Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204137 times)

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:15 pm »

If I put an animal trap next to a cage trap, will the trapped vermin act as bait for the main cage trap if I'm trying to trap carnivorous beasties?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 13, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »

Probably not, because:
1. currently animals don't actually eat in this game, and
2. vermin is only recognized as prey by cats, or animals modded to be like cats in this respect (via the verminhunter tag).

EDIT: Just remembered something. I've seen dead olms in my last fort, despite having no cats. Suggests that something else must have been hunting and killing them, and it was probably cave spiders.

How that piece of information will help you, I do not know. Cats and cave spiders targeting vermin is far from a believable indication of bears or tigers doing the same.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:04:15 pm by assimilateur »

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »

Ok. Other question is I just noticed the area I'm in has giant eagles. Anyone have tips on capturing flying creatures?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:13 pm »

Ok. Other question is I just noticed the area I'm in has giant eagles. Anyone have tips on capturing flying creatures?

That's actually way easier than you'd think. Put some cage traps in the front entrance of your fort. Eventually they'll come in, the tunnel will force them to ground level, and trapped.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 13, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

If I put an animal trap next to a cage trap, will the trapped vermin act as bait for the main cage trap if I'm trying to trap carnivorous beasties?

Someone has already answered your direct question, so I'm just offering an alternative for the effect you want: Chain an animal and place the cage trap at the only path to the animal.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 14, 2010, 12:19:37 am »

EDIT: Just remembered something. I've seen dead olms in my last fort, despite having no cats. Suggests that something else must have been hunting and killing them, and it was probably cave spiders.

The webs catch the olms. That's what's going on there, in case you were wondering.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1506 on: February 14, 2010, 01:21:41 am »

Do I hook horizontal axles up to the side of a screw pump that the water comes out or the water comes in? (no, not at the front or back but at the side)

I don't want a row of screw pumps - I want 2 screw pumps with a few spaces in between them.

So is it
Code: [Select]
IO
X.
IO
or
Code: [Select]
IO
.X
IO
where i=intake o=output .=floor X=axle?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 14, 2010, 01:24:39 am »

It doesn't matter. You can hook them up to the end if you want.
The sigs topic:

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:53 am »

stones create FPS problems, correct?

I'm spending inordinate amounts of time quantum stockpiling them in hopes of remedying my lag (and efficiently cranking out hundreds of stone blocks for the mountainside castle I'm working on, but I digress), but is there an easier way of raising my FPS?  does hiding the stone accomplish this?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 14, 2010, 01:54:43 am »

Hiding the stone does not improve processing, so it doesn't cut lag. Dumping all of the stone in one place can potentially increase lag, but won't decrease it. The reason people quantum-dump stone to decrease lag is that they are quantum-dumping it into a chasm or garbage compactor (atom-smashing bridge). Or, if they don't know better, they're dumping it into magma and creating possibly thousands of "ghost-globs" due to a glitch, thus not helping their processing speed much.
The sigs topic:

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 14, 2010, 01:55:34 am »

It would be better to obliterate surplus wild animal populations, cage as many tame animals as possible, and stop any huge water flows. (I.E, giant waterfalls)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 14, 2010, 02:00:59 am »

Hiding the stone does not improve processing, so it doesn't cut lag. Dumping all of the stone in one place can potentially increase lag, but won't decrease it. The reason people quantum-dump stone to decrease lag is that they are quantum-dumping it into a chasm or garbage compactor (atom-smashing bridge). Or, if they don't know better, they're dumping it into magma and creating possibly thousands of "ghost-globs" due to a glitch, thus not helping their processing speed much.

thank you so much.  TO THE STEEL DRAWBRIDGE, CURSED STONE!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 14, 2010, 02:07:58 am »

thank you so much.  TO THE STEEL DRAWBRIDGE, CURSED STONE!
One more thing, NEVER LOCK ANIMALS IN A ROOM.

They hog frames trying to calculate a way out of the room even though they can't.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 14, 2010, 02:12:56 am »

they're dumping it into magma and creating possibly thousands of "ghost-globs" due to a glitch

Unless you mean "ghost" items that won't even show up on the stock screen (which would be a new phenomenon to me), I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 figures of them for every couple thousand stones melted in magma.

Now if I did want to make sure I dumped stuff down a chasm as opposed to into magma, would flushing my garbage work? I'd like to avoid having my dwarves carry garbage all the way to the chasm, which is usually going to be outside my main shaft, so having a way of conveying it towards the chasm by mechanical means would be helpful.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 14, 2010, 02:13:57 am »

One more thing, NEVER LOCK ANIMALS IN A ROOM.

They hog frames trying to calculate a way out of the room even though they can't.

Ah, got to be a little more specific than that or you'll give people the wrong idea.

The problem is that if you forbid a door to animals ("tightly closed"), and the animal wants to get past the door, it will constantly check the path even though there is none (the door is forbidden to them!)

Blocking them or locking them in by any other means (bridges, L-forbidden doors, etc) is perfectly fine.

they're dumping it into magma and creating possibly thousands of "ghost-globs" due to a glitch

Unless you mean "ghost" items that won't even show up on the stock screen (which would be a new phenomenon to me), I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 figures of them for every couple thousand stones melted in magma.

Now if I did want to make sure I dumped stuff down a chasm as opposed to into magma, would flushing my garbage work? I'd like to avoid having my dwarves carry garbage all the way to the chasm, which is usually going to be outside my main shaft, so having a way of conveying it towards the chasm by mechanical means would be helpful.

It's a glitch; it's not consistent. You've just been lucky. Dumping items into a magma vent where they will fall off the map if the dump is well-placed is a common successful tactic as well. It's just equivalent to using a chasm.

Items will be flushed by a high enough water flow, but I don't really know how DF handles it. Maybe someone can tell you what would be necessary to get heavy stones to flush a significant distance, but I'd imagine it would be considerable. You can drop them off the map through underground river exit tiles as well, of course.

The thing is: the best and most convenient way to get rid of unwanted items is atomsmashing, period. You can build your one-tile atomsmashing bridge anywhere you want, so the hauling distance can be whatever you want it to be. You can build as many of them as you want. And you can build the lever(s) wherever you want.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:18:59 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 181