Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7088 7089 [7090] 7091 7092 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172924 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106335 on: July 21, 2016, 04:10:12 pm »

Except in that metaphor, the custom park benches are like more secure doors.
Of course the police should still stop the chainsaw-dudes, just like our actual services should help the homeless.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #106336 on: July 21, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »

I did NOT realise orange and lemon trees had spines.

Backfired when one of the bastards jabbed me in the finger.
There are trees that make oranges and lemons? To the tree thread! (IIRC, wasn't there that one guy who essentially wove multiple saplings together to create one Treeking that was of multiple species in one?)

we have a tree thread?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #106337 on: July 21, 2016, 04:19:39 pm »

Firefox isn't letting me close tabs. I've got no idea why and it's bugging me. Anyway, I would have thought that the best way to reduce homelessness would be to make it easier for homeless people to not be homeless. Not, not letting them sleep on benches. But I don't actually know much about this stuff so there's a decent chance I'm wrong.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106338 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »

So, how does that help the homeless people not be homeless anymore, exactly?
I think the idea is to make them less troublesome to the rest of the population...
Then again, I haven't been able to read the actual link. I'm on my phone. Will probably look later, with my laptop.

My WTF: The dreams I just had, after even more sleeping. They made the ones I had during yesterday's napping marathon look tame by comparison. Angry barbarian polymorphed into blue duck turns into foul-mouthed, drunk-driving donald duck type, crashes car into building and somehow turns back into human before teaming up with cute barbarian gal to do battle with He-man and some wizards in a fight scene that made the laws of physics cry tears of blood.

Then at some point I believe he lost his legs and built a gigantic robot suit, possibly out of corpses.
And later on there was some bizarre, old-timey slapstick comedy where a bunch of bumbling explorers managed to repeatedly fend off giant bees, deflect musket balls and otherwise escape death, mostly by throwing stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #106339 on: July 21, 2016, 04:24:54 pm »

that sounds awesome. why can I have dreams like that?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106340 on: July 21, 2016, 04:44:05 pm »

I did NOT realise orange and lemon trees had spines.

Backfired when one of the bastards jabbed me in the finger.
There are trees that make oranges and lemons? To the tree thread! (IIRC, wasn't there that one guy who essentially wove multiple saplings together to create one Treeking that was of multiple species in one?)

we have a tree thread?

Yes.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149814.msg6136224#msg6136224
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106341 on: July 21, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »

But then again its well established how detrimental a homeless population hanging around areas can be.  For business, for property values, for crime rates, for sanitation, for blight, for et al
1. Caused by public perception. 2. Caused by public perception. 3. ??? (I must research this, although some homeless people may work as spotters). 4. If the homeless cannot use a public restroom. 5. Public perception, vandalism by the homeless and hooligans, etc..
I take it you've never worked or lived in a city with a lot of homeless people. Especially one where a good number of them are homeless because they're minor offenders that the jails didn't have room to hold or mentally ill people who aren't getting treatment and/or skipped off their medication. You've never had some disturbed guy hang around all day every day stalking children, never had someone scream and spit at you because you wouldn't let them turn your workplace into an apartment, never had your wallet snatched when you were dumb enough to help out a panhandler, never given someone money for a sandwich or bus fare and watched them go off into a liquor store (or worse).

Sympathy is good. But it's a problem that needs to be addressed on a societal level, on the level of providing accessible and decent mental health care, work programs to help people get back on their feet, services for the disabled, a VA that doesn't systematically hide and marginalize crippled veterans, shit like that. Saying, "Oh, it's so cruel to not let people sleep on city benches..." is completely missing the point. Perpetuating homelessness is not helping. If you really cared that much, you'd be volunteering or helping to fund a shelter instead of whining about cities doing stuff like that as if you had the moral high ground.

It's also damned hard to have sympathy for some of these people when you talk to them about services for the homeless and they complain about shit like having to check in at a shelter by 4pm or so if they want dinner and a bed there that night.

Maybe it's different abroad. I don't remember this sort of thing happening in NZ, Oz, or Scotland--not that I didn't see homeless folks, but that half of them didn't seem to be trying to con you into giving them money for drugs or alcohol, or two bad minutes away from trying to stab you for change. :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106342 on: July 21, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »

vagrancy as a crime is an old law/practice. 
So is persecuting ethnic minorities, homosexuals, and forcing people to practice your One True Faith© (or else)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106343 on: July 21, 2016, 05:09:13 pm »

vagrancy as a crime is an old law/practice. 
So is persecuting ethnic minorities, homosexuals, and forcing people to practice your One True Faith© (or else)

Well homosexuals are only homosexual because we let them. (wow even as a satire it hurt to say that)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106344 on: July 21, 2016, 05:12:53 pm »

Im not trying to justify its continuation.  Im pointing out that its not suddenly happening or suddenly getting worse.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #106345 on: July 21, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

what if someone who has a home wants to take a nap in the park D:
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106346 on: July 21, 2016, 06:53:18 pm »

If I'm that drunk I'd generally be okay with sleeping on the ground/floor/whatever. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106347 on: July 21, 2016, 07:05:34 pm »

That's the other secret, all those benches just make it awkward and uncomfortable, not impossible.

--

But yeah, this conversation is emblematic of our age. What we have: complex social issues with multiple sources and contributing factors. What we get: piecemeal band-aid treatment of some of the symptoms. What people paint it as: a bipolar right/wrong single-point issue which can be fixed by lazily addressing the most obvious symptom.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106348 on: July 21, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »

People have always done that though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106349 on: July 21, 2016, 07:51:57 pm »

its money, time, and community specific planning.

and that most feasible solutions ultimately involve physical segregation
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 7088 7089 [7090] 7091 7092 ... 10983