Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do dwarves ALWAYS go do something else when they relly shouldn't?  (Read 1785 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

It annoys the hell out of me. For example:

-traders will be leaving soon-
Broker: I'm thirsty! Time for a drink!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile

Because they're drunken axe-wielding lemmings.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile

Thanks for stating the obvious :P
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

This is why I create a burrow that covers only the trade depot, and when it's time to trade the broker gets restricted to that burrow.  You don't get to eat or drink till you trade, dammit!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.Trader requested at Depot:

On Break (from what, partying?)
Drinking
On Break
Eating
On Break
Sleeping

2:Anyone Can Trade, grrrrrrrrrr

Which is why I have a dedicated trader/mayor with no other labors as soon as I can.  It helps very slightly.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which is why I have a dedicated trader/mayor with no other labors as soon as I can.  It helps very slightly.

Uh oh ... I remember in another thread (back in 40d) that we discussed personality types. and it seems that the personality of a successful mayor conflicts with the personality of a successful trader.
 Basically a trader needs to be deceptive and cold, while the mayor needs to be friendly and warm in order to calm tantrumers. These personalities conflict and you're almost always best off with different dwarves for the jobs.

Then again that might be what you meant, I don't know.
I have an art blog now.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just don't care about calming tantrumers very much.  Or about sneakiness of trading either.  Mediocre is fine.

Easy to produce enough goods to buy anything you want anyway by the point where you can specialize.  And easy enough to keep dwarves happy aside from when people die.

Meh, stuff is cheap and casualties happen.  Plus, skills actually matter for both anyway I think, skills can make up for natural inclination.

EDIT: Reply to below:

More importantly, who needs a legendary Mayor?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:05:39 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh, stuff is cheap and casualties happen.  Plus, skills actually matter for both anyway I think, skills can make up for natural inclination.

Yeah, just that they can't develop certain skills depending on personality.

Anyway I'm just splitting hairs here, who needs a legendary dwarf anyway.
I have an art blog now.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My mayor/trader is restricted to his own isolated platform, along with the trade depot. He has more than enough food and water to live happily. The bridge to the depot is only lowered when it's time to loot after trading. The platform has ballistae aimed at it from all sides.

The reason for this is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
diplomats who would otherwise get distracted will actually conduct their meeting and leave, and if they screw up the meeting by destroying furniture, I can kill them.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."