Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 124364 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile

Ok people! Time for another update!

As of today, I'm roughly at the half way point of Suika Fortress's transfer to the 0.31.x version.

As of now I've added in more of the yukkuri and started putting in the graphics. Thanks to mayday's configurations I was able to figure out where to place in other soldier types. So as it stands right now, I now have graphics displayed.

Here's a little sneak peak of what you can expect. ^^

With the way things are going I managed to make some good progress. But I still have some ways to go before I can consider this done.

And now I reached one of the fun points... creating the yukkuri medicene.

Now this yukkuri will end up replacing the giant scorpion, but what I would like to figure out would be...what kind of poisons should I give it?
How to make it breath poisons....
and.... how to make it's body release poisonous gasses at a constant basis.

I plan to look over everythign here in the modding section to see if I can figure it out.

But advice and tips would be useful as well.

Thanks. ^^
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm surprised no one had given me any tips here on the poisons. I had to go do all the digging and research on my own (and ask the df modding crew for answers). Because learning how to create the proper breath and poisons is a little trickier than I first expeceted. Luckly though I managed to complete the task.

As of right now I managed to give the Letty, Cirno and Medicene yukkuris their own unique poisons. Their bodies also release a mist though it's in a duration of puffs rather than a misty trail(like Miasma). At least it's better than having them die when they release their gas lol.

But I guess that'll do for now till I can find a better example. I still have a few more to go before I complete the basic yukkuri list.

I suppose once I can release an earlier version. I wanted to complete it first, but seeing the lack of activity, I feel I'm rambling on to myself now. Ah well, in the long run this will be fun for those who love Touhou anyways.

So once I complete the basic subterannian yukkuris  and fix up some sprites, I'm release an early version so that you all can fiddle with it. Maybe then you all can provide me some extra feedback then.

I'll likely have the stuff transfered in a few days. After the release is when I'll being work on the other yukkuris I made recently that I will be new and not just replacements as well as find a home for my once former HFS yukkuri.

As usual any feedback is welcome.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.5.5- A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »

OK guys I know you've been waiting for a while, but I can at least tell you that phase one is finally done. And maybe now some of you can be part of a bug testing audience to see if anything is wrong and needs work. Please let me know if you find anything. Here's my description of the update:

V0.5.5: I finally determined an estimation how much work I will ultimately have to do with Suika Fortress for it to be considered truely "complete" and it'll be something that won't be very quick either as it'll require a few for Toady to add the nesseary features in the long and distant future (like magics and unique animal behaviors ect.) for it to be technically "complete, plus ZUN would have to end the Touhou series. (like that will happen anytime soon lol)

Anyways, in this update, I've currently transfered all the Suikas and yukkuris over to their 0.31.x series. Along with the basic mayday components and some vinilla creatures. Gave them all descriptions to their behavior like hair, skin and eyes.

I've also took advantage of the new poison system and make several yukkuri carry some rather *FUN* dieseases! Finally I have thrown in some more yukkuri in the sprite sheet that I have not implimented yet plus some other things I need to do. This is why this is V0.5.5 and not V0.6, as I got alot of work ahead for me since I now have to start working on coming up with a way for the new yukkuris to fit in plus some othere interesting creatures I may throw in.

Bug testing would be appricated and you can leave your comments in the DF forum topic about Suika Fortress in the mod section.

Everything should work for now and as I said if you spot any graphic or detail bugs that need fixing. Please let me know. it'll be important.

Thanks and here's the file for you all to enjoy.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suika Fortress Mod UPDATED- V0.6.0 or V6 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 01:53:07 am »

Well I'm still surprised, but I guess most of the Touhou fanbase is pretty much laying low cause I'm surprised I haven't gotten much feedback on this.

Either way, I'm now proud to announce that I have finally finished all the requirements I had planned for this version of Suika Fortress. As of now I have finally gotten through all the massive sprite work and editing that I needed to put in the game. Some things had to be changed and there were some things I couldn't include in this version until toady can get around to fixing some of the problems with material beings. When that comes up I'll be likely to update.

But for now, with every release, I'll be making tiny updates to cover all the changes Toady does and make the update fit the specifications.

Here's my post on the information for the update.
V.0.6.0 or V6: Went through and made a massive over by adding in pretty much nearly every yukkuri species in the book so far. I also put together sprites and made then have many unique behavior characteristics. Some yukkuri and megabeast I have not included due to the bugs that dwell in the current version. Until the material beings can get some fixing some creatures have been put as DO NOT EXSIST for now.

I also went and placed on a portion of mayday's sprites for some creatures but for some of the others I made my own renditions. This also includes some underground cirtters and a stingray.

Biokkuris are now lightly green skins since I want to seperate them from the orginal yukkuris they are altered from.

Finally I went through and fixed some blood and text errors and made some changes to some text.

But for now unless there is something important someone can give me for a new feature to add or I put something big in there myself. This will conclude most of the updating I'll be doing with Suika Fortress for now.

As usual, your feedback will be most accepted since I'm always looking to improve the mod. ^^

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress UPDATED- V0.6.0 or V6 A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 02:46:53 am »

Keep up the good work. While there aren't very many posts I'm sure many people appreciate your efforts.

I'm going to add this to my personal mixed-mod (not going to release it or anything so don't worry) tomorrow.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 03:45:17 am »

I havnt a clue what touhou is but this mod looks like fun to play around with. Floating head creatures made of beanpaste, hehehe.

Also another good example of how you can mod pretty much anything into DF, as long as you dont mind seeing it die horribly.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 09:49:18 am »

Right, caught up with this thread after discovering the Suika Fortress succession game over at MotK. I've mentioned a few things already over in MotK but seeing what you've got for Kobolds currently... I feel ordinary generic fairies should fit the Kobold race perfectly. Ok maybe they'd come in larger numbers, but fairies are certainly lower down the ladder than Momiji. If it must be a Yukkuri, I guess Daiyousei is the candidate then. Momiji (especially given the fuss kicked up by Double Spoiler's Momiji) is too valued to assign to Kobold status.

I've mentioned over in MotK the suggestion to adapt Nitorikkuri as a domestic animal so we can butcher them for shells. Seeing you already assigned them as Merpeople... uh... what's your thoughts on Genji? I can try thinking harder if you're up for some sort of domestic animal that yields shells.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »

Right, caught up with this thread after discovering the Suika Fortress succession game over at MotK. I've mentioned a few things already over in MotK but seeing what you've got for Kobolds currently... I feel ordinary generic fairies should fit the Kobold race perfectly. Ok maybe they'd come in larger numbers, but fairies are certainly lower down the ladder than Momiji. If it must be a Yukkuri, I guess Daiyousei is the candidate then. Momiji (especially given the fuss kicked up by Double Spoiler's Momiji) is too valued to assign to Kobold status.

I've mentioned over in MotK the suggestion to adapt Nitorikkuri as a domestic animal so we can butcher them for shells. Seeing you already assigned them as Merpeople... uh... what's your thoughts on Genji? I can try thinking harder if you're up for some sort of domestic animal that yields shells.

Fairies.... some reason, doesn't making a race that can fly mess up thier AI drasticly? That's one reason I avoided that. ( recall another Touhou fan here who tried to male harpies a playable race, but it crashed hard due to flying.)

I wanted to settle with something that seems more likely to move around across the ground. Thus the Momizi seemed like the best canidate. :P True Momizi isn't anywhere as sad as she use to be, but if you noticed... I gave thier race rabies. It should make them pretty much lethal if you are by any chance biten (unless you have a doctor who's handy that is..)

Course I could always make it a daiyousei...but it would mean doing some reworking with the current layout for the creatures I put together....especially the sprites.

This is most likely something I'll consider changing though since the suggestion seems worth while look into.

Second about the shells, in general, usually turtles are readily avalaible in most locations. I just happens that this area that we're playing out game at just happen to have non which is rare...

I personally like the idea of Nitorikkuris having shells, but I rather shells remain as an item you have to catch if you can earn it. Also the suggestion of Genji while seems promising leave me to debate a bit because this is as identical as that of allowing touhou charaters into the game. Sure it would be awesome, but it just doesn't seem right. Especially at this time... I would wait till Toady allows magic into the system... especially if it'll include teleportation (This is one of the key reasons I haven't included a yukari yukkuri because I would need her to have the abiility to blink or telerport to different locations....)

But then again.... I've allowed Unzan, mainly because he's made of clouds and thus only disappears when killed *meaning he'll likely reappear again* though until the Material bodies are fixed, I can't allow him in since he's too frail.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:00 pm »

Hmm, flying fairies would certainly cause trouble. But technically the mini-suikas can fly in canon yet we don't let them fly in Suika Fortress. I don't see too much trouble with just saying fairies cannot fly and only have vestigal wings. Alternatively, maybe make a generic fairy yukkuri? One so pathetic even Daiyoukkuri outshines them.

Oh and I didn't mean introducing Genji himself, but to make Genjikkuris. Which is a mind-swirling concept I know... Well, you prefer shells being something earnt instead of brought along at embark/trade so... how about making an underground animal (that way, they show up no matter what the surface biome is) have shells on butchering? If I am to get morbid, Koishikkuri (and/or Satorikkuri) could be re-introduced as one of the underground animals that releases a shell - the casing for the 3rd eye.

On a tangent, I feel there ought to be Mahjong Sets and Shogi Boards as toys. For cooked food, instead of "biscuit", "stew" and "roast" how about "curry", "sukiyaki" and "sushi"?
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »

Hmm, flying fairies would certainly cause trouble. But technically the mini-suikas can fly in canon yet we don't let them fly in Suika Fortress. I don't see too much trouble with just saying fairies cannot fly and only have vestigal wings. Alternatively, maybe make a generic fairy yukkuri? One so pathetic even Daiyoukkuri outshines them.

Oh and I didn't mean introducing Genji himself, but to make Genjikkuris. Which is a mind-swirling concept I know... Well, you prefer shells being something earnt instead of brought along at embark/trade so... how about making an underground animal (that way, they show up no matter what the surface biome is) have shells on butchering? If I am to get morbid, Koishikkuri (and/or Satorikkuri) could be re-introduced as one of the underground animals that releases a shell - the casing for the 3rd eye.

On a tangent, I feel there ought to be Mahjong Sets and Shogi Boards as toys. For cooked food, instead of "biscuit", "stew" and "roast" how about "curry", "sukiyaki" and "sushi"?

Interesting idea you have there. I'm at least for the Satoris' 3rd eye having shells. That seems alright in my book.
I'll look into the toy thing....

And as for food.... I'm not sure... I know that would be accurate. I almost wanted to make Taiyaki since were dealing with bean paste...but there's still regular animals too... so it makes things a bit complicated... besides can you make bean paste curry?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »

Interesting idea you have there. I'm at least for the Satoris' 3rd eye having shells. That seems alright in my book.
I'll look into the toy thing....

And as for food.... I'm not sure... I know that would be accurate. I almost wanted to make Taiyaki since were dealing with bean paste...but there's still regular animals too... so it makes things a bit complicated... besides can you make bean paste curry?
The toy additions are easy:
Spoiler: item_toy.txt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: entity_default.txt (click to show/hide)

As for food, since when have dwarves (and by extension, drunken mini-suikas) ever cared about the finer points of gastronomy? Dwarven cooking = "mince it all up, stick it together and hope it stays together". How you're meant to enjoy biscuits made entirely of fat or stews made entirely with sugar, we don't ask. What point there is in mashing various berries together and sticking it in the oven with no flour (at least you could say it's a pie otherwise), we don't ask.

In fact, here's what my personal item_food.txt file looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarves randomly choose one of those entries when making a cooked product. I don't ever question what cake with only mushrooms and fat must taste like, nor do I ask about sugar sushi - dwarves have invincible stomachs like Index and messed up tongues like Hisui.

I like the idea of Taiyaki, better than my curry idea I shoved in for an easy meal name. No doubt you'll end up with cucumber+brain taiyaki fillings at times, but will a drunken suika really care? It's masterfully minced, therefore it's gourment cuisine. It's up to the player to ensure cooked products use sensible ingredients for the sake of sanity.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:43:25 pm by Psieye »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »

Well after reading what you have said, I guess it makes sense, I can see about putting this stuff in, and I guess with that kind of logic Suika would make anything into taiyaki which is rather strange, but makes sense at the same time. So I will look into rearranging this around definetly!

As of this point, I've decided that after I do my turn at the MotK run (wether I die or survive) I will begin planning out all these wonderful suggestions you given heck, I could do some sprites for these. Alot of these actually have a purpose! So I'm going to apply them into the up coming mod and will esepcially update it to the DFFD once it's complete.

I thank you for all the brilliant ideas you given as of this point Psieye.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 03:25:29 pm »

I thank you for all the brilliant ideas you given as of this point Psieye.
And I thank you for giving daylight to these ideas as well as bringing Touhou to Dwarf Fortress (and Dwarf Fortress to Touhou as is the case over at MotK). I've had a bunch of modding ideas (my old ideas thread) for a while now but RL ties me down with increasing pressure so I thought I'd have to give up on these ideas for many months. Not all my ideas are appropriate for Suika Fortress, but a lot of them are (clear glass and depleted uranium mahjong sets!).

Let's see what becomes possible/valueable as more of the bugs get fixed. I'm of the mind that having a custom workshop (called Library) to train up the obscure skills is useful - namely, Organisation and Teaching should be studied by soldiers in their off-time so they can give group demonstrations better. But since group demonstrations are broken, I haven't tested how valueable such a feature would be.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 12:20:52 am »

Ok, here's an update for you all who are watching..

Taking Psieye's advice, I went through the list of item that are present and altered them. So start as of this point, I Suikas can farm the following goods:

Toy will contain the following changes as they are now renamed to more traditional japanese games and toys:

Cooked foods have been changed to include more traditional Japanese foods:

And finally Japanese instuments will replace the regular insturments:

Course once again, I can give credit to Psieye for coming up wit some of the ideas that inspired this. As of right now I have placed these in the system, but I won't be testing them yet since I still need to consider redoing the Satoris slightly and then finish up with redoing the Kobolds and the wolves now (thanks to Psieye's idea once again) This will probably take a few days but then I should have it mostly together.

So for now, what I presented here is an idea of what I'm going to impliment into Suika Fortress more or less.

Also I hope you won't mind your parentheses being turned into cucumbers

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:02 am »

Ohhh, you've added a lot of instruments and other items. The cooked meals... makes me want to play Elona again for the crazy cuisine I could make in that game (while it lacks the sheer illogic of DF, it made up for it with variety).

Btw Totaku, have you implemented a Chinakkuri or Tenshikkuri yet? Discussions over at this thread have made me think of tank-class creatures (yukkuri) who are as tough as armoured foes and their bones/leather provide excellent (Bronze or Steel class) protection.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:48:09 am by Psieye »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33