Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 895313 times)

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: Super Happy Fun Beach (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2010, 10:07:46 am »

I Think Lur Should get a Dwarf's Body and come here to get some good ol' fashion !!Revenge!! on Andreus.

Lur is entirely Seth's department. We collaborate on the fiction but I let him write all the dialogue for Lur, because he can do it so much better than me.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »

Thank you.  I'm not yet sure where exactly, but I suspect Lur is getting very, very drunk in a tavern somewhere.  Probably Graspedseduce.

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2010, 06:58:08 pm »

Was only making a suggestion, but given how epic BattleFailed turned out to be i already forsee FailCannon being just as epic.  Also hope you don't mind a second body-swapper Andreus, but that always lead to epiciness. (though i wonder what happens if we both went for the same body?)
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:59 pm »

"Not even dreeams are safe from yooooooou.  I alooone remain the saaame, when there's nooo one else to blaaaaaaame.  Yet I haaad to ask, if ooonly so I'd aaalways know I haaad..."

A white-haired dwarf came over the hill with the corpse of a deer in one hand and a bloody rock in the other.  He sang, in a voice like the smoke of a wagon after the canvas goes up in flames, as he walked along the well-trodden dirt that passed for Main Street in the ancient and venerable City of Graspedseduce.

Capital of Dastot Cog, framed by ancient goblin towers of pure obsidian, it was said to be the only city in the world with a constant hangover.  Before rising to power, the elves and humans of the land had long since adopted the dwarven habit for drinking, which is to say it was preferred to water ten times out of ten and the children were born with a healthy appetite for it.

Dwarves seldom built taverns, since most dwarven fortresses are, in essence, great dusty taverns with overstocked pantries and excellent ale but nary a serving wench.  Long ago, when Dastot Cot defeated the roving goblins and conquered Graspedseduce, the newly-freed humans needed a place to drink and address other bodily needs.  Hence, the Inn of Seduction was built and disdained by most dwarves, who viewed the place as a grown man might view a child-sized gingerbread house.

Still, by local standards it was an upstanding establishment, with only a slight layer of grime on the cups and bedbugs that were relatively polite.  One could find it filled with patrons at any hour of the day, and the old clock tower tolled the noon-o'-clock chime when a strange dwarf stepped into the tavern and gradually attracted the stares of everyone within.  His beard was impeccably groomed, naked though he was aside from a few exceptionally hirsute patches of skin.  Tracking mud with his bare feet, still carrying the expired buck, the stranger approached the bartender, who was presently squeezing a zit on his upper chin and wiping the goo on his trousers.

With a great heave, the stranger plopped the deer's carcass across the counter, the immediate effect being a bloody mess spilling onto the floor from the animal's mouth.  A nearby elf looked scandalized.  The stranger looked at the bartender with eyes dark as pitch. "Beer," the dwarf said hoarsely.

The barkeep looked at the fresh kill, figured it was worth at least a few silver in meat, and filled a flagon from the tap.  He filled a mug and passed it to the naked dwarf, grabbed the deer by the antlers, and dragged it outside to the adjacent butchery.  The dwarf dropped the bloodied stone on the ground and drank desperately from his cup, then threw it away in favor of drinking from the flagon directly.

It was only a matter of time before someone would strike conversation with such a novel fellow, and before long one of the Inn's more flamboyantly dressed customers approached the dwarf, who had already drained his pitcher and was reaching over the bar in order to fill it.

"Excuse me, sir," said the man, rather certain about that last bit.  "My name is Estun, and I—"

"How do you work this?" the dwarf asked, fiddling with the keg tap.  "Ah, there it goes."

"—Right," said Estun.  Estun was a newly popular sort of doctor that specialized in the analysis and containment of psychotic dwarves.  He was a Psycho Analyst. 

"Anyway," Estun continued, "I—"

"Lur," the dwarf interrupted.

"—Pardon?" said Estun with a quizzical look.  The dwarf finished another gulp and wiped his mouth with his arm.

"My name is Lur," the dwarf said gruffly while he leaned forward to fill another pitcher.  "What do you want?  I'm in no mood for parlance."

"Ah."  Estun was still smiling.  This type of rude behavior was common in his profession and he'd learned to react to it with practiced patience.  "Well, Lur, I was wondering where you came from."

"A time before time, a space before space," said the dwarf, after guzzling his fourth draught.  "I get three more, yeah?!" he shouted to the barkeep, who nodded back at him nervously.

"I see," said Estun, who was nodding for a different reason.  "I was wondering, Lur, have you ever heard of Battlefailed?"

Lur started laughing into his drink.  With a soggy beard, he turned to Estun and smiled, and said, "I've heard of it."

"Have you come from Battlefailed, Lur?"

Lur poured the last of the booze into his mouth and said, "No, Estun.  I did not come from Battlefailed, Estun.  In fact, you can stop talking to me anytime you see fit, Estun, because I'm not mad, and I didn't lose my clothing on purpose, and you are profoundly annoying."

Estun kept smiling.  Lur the Dwarf stood up, leaving an aromatic smear of blood and sweat on the seat, and strode toward the door.  "I'll be back with more food!" he announced to the tavern as he went, trying to remember where Graspedseduce kept its fashion district.

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2010, 03:00:45 am »

Awesome writing Seth :D

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2010, 03:59:08 am »

Same old, same old. Found another cavern layer.

Possessed blacksmith!

He is using a single bar of rose gold... better than have him going mad, I suppose.

Now I'm puzzled. Is some supernatural entity saying that we will need crutches in the near future? And over 50k dwarfbucks? Whoa.
A skorse killed a gem setter, but our soldiers quickly took care of him.

MAGMA! The warm blood of Armok! But it's 80-100 z-levels down, so...
I've provided the exploratory shaft with a safety bridge. The lever controlling it is properly noted and connected.

Since we now have a Mayor, I've arrranged for quarters to be built for him.

Human traders! And Mekboy is off drinking... When he satiated his thirst, we traded for food, booze, metal bars and all kinds of raw glass. Glass and metal are to be kept as a safeguard for moods requiring them.
And summer has ended too.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2010, 05:17:32 am »

Why would there be any reason whatsoever to use an image hosting service that WATERMARKS THE IMAGES? Are there not enough better ones? Or better yet, why don't you just do the most sensible thing and get a free webhosting?

But to do something other than nagging, I quite enjoy Seth's writing (as does everyone). It's also nice that we've found magma, always a good thing :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:27:27 am by Oglokoog »
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:16 am »

Lupus, have I been redorfed yet, and if so, as what? XD

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

Lupus, have I been redorfed yet, and if so, as what? XD
Andreus VI, constant running gag, former soapmaker.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »

Is it a recurring theme that Andreus always respawns in the worst conceivable body every time he comes back to life. Hell, his first reincarnation was a Fish Dissector with two broken legs. I'd be surprised if he didn't get dorfed as a soapmaker at least once. I swear that if you dorf Andreus as a quadruple amputee cheesemaker he'll live forever.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:38 pm »

Duly noted. Weren't you the one who got him to dwarf himself as the crippled fish dissector?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:23 am »

Have just finished reading battlefailed, and now Failcannon.

What is the rock layers present in Failcannon? ignious etc.
It would be nice to have a side view like the one that was made for battlefailed.

Lupusater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:23 am »

Since the mayor's quarters will also be my own, I've arranged them with a special care.

Oh shit... Luckily the cavern layers are sealed off.

The second one in two seasons? I hope this one doesn't churn out something like a crystal glass splint...
He claimed a Mason's workshop and he is using two boulders of tetrahedrite and a cut rose quartz.

Niiice... The titan depicted here appears to be a local celebrity, since a good portion of the engravings here have him as a subject.
Since we are running out of stone, as strange as that may sound, the first part of the shaft will be expanded and become a full-fledged quarry, which doubled as a nice training for our miners.
The caravan from the mountainhomes has arrived! And Mekboy is out drinking and partying!
Why I'm not surprised? When he bothered to do his damn work, we traded for food and booze. Since we are quite well-off, I requested only wood and booze.
The mayor mandated that we make crossbows, and since this is a relatively sane request, and
we have a relatively skilled bowyer, I granted it. He is at risk though, he likes slade. He now stopped the export of crossbows.

I've created another workshop area, to be used for jewelers or whatever needs the space.

Another strange mood, the third this year! He seemed to want a craftsdwarf's workshop, so I built one and he promptly claimed it. He is using mica, cut claro opals, and rough cat's eyes.

Spring has come, and I've decided to retire from this extenuating role of Boss. It has been a good year, and I wish good luck to my successor.
Save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3110
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:08:12 am by Lupusater »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:40 am »

Updated OP(s).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2010, 11:46:03 am »

We have a forgotten beast made out of glass.
Great. It can probably be destroyed by throwing a rock at it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 189