Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110325 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - v0.15 Tech Demo Released
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:34 pm »

World Atlas territory colorization + city displays are up and functional. Additionally, the world drawing function has been made even more configurable; individual functions like river-drawing, terrain-drawing, city-drawing, territory-drawing, etc., etc. can now be turned on and off through individual arguments that are fed to the overarching DrawWorld() function. Eventually this will allow players to display only what they want on the world map (within reason) - meaning they'll be able to switch off different location names, features, territorial colors, and so forth. And they'll be able to do it all through very easy 'on/off' menu manipulation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturally, I ran into a plethora of bugs while setting all of this up, which is why I still haven't started on territorial disputes.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:46:42 am by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »

To-do Stuff:

1. Territorial Back-and-Forth

This is the current biggie. Nations need to start warring with each other during the early stages of worldgen. Once all corners of the (reachable) map have been covered by one civ or another, they need to continue warring, occasionally make peace, and so forth. The war/peace process should be relatively complicated. Many parts of it will tie into no. 2 on this list (more on that to come). Nations should be able to cede territory, towns, artifacts, places of religious relevance, or castles in order to barter their way into peace treaties. Peace treaties should be contractual with set time limits. Reneging on a peace treaty should cause trust with ALL other nations (and thus relations with all other nations) to deteriorate, and should be an action taken only by the most hostile civs. Successfully completing the terms of a peace treaty should cause relations on both sides to boost considerably, and thus the likelihood of war to between two nations to decrease. Allied nations should consider going to war for the sake of their allies, causing WWI-style chain wars. Records should be kept of all such going-ons, with a fairly detailed backstory being created in the process for the purposes of populating the World Atlas with information. Civs should set up trade agreements once the rudiments of economy are in place.

2. Worldgen Events

Next on the list. This should cover everything from historical battle events (heroes becoming distinguished in battle and making their way into the 'People' lists, numbers of deaths and results of the battles, any significant events that happened DURING the battles (a huge storm stopped both sides? intervention by a god(dess)?), etc. Adventurers should be able to find artifacts, uncover ancient shrines, and bring heretofore-unworshipped gods into the world (or back into it). Civilizations should change government types during revolution, or experience religious shifts, so on. Cults and/or paramilitary groups (i.e. Knights Templar-style orders) should arise and attempt to form new nations or gain power over existing ones. Natural disasters should occur and affect population and economy.

Lots more stuff to go in here, and all of it will take time to chew through, but these are some of the 'moving forward'-type goals. Since a lot of them are simply flavor, I should be able to pop many of them out in relatively quicks succession. OTOH, since others depend on their relevant systems being coded (i.e. the religious segments of code), they'll take a while longer to go up.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:33:31 pm by Lord Dullard »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2010, 12:32:41 pm »

Awesome. Can't wait until you've got a playable demo out! (Even if it's just of the world-gen and read histories sort)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:30 am »

Relations are all configured; civs are ready to start warring. I'll be working on that today.

I added another little function to the Atlas that allows you to display a miniaturized version of the world map displaying civ relationships for any given nation (displayed by the colors as seen in the first screenshot). Currently civs tend to generate in the slightly sub-neutral to friendly range, but this'll change quickly once the civilizations start to interact more openly during history generation. More hostile nations should start to develop feuds pretty early on. I have a suspicion that I'm going to have to take measures to prevent less-hostile civs from ganging up and completely obliterating warmongering civs. Likewise, warmongering civs might have a nasty tendency to form alliances with other militant countries.

For a comparison of the mini-map to existing political borders, see the following pic:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:28:33 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:08 am »

Road bump.

New computer is 64-bit architecture. Libtcod only supports win32 for Python, so far as I know.

Hrm...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:00:59 am by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »

Road bump cleared. After fiddling with a number of libraries and testing several different configurations, I discovered I can get everything up and running as long as I drop the ActivePython developer distribution I was using and stick with the basic Python 2.6 distribution. Apparently there was some kind of conflict between two separate tkinter libraries while using both which never cropped up on my other comp - probably something to do with the difference between 32 and 64-bit systems. I can run the 32-bit distribution just fine and dandy, though, so it's completely compatible with libtcod.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »

This looks really awesome.
I am very happy to see this thread progress.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2010, 05:28:24 pm »

This looks really awesome.
I am very happy to see this thread progress.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:27 am »

I've been a bit lazy about coding for the past couple of days. After getting my new computer set up, I couldn't resist the urge to start a Dwarf Fortress.

Getting 100+ FPS on maps with near-vertical cliffs and volcanic calderas? Awesome. It'll be even better once liquid cooling is here and I can overclo---

Eh-ehm. Anyway, back to being productive; I'll try to get more coding done today, and hopefully get civilizations clashing actively with each other. I've been trying to figure out exactly how I want to organize all of the dictionaries for historical events, because I'll want them to be sortable not only by related entities (whether civ, individual person, location, or whatever), but also by date, other related events, and so forth. They'll also need to fit neatly into the same format that all the OTHER types of events do.

Ideally, I'd eventually like the World Atlas to be 'browsable' in an almost wiki-like fashion, with different events, location, figures, and civilizations all referenced/cross-linked to each other in their separate entries. Browsing the Atlas should feel natural and seamless, and hopefully I can add enough randomization and depth to make the various entries seem unique and as un-clonelike as possible.

Eventually the actions of the player character in the world should also be referenced in the same manner.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:29:02 am by Lord Dullard »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2010, 05:24:07 pm »

I am loving this project!

Keep up the awesome work, Dullard!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2010, 03:06:31 pm »

It's back! Awesome! It looks great so far.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2010, 12:37:53 am »

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

newobj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »

Lord Dullard, how are you taking those epic mega large worldmap screenshots? I'm a libtcod user and wasn't sure if there was an easier way than just opening an epic mega large window. Too bad you can't seem to take screenshots of offscreen consoles. (?)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »

Lord Dullard, how are you taking those epic mega large worldmap screenshots? I'm a libtcod user and wasn't sure if there was an easier way than just opening an epic mega large window. Too bad you can't seem to take screenshots of offscreen consoles. (?)

They're not screenshots, they're exported images. Libtcod makes it possible to save any created image as a file, which you can then simply save. I have a designated folder for worldgen screenshots so that players will be able to see their worlds at-a-glance post-worlgen if they want to. To save space, the files just overwrite each other upon any new worldgen.

newobj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

Ah, I just realized that you can render any console into an image. That makes sense. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 68