Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress an Arch-Conservative Nightmare?

Yes
- 15 (22.4%)
Mostly
- 10 (14.9%)
Sorta
- 12 (17.9%)
A little
- 4 (6%)
No
- 26 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress Arch-Conservative  (Read 24742 times)

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress Arch-Conservative
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 05:12:22 am »

it's more  a deformed worker's republic

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:54 am »

Most of those things have nothing to do with conservatism.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 03:07:48 pm »

Oh, and slavery is legal. So, Labor Standards should be placed as C+.

How??? I've been trying to get slaves forever.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

Oh, and slavery is legal. So, Labor Standards should be placed as C+.

How??? I've been trying to get slaves forever.

You don't. Rather, the dwarves get slaves at worldgen. There is a chance, when you start up a fort, that you can get a couple of slaves (I got an elf slave during my LP of Dwarf Fortress), but all new immigrant will be dwarves.

Right now, it' just flavorism.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 06:37:27 am »

For the devs Dwarf Fortress will never be truly complete and new features are being constantly added. Quite recently you not only can torture captured foes but also interrogate them by either persuasion or intimidation.

Dwarf Fortress is still mostly right-wing when it comes to the ethics of dwarves. Since this is a low fantasy game and such games are well settled in any human era (even modern) Adams brothers decided to settle it in a randomly generated medieval era with influences from various other mythos such as roc from Middle East, adamant (as adamantine) and other gags from Ancient Greece and so on.

The sole facts of Dwarf Fortress being right wing, most gamers being probably leftist and getting away with mass child murders make this game less likely to success on Steam once poeple figure this out. Children are a disturbing topic.

So how can liberals find themselves in a game like it?

So far humans in this game have partially random ethics to simulate for different they are from each other in real life. It is possible to encounter a human civilization that could be considered to be highly leftist by the medieval europe era standards. Leftist-looking civs would still sentence criminals to death. Why? Because of limited resources. Notice how some real life mostly right wing nations threat various prisoners by feeding them when they are locked up instead of torturing them and not even forcing them to labour. Now so farming food is done with machines instead of human work starvation in certain regions of the world is no more. Poor nations prefer not to feed prisoners that aren't productive at all. Society has to function.

Elfs are so far the most leftist-looking race in the game and could be tried in adventure mode. They value nature over anything else to the point of declaring wars upon civilizations that pose enough threat to the trees. They still however are fine with chopping them to some extent. Some real life mostly liberal nations still produce CO2 because they may have no better thing to do to when gathering energy. They possess a theoretically soon to be real life transhumanic biological immortality. Right wing voters would be vastly trying to enjoy it too however traditionally human life is supposted to come to an end at some point ("memento mori") and leftist technological advancement does anything it can to negate it. Do you even know how much atheism is going to rise after people become non-aging? People worship religions because they want to be preserved forever somewhere even another dimension. However once humanity overcomes aging and other global issues there would be one thing we probably won't beat: The End of Universe. Would people suddenly become religious again? They are so eco-friendly that they live on trees and use low-tier weapons. Probably because those are from renewable sources.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 03:18:00 pm »

Here's the facts about Dwarf Fortress:

NO abortions are forbidden in Dwarf Fortress
Gorlaks can join the fortress if their application is accepted.
No right to bear arms except when they are tools/ Weapons are easily trackable and are the collective property.
Goverment is ruled by a King, with symbolic authority (the king doesnt even have the power to declare war)
Guards answer their hierarchy yes.
NO taxes (for starting fortesses)
No taxes (at all).
Military is fully controlled.
No animal torture, pets are protected by the law. Non pets will not be killed after defending themselves against a tantruming dwarf.

Privacy is a requirement and overseer are expected to fullfill it.
Capital punishment exists in principle but executors may be given toy hammers and instructed to give only one strike on the head. Death penalty is fortress dependent.
No nuclear power, instead only eoelectrecity and hydroelectrecity.
NO pollution regulations but no pollution either. Dwarves are actually fighting elves who try to enforce the burning of coal, more polluting than wood. They switch to completely green magma as a matter of fact, as soon as it becomes available.
Workers have full access to all the fortress facilities including recreative.
Free speech is an inalienable right, to the point an engraver can sculpt protest art in the chamber of a noble and be thanked for it.
No flag.
Immigrants are protected by the law like everyone else.
NO regulation on the elections (but in reality, you don't regulate an election with 300 voters top anyway)
Interrogations are at worst given with the threat of a stern look.

Looks pretty liberal to me
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 03:28:03 pm by Cathar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 04:08:47 pm »

In case anyone cares, I'd say today's Dwarf Fortress looks to me like a Communist society rather than an Arch-Conservative Nightmare.  That is because back in 2010, it was expected that there would be a working economy and dwarves would have to actually PAY for food, drink, and bedding.  But 10 years later and these things are still free to every dwarf.

Free food, free alcohol, free apartment.  Sounds a lot more like today's liberals than any conservative government ever.

Also, abortions are allowed.  You can send your pregnant women into combat.  I'm not sure of all the mechanics of that, but that can't be good for the unborn child.

Isn't it possible for non-dwarves to immigrate?  I know it's not as easy, but once they've gone through the process, that Goblin gets treated the same way as your Dwarves.
Quick workaround: You can have any adventurer, of whatever form they may take, retire in an existing fortress.  Haven't played enough of the current version to know exactly how well that works.

But hey, I could still be wrong, so don't let me stop you!

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 07:13:58 pm »

In case anyone cares, I'd say today's Dwarf Fortress looks to me like a Communist society rather than an Arch-Conservative Nightmare.  That is because back in 2010, it was expected that there would be a working economy and dwarves would have to actually PAY for food, drink, and bedding.  But 10 years later and these things are still free to every dwarf.

Free food, free alcohol, free apartment.  Sounds a lot more like today's liberals than any conservative government ever.

Also, abortions are allowed.  You can send your pregnant women into combat.  I'm not sure of all the mechanics of that, but that can't be good for the unborn child.

Isn't it possible for non-dwarves to immigrate?  I know it's not as easy, but once they've gone through the process, that Goblin gets treated the same way as your Dwarves.
Quick workaround: You can have any adventurer, of whatever form they may take, retire in an existing fortress.  Haven't played enough of the current version to know exactly how well that works.

But hey, I could still be wrong, so don't let me stop you!

The thing is Toady appears to be intending Dwarf Fortress to be more right-wing as being able to just take all plump helmets makes the game too easy in adventure mode.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Kakroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 07:41:45 pm »

free alcohol

Free booze is and always will be a bipartisan issue
Pages: 1 [2]