Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 124121 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome To
Severedcoils

=============

=============
"Severedcoils 'I' or 'II?' Which should I read first?"
'Severedcoils' and 'Severedcoils II: The Reckoning' are two separate stories being told concurrently to form a single narrative from two perspectives. This gives you, the reader, some options as to how to tackle this story:

Fortress Mode: 'Severedcoils' is the original Dwarf Fortress community challenge, still in progress. In 'Fortress Mode,' read 'Severedcoils' first, learning all the backstory behind the fortress and all the events leading up to the cast of Severedcoils II being sent on their adventure. 'Severedcoils' is currently paused at a point in time in which the adventuring party is scheduled to arrive back, and will resume when the stories converge. Read 'Severedcoils' first up to & including page 54, when the stories split, then read 'Severedcoils II' to see what's happening in another part of the world. Feel free to jump back and forth between the stories from this point on, using the dates at the top of each post to guide you chronologically. (Concurrent storytelling does not begin until Chapter II of SCII)

Adventure Mode: 'Severedcoils II: The Reckoning' is a DnD 5e adventure about an adventuring party sent to collect magical treasures by the caretakers of Severedcoils - but for what purpose? And will the party find more than they bargained for? In 'Adventure Mode,' skip 'Severedcoils,' and read 'Severedcoils II' first; This will simulate the perspective of the real-world DnD players, who don't know the history of 'Severedcoils' and are learning as it's revealed to them, bit by bit. In this path, 'Severedcoils' becomes a [F]orbidden source of mystery, which might be a more enjoyable experience for new readers. Read 'Severedcoils II' first, and avoid all links to 'Severedcoils' until such time that the adventuring party is welcomed to read it themselves by means of a big, plot-related reveal.
=============

STOP! If you are one of my players in the Dungeons and Dragons 5e campaign, this thread contains MASSIVE SPOILERS you should not know about yet.  It'll come up at the right time!  For now, please turn back.

This story is now effectively the background history for Severedcoils II - The Reckoning, a DnD 5e campaign built and presented using Dwarf Fortress.  Both stories are in active progress, and events coincide between them in real-time, using dates as reference.

What does this mean?

-See above for instructions on how to consume this story. There are two different ways to read it: Fortress Mode (read 'Severedcoils' before 'Severedcoils II'), and Adventure Mode (read 'Severedcoils II' before 'Severedcoils'). For new readers, starting with 'Severedcoils II' might be more interesting since it treats the history of 'Severedcoils' as the source of a mystery.

-These two threads are telling the same story from two different perspectives. The players in 'Severedcoils II' are [F]orbidden from reading 'Severedcoils' for now, so they only know what's been shared with them in their game/their thread.

-Because Dwarf Fortress progresses time very quickly, and a DnD adventure (the action, anyway) typically takes place over a few days, that means right now the bulk of the story is being told in 'Severedcoils II,' and it is the more current story.

-'Severedcoils' will continue to see updates either in the interim between adventures (when the party is assumed to be traveling for several days, that gives me that much time to work with in DF), or when the party is actually visiting Severedcoils. Both threads will continue to tell the same story from two different perspectives. However, due to the nature of how time passes in these games, that means 'Severedcoils' will frequently be left on hiatus between adventures - so rather than wait for updates, go ahead and start 'Severedcoils II' when you reach the end of this thread, since that story is being updated actively.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:29:00 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:51 pm »

um, you do realize the ------- beside the goblin means they are present and violent towards you right?  If the word "goblin" isn't there at all is when they arn't present.
Nom nom nom

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:14:10 pm »

Spoiler: Location Stats (click to show/hide)

?? ?, 200, ?-Winter - By Zon Rimtarothil
=============

Zon Rimtarothil spat out her dwarven wine, creating a plump helmet-scented Mist that her drinking partners found pleasing.

"Wot's 'a matter, drink too strong?  Mayhaps we sh' shave yer beard!"  Obok Zirilkivish, mayor, and his hammerer guffawed.  A few other patrons at the Hairy Beakdog overheard, and laughed as well.

Zon flushed.  "Of course not!  No drink can best Zon Rimtarothil, regional fisherchamp!  'Twas your proposition that choked me."

"Proposition?  Nay.  Orders 's more like it.  Straight from King Minkot Zanegamkol, his highness'-self.  'E 'adn't ordered you to do it, mind, but 'e ordered me t' find some'n with the prickleberries to."  Obok's hammerer snorted in derision at his master's remark.

Zon heaved a sigh of relief, and sat back in her chair.  She wiped her beard with a XXPig tail ragXX and dared another swig of wine.

Fishing was a decent job, and one she was proud of.  But she wasn't happy with it.  Zon had always longed to be good at something that she could create and show the world.  Fishing didn't exactly do that, since the products of her labor would soon be eaten and forgotten.  She feared being forgotten in the world, and though she knew little of the history of the World of Typhoons, she wanted to be part of it.

Out of nowhere, Mayor Obok had requested her presence at the place he was well known to prefer doing his business - the tavern, of course - leading her into this predicament.

"You got nothin' t' worry about, Zon!  I already 'ave th' perfect spot picked out f'r ya."

Obok laid out a map and some other documents for Zon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Nice mountains, a chasm, jus' ou'side our borders, a brook... a nice chasm f'r yer mission... plus, our prospect'rs say there's a magma pipe b'low!  Not sure where, but you'll be ready t' smelt away a' soon a' ye find it!  An' 'ere's th' best part!"

"No stinkin' goblins!  See?  Crossed out ye so many times because there aren't any.  That's why we love them red lines - to cross stuff out.  A lot.  Absolutely not one goblin t' worry about honorin' yer warriors with.  Yup, that's what it says.  Ye jus' got t' worry 'bout them tree-huggin' elves.  Make a few crossbows out of 'em an' they'll leave ye alone!"

"Look, Obok--"

"Look, Zon.  Fishin's a dead end job, and I know 'at's how y' feel about it.  You could end up fishin' yer whole life.  This's yer only chance t' make somethin' of y'self... if ye catch my meanin'."

Zon frowned.  If she ever had to catch another fish again, it would be the death of her.  She gingerly picked up and reread the king's orders, set before her by the mayor.

To Mayor Obok Zirilkivish:

There are those among me who wish to take my throne.  They make demands of my loyal subjects, getting in the way of progress and my will.  I speak, of course, of the Barons, Counts, and Dukes of Subetrovod.  My subjects live in fear of them, leaving them no time or energy to fear me!!

My orders are simple and just, and you would do well never to question me about them.  I need you to find a dwarf capable of founding an outpost where these nobles will summarily be disposed of.  This operation is to be kept a secret between you, me, and whomever you deem worthy of this task.  Dispose of all others who find out.

Their consorts, however, are to remain alive and well cared for.  Annoyances they may be, they hold no real power, and thus do not threaten my crown.  Consider the community a rehabilitation clinic, where we sever these consorts of their marital coils and then keep them happy until such a time that they choose to leave on their own.

Do not fail me, Obok.  My records indicate you're about due for reelection...

Mountainking Minkot Zanegamkol, Lord of Subetrovod, "The Swift Arches."

No.  She couldn't.  Fame be damned, this was too much for Zon.  Fishing wouldn't necessarily be her end... on the contrary, she could migrate to a nearby community and leave!  She could... could......

Obok plucked the king's orders from her quivering hands.  He procured a quill pen from his ≡giant cave spider silk vest≡, dipped the end in Zon's wine, and scratched a single line onto the orders.  Then, he slid the parchment back across the table.  The hammerer glared at Zon as she inspected Obok's amendment to the orders.

This operation is to be kept a secret between you, me, and whomever you deem worthy of this task.  Dispose of all others who find out.

"So, Zon... Are ye up for it?"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 11:55:11 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »

1st Granite, 201, Early Spring
By Zon Rimtarothil
-------------

I survey my surroundings.  Red and loamy sand, no extreme elevations (except of course for the chasm), lots of ponds... Sounds keep coming out of that chasm, indicating some kind of life, but they aren't close.  We should be safe for the time being.

Six companions, twelve animals... Twelve?  I could have sworn we had... Oh, there they are.  Three two-humped camels and a horse.  They must have been standing behind the cats when I counted.

More than enough food and booze to keep us going while we get set up.  Well... Let's get started.

"This looks like a good spot!"

"'S good a spot as any, m'lord," said Fikod, one of the miners assigned to the expedition.

I blushed.  I've never been called 'm'lord' before, and it almost made me forget what I've been challenged to do here.  "Right... well... Could you start digging into the mountain here?  Let's get some rock over our heads as soon as possible."

My six companions stared blankly at me.

"Um... right, you need orders.  Sorry, this is all so new to me!"  Damn it, I'm showing weakness!  They'll never respect me!  *Ahem.*  "Now, I want you to carve a hallway into this rock!  20 squares in, then head towards the sand.  We'll place a farm when we get there."

That got them working.  This will take some adjustment.  I suppose I don't need to write down every single order I give, so I'll wait until something important happens.  For now I'm going to go fishing.  I know what I said back at the tavern, but hey, stick with what I know best, right?

27th Granite
-------------

Progress is going well on the fortress.  Four farm plots, alternating plump helmets and pig tails, and rooms being carved for workshops.  I have a plan for the entryway, so I need to leave some room around it.

'Twas a good thing I went fishing right away... I've already caught twelve turtles.  Our moody dwarves won't go without shells!

Alas, we do have a bit of a problem...

One of the cats wandered off and killed a giant rat.  It didn't make the local ratmen too happy.

This is a big problem... I only brought two cats, so I no longer have a breeding pair!  I hope some migrants bring a few more, otherwise we'll be having vermin problems down the line.

Spoiler: "OOC" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:23:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:47 pm »

I like the narration...do it all the way there!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:09:22 am »

Nice writing! I wouldn't mind that to continue until you reach 80 population
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:49 am »

:) time to dwarf dwarf dwarf it UP!
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 05:16:54 pm »

Cool - I'll post an update later tonight.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:16:40 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:32:20 am »

12th Limestone, 201, Early Autumn
-------------

Autumn already?  It seems we've only started.  I haven't had the time to write these past few months, what with the swift progress. 

Apart from fishing, I've become a fine wood cutter, in fact I feel about as competent with an axe as I do fishing with my bare hands.  Catching turtles and chopping trees follow the same principle, really.  There are also plenty of webs showing up higher in the mountain, so I know there's a cave spider around... We're going to need to create some traps for it.  Somebody's even gone and collected a few webs... which is nice, but I do hope they don't find themselves caught in one!

The other workers are really beginning to fall in line.  They follow my orders easily and without question.  Oh, if only they knew what we're doing out here...

I've ordered several 7x7 rooms to be carved out.  It seems a very good all-purpose size for a room, if I do say so myself.  Within these are temporary masonry and carpentry workshops which we'll use until we have proper bedrooms for ourselves.  Once the miners carve a proper hallway, those rooms will probably all become food stockpiles.

Upstairs, we have the beginnings of the crafting level.  Two craft workshops and a jeweler have already been established.  Fikod happily volunteered to take ownership of the jewel shop and has already cut and set several sunstones.  They seem to be appearing all over the place around here.  Eventually, we'll get to some of the other gems I spotted within the chasm - bone and milk opal, and emerald.

I've come to trust each of these dwarves as friends now.  Urdim Lärimònul helps me with the fishing and keeps the stills flowing with wine, Ast Numzasit is our farmer, our miners Fikod Rigòthishen, Rigòth Åmbim, and Asob Momuzzokun have proven themselves reliable, and our mason, Obok èrithkodor... well, he's very capable, but does he have to share the name of that damnable mayor?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:49:26 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 12:56:31 am »

14th Limestone, 201, Early Autumn
-------------

The traders have arrived!  Let's hope we have enough encrusted rock crafts to make good use of them.

I count over our trade goods.  Have I miscounted again?  No, I'm sure of it... Something has made off with our yellow zircons.  Blast!  If only we had the manpower to move it indoors... It was probably that rhesus macaque I spotted earlier.

As I approached the caravan, I noticed a very unusual sight indeed!  Asob, possibly the shyest lady of our bunch, was talking with the traders!

Asob and I like to joke about how our little band seemed to have been named after us, whether intentionally or not.  Obok gave us the name "The Crypts of Castles."  My name is Zon 'Castleweakened,' and Asob is called 'Cryptsieges.'  What are the odds?  We've had only a little time to chat between work, but from what I've gathered she doesn't much like crowds - and the trade depot being our designated meeting area, it seems the last place she'd be!  She was separated from her parents during the New Granite's Day Parade as a wee child, and spent the rest of her childhood in an orphanage.  'Tis very sad, but seeing her overcome those fears by herself to go establish our first trade relations...

Part of me wants to intervene, because I'm afraid she won't make the right choices... but I'm sure she would hate me for it.  I suppose I'll wait and see...

Ten mugs, five harps, five toys, and nine other crafts got us a full bin of leather, a bag each of plump helmet spawn and cave wheat seeds, a cat cage to replace the one that stupidly attacked a rat several times its own size, and a giant cave spider silk thread.  I wonder about the silk... We already have some and this was a huge investment, but then I see their faces and I understand.  She wants the traders to know that they will always make profit here if they bring the good, costlier silk.  Besides, it can be turned around into something more expensive later.  Impressive, Asob.

"Excuse me, but are you the manager here?"  The trade liaison hails me.

"Yes, ma'am!  You're talking to the Zon Rimtarothil, regional fishing champ and outpost manager of Zursulbalad!"

She looked around at the ponds outside, then snickered.  "This region?  My, I bet that was a thrilling competition, hoo hoo!"

"Well, now!  There's no need to be rude!"

"Sorry, some say my humor takes some getting used to.  I meant nothing by it.  My name is Unib Tunrithlut, and I will be your liaison to the mountainhome."

"Splendid.  Speaking of which, do you know when we might be expecting immigrants?"

Unib narrowed her eyes and looked at me down the bridge of her nose.  "Why?  This place getting too hard for you to handle already, hoo hoo?"

"Was that some of your award-winning humor as well?"

She began to answer, and then--

"Zon!  Zon, come quick!  I've found something!"

It was Asob's voice.  Oh, wonderful!  Perhaps she's found some gems, maybe something a bit more precious than sunstone?

Oh, dear...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:48:23 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:58:57 am »

17th Sandstone, 201, Mid-Autumn.
-------------

"Unib, PLEASE.  This is kind of important right now!"

"But I have important matters too!  And as long as I stand right here, you HAVE to pay attention to me, hoo hoo!"

This woman is incorrigible!  I've ordered a wall to be built in the opening to that pit, meanwhile I pick up my axe and stand by, ready to fight whatever comes in.  All of us received special training before embarking - every one of us is a skilled swimmer, but I took special lessons in axe combat to guard us from harm.

So here I stand next to this hole in the wall, batmen and cave swallowmen flying around while troglodytes and cave spiders lurk below... and Unib steps right in front of me, putting her back to the hole!!  Poor Obok came by to patch up the wall, but there was Unib standing right where the new wall needed to go!

"Honestly, do you think this is funny?  You're going to get somebody hurt!  Move!"

"But I have important matters of trade and commerce to speak to you about!  I won't let you out of my sight until we have this discussion!"

"Really, now.  Oh, hm!  Look at this crack over here!"  I moved to the other corner of the room.  "It's so big!"

Unib shuffled her feet, staring at Obok, standing confusedly by with alunite in his hand.  "Um... I'm not falling for it!  You just want me to move so that you can get this wall replaced and ignore me for the rest of the day!"

"You've been following me for three days now!!"  Come now, Zon, that wasn't very ladylike... but it was very, very dwarflike.  I tug my beard and try again.  "But seriously, this crack over here... Do you think it's the beginning of a new faultline?  There's a chasm nearby, I hope it's not going to open up and swallow us whole!"

"Um... Really?  Maybe I should take a look..."

Unib came over - and Obok, bless his heart, immediately set the stone in place and constructed the wall.  Unib looked for the crack, found none, turned to see the wall firmly in place, and then pouted at me like a little girl.

"It was for your own good, Unib.  A batman was likely to snatch you up and drop you into the bottomless pit!  I don't want this to be my last time seeing you!"

"Really?  Does this mean we're... friends?!"

I just frowned at her and walked off.  I need to cut some damn trees to blow off some steam.  This was going to be a long season.

-------------
24th Sandstone, 201, Mid-Autumn.
-------------

The traders left without Unib.  I can't blame them, really.  She's been at my heels since she arrived, talking my ear off and sharing with me every little pet peeve that she's acquired over the course of her entire life.  Unbelievable!

Ack!!  The traders ran into a pack of ratmen!  This is horrible!!  How will the mountainhome ever trust me if they don't get out alive?!  I can't bear to watch!!

Oh...

Huh... Nobody told me ratmen were total pushovers.

Looks like they hacked a batman to pieces, too.  I think I can relax a little.  The cave spiders seem to be taking out these flying pests here and there as well, so I don't feel too threatened.  All the same, maybe we should get some crossbows.

I've ordered two butcher shops, two tanner shops, and changed the direction of our main hall since we clearly can't move east.  A chasm, a bottomless pit that was a complete surprise, and a magma pipe still waiting to be found... The mayor truly picked this place with nobilicide in mind.

Spoiler: "OOC" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:26:12 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 05:55:28 pm »

17th Timber, 201, Late-Autumn
-------------

Our first migrant wave is on our way!  I begin counting the new arrivals.  I'm starting to enjoy counting things, it seems!  Let's see... One, two, thr--

What?  What?!  The migrants are under attack!!  Oh, curse me for underestimating those vile winged creatures!  I grab my axe and head outside.

"Gwah!!  Zon, save me!!"  Unib cowers behind me.

"Tun!  Tuuuun!!"  One of the migrants is screaming his name.  A gem setter, I'm later told.  He was only the first.

I run outside to see a farmer being chased by-- egads, it's huge!!  A giant bat is closely tailing one of the new farmers!  I try to wave her down, to get her to draw the creature near me as I pray to Armok that my (Steel axe) is enough to fight this thing.  She doesn't notice, and instead runs right for the brook where it strikes her down.

I stake a post in front of the fortress, when Unib taps me on the shoulder.  ((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I turn, and she offers me a quill and some documents.

"Wha... what are you doing!!"

"Zon, I love you like a sister, but... I really feel as if now is the right time to discuss our trade agreements!"

"Are you out of your mind?!"

"Look, the sooner I get out of here, the less chance I have of being killed by Azinidos, 'Watchcalls' the giant bat!"

"Azin... you named it?!  You're insane, you know that?!"

"Just sign the documents, please!!"

I've never seen another dwarf so frightened in my entire life.  Maybe the bat had eaten its fill, and if signing some documents and sending this woman on her way would save a life, perhaps I should get it over with.  I made my requests, and handed the documents back to Unib.

"Noo, stay away!!"

Another peasant being chased by the bat... leading it right towards the gate!  I ready my axe...

"No!  Go the other way!!"  Unib shouted and waved her arms at the peasant.  "Don't bring it over here!"

The peasant changed direction and headed up the hill, away from me and the front gate.  A sickening scream followed only moments later.

"Unib!!  Damn you, have you got the bones of an elf in you?!  You've just sent that peasant to his death!"

"But it might have come over here!"

"That was the plan!  I'm holding an axe!!"

"Your plan was to lure it into the mouth of your settlement?!  If it got inside, it would have killed us all!"

She was right... And here I was, cursing this poor girl for being a coward.  But she had a point.  At least now, the bat would leave us alone.  No more dwarves had to die today.

...Except for one more peasant.

"What the hell!!  You idiots, stay inside!!"

Everyone stopped and stared.  Asob spoke up.

"But, Zon... We need to collect our dead!  They deserve a proper resting place..."

"Collecting your dead is forbidden!!  Collecting items from your dead is forbidden!!  If you go out there, it'll be your final resting place too!"

She shrunk back, like a wounded animal.  I felt it in my heart that I had stung her badly.  The others didn't look much happier.  They all went back to work, looking a little dazed.  Even Unib had finally shut up.

Five deaths already, and we haven't even made it through three full seasons.  Eight migrants tried to arrive this season, of them only four made it.  In this, I've learned that counting isn't always so enjoyable...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:58:07 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 06:03:28 pm »

grrr blasted bats >:(
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »

This is pretty good so far.

Was that a GCS in the bottomless pit?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 06:55:27 pm »

No, just your regular run-of-the-mill cave spider.  I haven't given up hope on the GCS though, there could be one hiding on one of the levels where it looks like nothing's happened yet.

Oh, you might have noticed some graphics problems in a few screenshots.  One of my image files was screwed up because I accidentally re-saved it in Photoshop.  This has been corrected.
Do it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54