Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well.. this is kinda annoying...  (Read 81704 times)

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well.. this is kinda annoying...
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

I have just discovered the second cousin of all annoying bugs.

Of course, this comes with the caveat that it would not have occurred had I not been screwing around like a looney with the raw files.

Now, the particulars: as is often the case with me, I began screwing around in the raws, looking to spice the vanilla game up a little.  To this end a created a new species on a whim; a race of flying hawk men type critters.  Actually, I'd initially intended them to be harpies, but apparently an all female race cannot actually expand on the civ map for some reason.   ;)

Anyway, my general wont when it comes to DF is to build up a magnificent fortress, fill it to the brim with goodies, and then, through blatant mismanagement, run it into the ground so I can loot the hell out of it later in Adventure mode.  Wanting to do so with one of my flying types, I selected a location as one of the bird-man civilizations and off I went.  Only to discover, horror of horrors, that trying to do anything (at least above ground) leads to an endless string of "(Miner) cancels dig stone: dangerous terrain," etc., etc.

It took me a minute or two to figure out the problem; apparently having nothing beneath your feet counts as dangerous terrain whether you can fly or not, and any critter that can fly will fly just for the hell of it.  Hmmm... wonder if hostile flying units are so beset upon?  Ah well, not sure if I wanna do anything about it, though.

Being able to fly in adventure mode is just so handy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well.. this is kinda annoying...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

So even digging on "ground level" cancels?  That's funny.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

Yeah, I made a race of intelligent fliers as well, they work perfectly for adventure mode, but no matter what they're tasked with doing in fortress mode they spam dangerous terrain messages. I tol my carpenter/wood cutter to chop a tree right next to him down and he made about 15 error messages about it.

I never gave it a second thought though as i was under the impression it had something to do with the pathfinding for flying species (they use ground pathfinding even when in the air).

Still it is something that would be very useful when(if) fixed as we could overcome the problems of steep cliffs and hills in fortress mode with flyers.

One thing i have noticed though is that when i made a fortress on a city filled with flyers there were no issues as i watched them fly around the place and they helped greatly in defending the town when i walled it as they could just fly over the walls and annihilate the enemy forces.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:43:06 pm »

Sorry about the positively massive bump (I feel somewhat justified in that the thread didn't get very many views relative to most other threads in the bug report section), but I have confirmed that this bug exists and is very annoying. I've modded in demons as a playable race, and I get similarly game-breaking job cancellations. I know it doesn't really affect the vanilla DF, but it's still important for modders...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:35:07 pm »

Similarly will you get nonworking underwater civvies (I can't work here, it's too wet!) It's pretty well-known in the modding forum.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Senti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 01:05:27 pm »

I'm going to necro this ancient thread to mention that this bug still very much exists and is still causing a few of us some pain, as I would very much like to build forts centered around the concept of it's inhabitants being able to fly or swim. Despite having the [FLIER] or [SWIMS_INNATE] tokens, a creature will treat water or open air as dangerous terrain in fort mode. Someday I hope to be able to build a tower with the entrance on top.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 03:22:30 pm »

I'm going to necro this ancient thread to mention that this bug still very much exists and is still causing a few of us some pain, as I would very much like to build forts centered around the concept of it's inhabitants being able to fly or swim. Despite having the [FLIER] or [SWIMS_INNATE] tokens, a creature will treat water or open air as dangerous terrain in fort mode. Someday I hope to be able to build a tower with the entrance on top.
We have a bug tracker now. This entire subforum is obsolete. Please let it sleep.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/