Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purplesaber: Exposed Anthill Fort: Minor Megaproject attempt  (Read 4744 times)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Purplesaber: Exposed Anthill Fort: Minor Megaproject attempt
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:39:28 pm »

I am embarking on a new megaproject. To make a fort much like the anthill in this video, post-excavation(around the 5:30 mark and beyond for an idea). That means that the majority of the fort will be like a pit mine, but with a central tower area, and many branching tunnels. The outside will be something of a hemisphere, with bridges connecting the top layer of the fort to the top layer of the edge of the hemisphere. The branching tunnels will end up connecting the underground inside with the pit edge and beyond, with any attached rooms hangng off the side. The intended size is roughly 80x80x80, though it may end up larger. One pending design decision is whether to have the bottom of the bowl connected to the fort, or leave it open, making the main body of the fort something of a suspended 70ish z-level tall spire, which wouldn't be as faithful, but would be a lot cooler to look at.

Oh yeah, and it's in a haunted/terrifying embark. Thought I'd keep it interesting. It is supposed to be a defensive fort, after all. A special note should go to the bridge idea. Essentially, there will be four bridge spans, one for each direction. All retracting. The spans will be connected to bits of land I will keep excavated and attached, and they will be all set to close or open at once, though later they may be direction-specific. The intention is to lure every enemy onto the bridges, then drop them to their deaths 80 z-levels below.

My opening excavations are on DFMA.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:28:49 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

oso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Purplessaber: Exposed Anthill Fort: Minor Megaproject attempt
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:27:12 am »

Ants are very dwarfy.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Purplesaber: Exposed Anthill Fort: Minor Megaproject attempt
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:06 pm »

Okay, I've managed to get the necessary industry going. At this point I am focusing on expanding the tunnels and just generally widening the area I'm in. I've also started channeling out the second outside z-level. It is intended to go around any existing indoor areas, so that they are simply hanging in midair. It should be a lot clearer what I am trying to do overall now.

Images are on DFMA.

Update: I've expanded the pit a fair bit. Otherwise not much has changed. New map on DFMA.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:03:00 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.