Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena Editor  (Read 11938 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena Editor
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:27:36 am »

Urist Vespasian (UristV for short) is an experimental "editor" for the testing arena template. What this does is translate that into a bitmap image (and back) for easier editing. For example, here's what the original arena looks like as an image (at 3x magnification):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Download Urist Vespasian

And here's a map I made with a whole bunch of mini-arenas:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's included in the main download as "multi.txt", along with a couple of simpler samples:
  • A mostly open field divided by a canyon.
  • A chamber that slowly fills with magma until only a small central island is safe.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:40:31 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Urist Vespasian - Arena Editor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:59:57 am »

Not much of a modder or the kind to get into this stuff (yet!) but wanted to say this is a great idea and implementation. I got it working and have been messing around with using your canyon example. Cool stuff, good work. Makes me want an editor like this for FORTRESS MODE. (ie creating a starting fort template or something)
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:41:13 am »

Thanks.

As far as Fortress Mode, by coincidence, it looks like someone made something a little like that just the other day. But your dwarves still have to build it, it just does the designations. I haven't tried it myself though.
Akur Akir Akam!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:56 am »

Yeah I saw that after posting here actually. Might give it a try (or at least Quickfort, which I've (in)conveniently ignored since now).
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Editor (Plus One-Hundred And One Mini Arenas)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:46 am »

I Built a Useful Map (Pictured).
Akur Akir Akam!

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:49 am »

Just bumping to say this is the best thing I could ever get for DF. A thousand thanks to you.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:24 am »

Haha, thats funny: It looks quite similar to my arena editor and uses the same arena to bitmap transferation. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81620
The endproduct looks a bit different but an earlier version of mine showed up absolutly the same.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:37:05 am by Aerval »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:40 pm »

My gods...
I was thinking of re-constructing my arena, but doing it tile by tile would be a bit too tedious for me. Thank you for this wonderful tool!

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 01:42:18 pm »

I updated this tool to support the new arena tiles the game supports since this was released... six years ago. (Sand, Soil, Grass, Tree and Chasm)

For all I know there are better tools for the job now, but it's still here if you want it.
Akur Akir Akam!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »

I updated this tool to support the new arena tiles the game supports since this was released... six years ago. (Sand, Soil, Grass, Tree and Chasm)

For all I know there are better tools for the job now, but it's still here if you want it.
Wow... I found this long long ago and included it, together with a custom arena, in MasterworkDF. I think you were inactive at the time.

Thank for the update. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Editor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:23 pm »

This file used to be hosted on webspace provided by my ISP, which discontinued that service a while back. I've now moved it to DFFD, so it's available once again for anyone interested.
Akur Akir Akam!