Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45

Author Topic: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire  (Read 326006 times)

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: 2212 z-level above-ground Adamantine Spire
« Reply #510 on: August 05, 2010, 06:37:00 pm »

Hey! Two wrongs make one wrong apparently. It lets you soil farm without mud. Combined with the shadow of the adamantine pillar, this could be sustainable sans mining, with some help from The Talking Experiment. Wall them together with a few beds and a farm plot...

Incidentally, if you define it as "The topmost value of nothing" then Maximum Zero must actually be Negative Infinity! Just, by the way. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:38:59 pm by Saposhiente »
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:28 pm »

Above ground farming is always available with no mud.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »

Its bugged on this version. That or my other fortressed is re-bugged.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
Fun

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 05, 2010, 06:43:21 pm »

Interesting... The space is marked "Inside dark subterranean" but it wants above-ground seeds.

Update: All the demons except four salt ghosts have disappeared. Said ghosts are just sitting on level -5, not moving.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:59:51 pm by Saposhiente »
Fun

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 05, 2010, 06:58:52 pm »

Interesting... The space is marked "Inside dark subterranean" but it wants above-ground seeds.

Okay, see, now that's interesting. Also, WTF!?

Incidentally, if you define it as "The topmost value of nothing" then Maximum Zero must actually be Negative Infinity! Just, by the way. :P

The mathematical maximum value for zero is actually .49999repeating. (As far as I'm aware. Math majors are free to flame me.) Numbers .5 and above round to 1. Basically, my name is rule of cool.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »

Are you farming below ground crops on the surface? I don't seem to understand the situation.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 05, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »

The mathematical maximum value for zero is actually .49999repeating. (As far as I'm aware. Math majors are free to flame me.) Numbers .5 and above round to 1. Basically, my name is rule of cool.
Thats Maximum (round(x)=0)
Being the maximum value of no set means that for every set of numbers, there is at least one number greater than it. So, actually, I was wrong. It's not Negative Infinity. Its -(1/0), because 1/0 is greater than every number, including infinity. :P :P :P
Fun

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »

Are you farming below ground crops on the surface? I don't seem to understand the situation.
The shadow of the adamantine pillar provides "Inside dark subterranean" spaces because there was (and is) ground above them on embark.
Fun

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 05, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

Another note: Hitting 'zoom to location' on the screams brings me to lv -41
Fun

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »

1/0 is greater than every number, including infinity. :P :P :P
Actually 1/0 is infinity, which is also not a number. :P

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 05, 2010, 07:47:16 pm »

The real question here is: What is infinity times zero?
Fun

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #521 on: August 05, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »

1/0 is undefined, unless you use some weird alternate mathematical model. But with a normal number line, it's undefined.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:53 pm »

"Can you tell me what's eight, times four, divided by zero?"
"lim epsilon approaching zero plus of eight times four divided by epsilon... 10:47AM on Sunday."

THERE IS NO RELEVANCE.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2010, 08:01:10 pm »

Re-summary post for Snow Leopard
Seed on .12 = No spire
Savegame on .12 = Previously observed behavior with dwarves refusing to pickup equipment. Other observations:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now starting Try 3: Dentio's save, on .12
1/0 is undefined, unless you use some weird alternate mathematical model. But with a normal number line, it's undefined.
That depends on your definition of infinity times zero. If it's zero, 1/0 is undefined (but greater than infinity). If it's any number (= 0/0) then x/0 = infinity for x > 0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:06:50 pm by Saposhiente »
Fun

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:09 am »

All these demons "ceasing to exist"...

In the new version, all creatures disappear from the units screen if they also disappear into unexplored areas on the map. It seems more likely to me that this is what is happening. And in a file so glitched, it could even have bits of the map recorded as being unexplored even if you can see the tiles.

And even more likely if they're all disappearing at exactly the same point.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45