Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 547177 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »

Hello!

First, download link:
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Seccond, example video of what it does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX3piF5ww8

SoundSense is tool that reads gamelog.txt and plays sounds according to it entries (so, when game appends, i.e., "It has started raining.", utility plays one of rain sounds.).

Player can fully customize what is and what is not played by digging into xml configuration and add his own sounds and triggering lines.

There is a wiki page with documentation:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:SoundSense

---------------------------

If you want latest version of soundpack, edit your configuration.xml and set autoUpdateURL to:

<autoUpdateURL path="http://www.armedassault.info/_hosted/soundsense/au"/>
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:07:12 am by zwei »

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:02:08 pm »

What about when you're invaded by goblins or something?

Or when one of your dwarves dies?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:17:52 pm »

Nifty!

You know what'd be awesome? Rainseeker doing all those announcements in his dwarfy voice.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:01 pm »

I have waited a long time for sound - great idea!

Please add goblin attack sounds, snatcher etc., and continue this project!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:50 pm »

This is a brilliant idea.

You could make a playlist function for background music, or multiple ones for varying situations like sieges or tanrum spirals.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:58:23 pm »

What about when you're invaded by goblins or something?

Or when one of your dwarves dies?

Yep, of course. Dark Chorus when "Vile Force of Darkness" arrives is something people mention every so often. Issue is finding music under CC or similar license which can be redistributed, but it can be done.

Say, what about this: http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?keywords=final+count&Search=Search for siege?

As far as dwarves death and others, yep, of course. Current ones are more of examples (i, for example, imagine "winter" sound to be more of howling of wind over snowy plains) and package is to be exanded in future.

Nifty!

You know what'd be awesome? Rainseeker doing all those announcements in his dwarfy voice.

Thinking of it, meta-game anouncements like  "** Starting New Outpost **" ("Strrike the earrth!") would be neat!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

You could make a playlist function for background music, or multiple ones for varying situations like sieges or tanrum spirals.

I was planning to have mood loops for each season since i am guaranteed to know that spring/summer/autumn/winter is hapening.

For other stuff like combat or tantrums, it is not as easy (how to know tantrum starts? ends?), but i am sure something can be done about it.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 02:34:37 pm »

ahah. Not sure if i would use sounds, but now that I'm thinking of some possibilities I might change my mind.
Also like the idea of music changes to suit the mood, but that would interfere with the ingame music (would have to be turned off)

We could also have some music for finding the CLOWNS (actually kinda dwarfy too) :P
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 03:23:43 pm »

If you can only read stuff from the gamelog then I suppose you could still try to use the frequency of certain messages (like tanrum/building destruction/etc messages for tantrum spiral music)

On the other hand, if you can let the utility read other things like the amouth of invaders on the map, or the amouth of raving mad dwarves, you could adapt the music a bit mroe accurately.

You could resolve the legalty issue by letting the user select the music to play for certain situations.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:09:31 pm »

Interesting, and potentially useful as well.  (at the least, on a dual monitor, it can function as a log reader! LOL)

Just a thought, using the log reader as a core, it could potentially be redesigned as a general framework log reader, which parses the log messages back into events, and allow other modules to add resource actions (like playsound, run an indepedent hack util to pause game, or run a special script that sends out analog system via the old serial port pins which will make your coffee-maker brew a new cup of code-fuel).

Then a settings profile is a map of certain events to certain actions, where a general interface (even edit text file will do) could be provided to allow user to easily add/modify hookups (a single event could invoke multiple actions, just as different events could invoke the same action)

It definitely has potential

following is an example of what I meant.... (via mock ups)

And event file describes the parsing of messages into events.  This is large static for common events(but can have user-customized events)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Event mappings maps events to actions, with potential advance conditions, or just a simply just a event vs action matrix of checkbox
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

actions e.g. "playsound" or "pausegame" are either supplied by the core app, or potentially via external "plugins" or even just via executing system commands directly to hack-utils that have command-line mode

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »

Btw, what impact does it have on performance, if any? I have an very old computer.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »

Audio alerts would be great for all sorts of things.
  • Sieges, as others have said.
  • Squads springing from ambush.
  • Thieves and snatchers being revealed.
  • New mandates.
  • Animals and dwarves reaching adulthood.
  • Strange moods.
  • Tantrums and insanity.
  • Dwarves dying.
  • Arrival of merchants or liaisons.
  • Breaking into caverns or HFS.
  • Arrival or promotion of nobility.
  • Martial trance or enraged creatures.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »

Nice!
I think I might find a use or two for this :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »

Yet another awesome 3rd party addon!

Some kind of plugin framework for DF would be really useful, so many apps open at once while playing! :)

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »

http://www.freesound.org/ might have some good stuffs.

Could you hook into a Text to Speech library?  If so that would be useful as well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 07:09:31 pm by Shadetree »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104