Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108]

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 133808 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1605 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »

I like the idea of forum mysteries but I don't think they mesh too well with mafia.  Either the mystery has to be unsolvable or the mafia has a chance of being hit by something out of their control.

One way it could work is if the culprit and mod devised the mystery together, so it's not just something the culprit gets handed down.
If the mafia had no hand in it, it would be upsetting. Makes sense.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 20, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »

One way it could work is if the culprit and mod devised the mystery together, so it's not just something the culprit gets handed down.
This is an interesting idea. I guess the mod could create a skeleton plot and have the scum revise it and such.

Either the mystery has to be unsolvable or the mafia has a chance of being hit by something out of their control.
My original idea was to have clues that could point to multiple people and the better the town's investigations the more meaningful the clues would be. There would also be misleading things and red herrings. The culprit would be given the option of who to kill, how, where etc which would impact the town's investigations. I.E. if the scum made a kill in a room adjacent to one which another player was in that player might hear something. Also kills won't necessarily happen at night. hmm this is started to become too complicated.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 20, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

My idea would be to have the moderator give the scum a bunch of suggested "tricks" they can use (with some of them based on the character's skill) and then have the mafia help in turning that into an actual scheme.

I've also been meaning to post a murder mystery puzzle in FG&R for ages though, I should probably get to doing that.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 20, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »

My mind is still obsessing with the idea of Geriatric Mafia, where the town is cranky and the real killer is old age. Would anyone mind lending me an ear though, so that way I could get some of the ideas out of my brain?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 26, 2013, 11:53:05 pm »

Thought some more and I think integrating Leafsnail's idea into the murder mystery might work.

A player wins if he/she kills another person and gets away with it.

There will be some "explore" phases. At the end of the explore phase everyone PM's the mod a role-play type action to examine a room and such. The "better" the roleplay the better the result. After a kill is committed, the game will enter the "search" phases. Search phase works the same way as explore phase except clues more likely related to the murder will be found. Once again better searching will give better results. The murderer can use the search phases to cover up evidence and misguide town into searching the wrong areas and such. After the search phases the game goes to the "trial" phase. People discuss the evidence and lynch a person. If the person lynched is innocent, the killer wins. Otherwise the game goes to another set of explore phases and so on.

Every player will be given a set of "skills" to use based a talent theme. For example if someone was good at basketball he might be able to reach places other people can't, etc. Players should consider these skills when choosing who to kill and how, etc.

Every player will have a "synergy gain" with other players. If two characters hate each other and both search the same area, neither will get a good result, but if two characters work well together, then if they both search the same room their results will be augmented. This is to prevent everyone from pairing up which would make it really easy to determine a killer.

If the game goes for too many explore phases everyone will lose.

PMing will be allowed in every phase except the trial phase.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:11 am »

Quantum Mafia!

The Meta-Scenario:

Even as you read this, in an infinite number of parallel worlds, an infinite number of players are reading a thread more or less like this one. In each of those worlds, the players will be playing a very simple Mafia game. Their rules will be as follows:
Players are either Town or Corrupt; there are no Independents.
The Townies win when they have lynched all the Corrupt.
The Corrupt win when they are equal or superior in number to the Townies.
Players, whether Town or Corrupt, do *not* have to survive to win. Townies, living or dead, win when the Town wins. The Corrupt, living or dead, win when the Corrupt win.
Days last 24 hours, and begin at 20:00 server.
Every day, all living players must vote to lynch one of their number. Voting is mandatory. If a player has not voted by the end of the day, he is deemed to have voted for himself.
The player with the most votes will be lynched. A majority is not necessary. The dice will decide any ties.
Nights last 24 hours, and begin at 20:00 server. Players may not post to the thread at night.
Every night, the Godfather must send that night's kill target to the GM.
If the Godfather is lynched, another one of the Corrupt becomes the Godfather.
The Corrupt may not kill one of their own.
Every night, all potential Investigators must send their night's Investigation targets to the GM.
There are no powers other than alignment Investigators. However, all Townies believe themselves to be alignment Investigators until one of their conclusions is proven wrong (think *Clue*). One of the Townies is actually an alignment Investigator whose conclusions are always correct.
All the other Townies receive random results each night until one of their random results is proven wrong.
A dead player may make a single death post to the thread. He or she may not otherwise communicate with other players.

As metaplayers in the Quantum Mafia metagame, an abstraction of all of those hundreds of games, you will follow all the rules of those basic games, except that you may post to our metathread whenever you like.

Game Mechanics:

Before the start of each Day, each Metaplayer is PM'D his/her current Corrupt/Town percentage.

At the start of the game, all Metaplayers will have the same chance of being Town or of being Corrupt, and all Metaplayers will believe themselves to be Investigators.  Although this game is being played in hundreds of parallel worlds, we will assume that each player makes the same choice of lynch vote, and, if applicable, the same choice of night kill or Investigation target, in each of those hundreds of worlds. So you only need to send me one lynch vote each day and, if applicable, one night-kill vote or Investigation target per night.

Night kills only take effect when the Godfather is lynched. All players killed by the Godfather immediately become 100% dead and out of the game, and they stand revealed at that time as 100% Town, since the Corrupt cannot kill their own.  Whenever a Metaplayer is determined to be Corrupt, he or she *will* prove to be the Godfather.  (The uncertainty about that is only a feature of the basic game, not the Metagame.)

Lynchings take effect at once. A player who has been lynched is 100% dead and out of the game.

If the true Investigator is killed, then he or she is revealed in death as the true Investigator and all of his or her conclusions become true.  There is only One True Investigator; once he/she is dead, that's it for Investigation.

Quantum ghosts (players actually night-killed earlier, but not yet known to be dead) may behave as though they were alive until they are determined to be 100% dead. (What, you've never heard of entire graveyards voting?)[/quote]
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: December 31, 2013, 10:04:14 am »

I have posted a new thread, since I think this one is a bit unclear in its intentions (and the OP is inactive).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:43 am »

e: wrong thread, I meant to post this in the new one.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108]