Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105

Author Topic: [0.31.18] ☢ Wasteland ☢ : accepting help  (Read 155466 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
[0.31.18] ☢ Wasteland ☢ : accepting help
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:33:01 am »

☢ ☢ ☢

A new broken world lies before you. Battle restless beasts, mutants and raiders to establish a new community in the post-apocalyptic world.

☢ ☢ ☢

WASTELAND MOD WIKI

Current version: 1.2

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Civilizations

Additional Info

Vault Nobles: President, general, lieutenant, captain, militia commander, militia captain, security chief, guard captain,  outpost liaison, diplomat, prime minister, chancellor, elder statesman, tax collector, punisher, champion, administrator.

Expedition leader, Overseer - elected, meet diplomats, appoint other nobles
Manager - production management
Chief therapist - listen to sad workers, build morale, health management
Lead scientist - tame exotic critters
Broker - trading
Armory manager - equipment sorting/management
Librarian - count wealth/stocks

Mutant Species: mutant bully (common footpad), mutant freak (two heads), mutant abomination (4 arms, flexible), mutant brute (grows to enormous proportions with time)

Custom mapscripts:

Wasteland Critters

Farm Plants

Olive - edible raw/cooked
Light blue - edible cooked
Light yellow - edible raw
Light Purple - dye

Scavenging, metalworks and workshops

Adventure mode crafting

Note that graphics for DF creatures are not supplied! They all will be reworked so I don't want to clutter the archive with something which will be removed quite soon. You can still use any other tileset (like Phoebus/Mayday), just unpack it on top of a game with graphics.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:35:03 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland mod started (I need testers!)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:36:07 am »

Scavenging

The "gems" were replaced by "scavanged parts" which are used in construction of different workshops and a few items. A special building Inventor's Workshop allows you to manipulate the new "gems" in many ways.

A list of "gem" transformation:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:29:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: ☢ Wasteland ☢ - mod started (I need testers!)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:36 am »

Sounds fun.  It's cool that you aren't sticking to Fallout canon.  I think the adventure mode/arena mode differences have to do with how attributes are generated - adventurers are always super-tough and agile.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:29:12 am »

Doom and quake creatures in wastelands graphic set? LOL? =)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:09:59 pm »

Actually combat armor from Fallout looks quite close to doom armor.

And Wasteland (old game) has some characters which look similar too.

Also these are all Doom creatures. Where did you see a single Quake creature? I hoped my pixel art skills are better...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »

Here's the armor from Doom:

And Fallout Combat Armor:

Also Doom's closed helmet seems more appropriate for an irradiated wasteland (and the fact that in DF the helmet protects the WHOLE head, including the face).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:29:38 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »

Doom feels a bit too "magical" for Fallout. Fallout was very organic, while Doom had too many floating heads.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:02:58 pm »

But what about hell and randomly generated demons from the lower levels you cannot avoid? As I said, I thought it's a nice  "transition" from the surface to hell. If you do not like floating heads, do not dig too deep, or you will get them anyway (due to new HFS generating mechanics).

It will be all Fallout and Wasteland stuff on the surface and in the upper caverns.

OK, it looks like noone of the downloaders is going to comment on the firepower yet...
Well, let me show how it currently works:

Here's me, shooting fellow vault dwellers in my security armor with my rifle. Eat lead, bastards!
As you may notice, the graphic tiles are 32x32. This is because I am also making a 32x32 character set while I wait for the merge with OpenGL versions. With zoom and smoothing these tiles will look awesome. Right now they are reduced to 16x16 thus they are not that awesome.

And here's a result of me shooting a guy in a simple vault suit:

It's pretty fine for me. If he had a metal armor, he'd get a bruise and probably a torn muscle.
What do you think?

P.S. I already have vault dwellers, wastelanders and ghouls as civilizations. Work work work, Deon!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:30:12 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »

Er, Not to derail the thread, but.

Has anyone ever told you that you work to hard Deon?
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:12:32 pm »

Do you mean in Real Life? I have a pause between exams and a vacation from my work, and my wife went to her mom for a few days.

So I try to spend this time to make as much as possible while I have this time to share with the community, to share with you.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »

Ah, I see. Still. I'd think Genesis mod would keep you busy enough.

That said, I'm rather glad that you're spending you're time working for the community.

Right now i don't have much free time to play DF with, but I do look forward to playing Genesis mod when I do. (And potentially this one).

So Basically, I'm saying Thank you.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 03:21:19 pm »

This is actually all I want. A sincere thanks is what makes me want to mod again and again :).

Also Genesis mod has reached a point when it has the main features I wanted to include and something extra, and it doesn't have bugs. It means that I am slowing it down but of course not stopping its development. You know, with each new suggestion or cool idea it will still go into that, I just want to finally start this Fallout-styled mod, because I know that a lot of people wait for it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MUAHAA THE FRENCH

• Bay Watcher
  • you see my friend, we've both been boiled alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

you were asking for workshop / gameplay mechanic ideas in another thread yeah?

oh boy, do i have ideas

first off : soil layers are moddable in this version right? i would say that for certain embarks the first 10-15 z levels should be Junk. that's pretty deep, but imagine what a nuked futuristic city would look like. it's not pretty. within the junk you could have a relatively common gem called Destroyed Electronics in small to large patches.

workshop : Technician's Workstation

this requires a set of Basic Tools to construct. You get a single set of Basic Tools on embark. Technician's workstations can be built out of wood, junk, rock, whatever. the technician's workstation refines Destroyed Electronics into Electronics. (we'll assume the electronics are being properly sorted outside the player's eye.) Electronics need to be further refined for some purposes, but basic Electronics suffices for the construction of most objects. Mechanisms are also built out of Destroyed Electronics. If you run out of electronics you can refine some from junk but it should be common enough that you shouldn't need to. it could also maybe take Junk and refine it into Scrap Metal or something.

basic tools can be produced at a technician's workstation from junk only, or maybe metal if you're masochistic.

you can find fissile materials or nuclear materials either in the junk topside or deep down in the bedrock more rarely. these ores can be taken to a

workshop : fuel processor

which processes nuclear ores or fissile materials into power packs necessary for the construction of some items and workshops.

other workshop ideas :

Gunsmith - obvious, replaces the crossbow maker's.

Armories - make weapon modifications and can build advanced weapons like, say, a Gauss Rifle from two microelectronics, metal and a power pack.

Engineering Bay - produces : sets of calibrated tools necessary for construction of some workshops (could they make basic workshops work faster?), machine tools necessary for some workshops, mechanisms, gear assemblies/axles, and maybe they could make droids similar to a war animal if it is possible to generate that from a workshop?

Clean Room - necessary for the construction of Microelectronics necessary for the construction of some advanced buildings. etc.

Drug Lab - processes some plants (can you mod plants?) into extracts. not sure what the use would be.

i would keep the mason's workshop but there should be an emphasis on stone blocks rather than rough stone.

conceptual : Geothermal Turbines generate power from magma? i don't know if it is possible to mod the underground caves or power sources but you could have underground seas called Fuel Tanks which generate mechanical power through a Drill Rig built a z-level above it.

other ideas : explosive ores under the ground that explode into clouds of acid etc. that can be shielded by having your vault dwellers wear protective bodysuits. another gem underground called Unspent Ordnance that explodes when you mine into it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »

Awesome idea.

The problem is: you cannot MOD OUT existing workshops :(. I would love to make different ones, but for now metal rifles are at forges and other stuff exists too.

Moreover, Toady One took out the heat/burn/cold damage, so cryoguns and lazer rifles are no longer possible.

I will look which of your ideas can be refined.
It would be awesome to have constructable droids, but you can only make vermins now. So they can only come as pets from outiside :(.

"Junk" soil sounds cool, I'm definitely going to try that.

You cannot make workshops which generate power, which is sad :(.

Explosive ores and poisonous fossils will definitely be included, so you've hit ten here.

I think you cannot get any quality from the items from the reactions, so "weapon modifications" would actually hurt weapons... It would be cool to add ironsights and bayonets to guns though.

Also I cannot limit guns to specific workshops only, otherwise your civilization won't use it.
Oh wait, maybe I will, a single race without guns in adventure mode/on traders is fine if you can make a proper gunsmithing out of it...

So many good ideas, so many limitations :). It's OK, we were there, we will be there again.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MUAHAA THE FRENCH

• Bay Watcher
  • you see my friend, we've both been boiled alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

actually, i did not mean that fuel processors generate power. they generate a power pack which can be used in the construction of other buildings... hm.

maybe you could capture droids and have them reprogrammed. but there'd be no way to segregate training, say, a stray dog and a droid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105