wane if it becomes repetitive, which just won't do in the long run, particularly if you guys intend to use the cast as a method of advertizement. I'm certain TIGsource would be happy to post a link to it, for example.

I'd suggest that it is almost necessary to have this cast be about more than just Dwarf Fortress, if you want to hold attention spans for any period of time. I suggest commentary on game design, like what you began to get into with the discussion of Spore, to be a recurring theme.
!!&!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:35:18 am »

I think the reason we didn't branch out or have much in the way of 'segments' is because we were still getting things down.   As you've read, this was sort of a test run, and we did iron out some technical difficulties.

Rainseeker and I have been discussing some way to bring in more content, mostly along the lines of community submitted short stories or whatever.   Contests will be involved almost certainly at some point.

Also that was my microphone dying out near the end.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:53 am »

While I understand that, I do feel that the point is best made now than later. It's not so much having different segments that I'm thinking about, as it is that when you do talk about Dwarf Fortress, you don't have the same discussion twice. That's what worries me.
!!&!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:49 am »

Wow, this was awesome, more interesting and less ground rethread than I thought it would be. I haven't been this exited about DF in a year or something I think. (I wonder what that number comes from...)

Also: My question got included! Yay!  :D

There are a million things I could comment on if I had the time and such, it really made me think in general, almost make me consider applying for a place in the discussion, but I probably would just die of anxiety, flood the discussion it fanboyism, or do something else incredibly stupid. There are peaple more worthy of the place than me.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:14:51 am »

This has probably already been suggested, but it will be nice to have a transcription of each interview. For many non-native english speakers, oral english is still a bit tough to understand completely.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:41:24 am »

This has probably already been suggested, but it will be nice to have a transcription of each interview. For many non-native english speakers, oral english is still a bit tough to understand completely.

This would also be useful for the people trying to listen in a crowded or otherwise loud room, so I'd support this.

Besides that, I'm still listening to it, interesting stuff, can't wait for number 2.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 11:00:17 am »

Awesome podcast guys! Can't wait for the next one, keep it up.

The podcast certainly needs an intro and outro theme(I'd really love to hear some guitar improvisation by Toady). Also some more categorization of topics, so that DF stuff is kept separated from scamp and general gaming stuff. I love the community themed nature of the podcast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5