Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: "PC Gaming Is Dead"  (Read 15536 times)

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "PC Gaming Is Dead"
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:36:10 pm »

I've heard people say this for awhile now, and it's pretty annoying. PC gaming may not be as nearly as popular as console gaming, but that does not mean PC gaming is dead by any means. If there was no market for PC games, genres like RTS or strategy would all sort of die (I mean, come on, there are next to no good strategy or rts on consoles), and that would really turn me off to most of gaming. Without PC how would I play Shogun 2: Total war that is coming out in March? Also, the console MMORPG has seemed to be rather unsuccessful... Overall, I don't see an end to PC gaming anytime soon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »

God I am looking forwards to the World of Darkness MMO.  As far as I'm concerned, being nine feet tall with claws, shredding Pentex goons and not doing afraid of anything can't come soon enough.

Have they confirmed we'll be able to wolf out?
They said it was a WoD MMO, not a Vampire MMO.  It might not be there at first release--in fact I think I heard the contrary--but surely it will be in before long.

Man, I'd love to play a mage or a werewolf. I hope they will include the fae and the ghost-things-I-forgot-the-name.

Ghost things?

Tough to say what you mean as there are Ghosts. Then there are those Golem creatures (whos name escapes me)

I am not looking very forward to the WoD MMO... I don't expect Mages to be done well.
I think he means wraiths.  And the golems are...uh...dammit, I forget the name too.  Prometheans?  Or was that the NWoD names?

Honestly I do not expect Mages to do well either.  They need a TON of lateral thinking and creativity.  The only way mages could be handled "correctly" in a WoD MMO is if you play as technocracy, or something else with a crapload of rotes and not much else.

Similarly, some Changeling stuff would work and some of it wouldn't.  If you want to be a party of Trolls and Sidhe nobles and Redcaps and stuff going off to valiantly fight foes with your foam larp swords heroic enchanted Arthurian blades, using Holly Strike and Heather Balm, then sweet, go for it.  If you want to play a boggan or a Nocker or a Sluagh and sit around at home being curmudgeony or depressed, that might be less interesting.  If you want to draw a door on the wall of your grade school, sneak in and have your pet dragon help you repaint all the walls in bright colors, yeah that's just not going to happen. And I'm sure the Satyrs won't need any combat systems at all to have fun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 06:41:40 pm »

PC gaming is nowhere near dead.  And even if larger publishers have moved away from it onto consoles; which is understandably safer for them to do sense all the hardware is exactly teh same across the platform; its just opened up the PC market for smaller companies that feel no desire to hold back or to relive the 'Glory Days' of an awesome game the company has put out before. They have no history, and no limitations, and they make up for it by doing things but strange and totally awesome. 

I'm a PC gamer to the core, and have been ever sense I first played Duke Nukem on my dad's old PC that ran Windows 3.1 Mwhahaha. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »

It could be done correctly if the spells were highly customizable. Both in appearance and what you need to use them. In order to at least fit the setting. But now that I've seen who's making it...

<insert comment about CCP & ultra fucking boring gameplay here>

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »

Epic list is epic.

But the prospect of having to play Cargo is going to give me nightmares if it ends up anything like Void or Pathologic.

I'd say subversion has the highest hopes to be epic for me, and Alice II looks to be epic, but also one of the great many "cinematic" games. :-\

Also, DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS HAPPENEING?

AS for the minute 2012 list, looking forward to Bioshock Infinity.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 06:45:59 pm »

Hm... I'm still holding out for a game with a really detailed magic system. But alot of these look really interesting, especially the 'Dead State' one. Here's to hoping it's not another 'Fort Zombie'. D:

Oh, and by the way Soulwynd...
vvv

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »

I just wish that game developers finally pick up on realism again. Sure, it's not necessary, and it's a lot easier to just invent esoteric rules, but realistic game rules are just so...desirable!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 06:50:58 pm »

I thought this was pretty interesting and relevant to this topic:

"As long as the current console generation exists and as long as we keep pushing the PC as well, the more difficult it will be to really get the benefit of both", Crytek boss Cervat Yerli tells Edge magazine.

"[The] PC is easily a generation ahead right now. With 360 and PS3, we believe the quality of the games beyond Crysis 2 and other CryEngine developments will be pretty much limited to what their creative expressions is, what the content is. You won't be able to squeeze more juice from these rocks."

If any platform is dead right now, it's the Console.  Unfortunately the PC is cursed with the burden of dragging its corpse along until it innovates.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »

realism
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
Oh come on. You know exactly that game developers aren't creative enough to come up with interesting replacements to reality. It's elves here, green-skinned tit aliens there, a few fireball-slinging mages there and FUCK NO MORE OF THAT......I just want something I can understand without suspension of disbelief, or something I can actually be investigative and curious about, rather than to have to say "it just works without reason or science".
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:19 pm »

Realism is a pretty darn small subgenre in every major genre, because abstractions are just so useful.  There's always something to complain about.  RTS games can never be realistic (wait, so my barracks has like...a cloning chamber inside it or something?).  Truly realistic FPSes are an incredibly small, if awesome, niche (Oh boy, we're engaging our targets from 200 meters away, and dying from a lucky hit!).  Puzzle games don't exist, unless you count Mystlikes as having things to be curious about.  You can forget about space sims, full stop--TIE Fighter was super sweet with its damage model, and it followed the canonical universe pretty well, but if you want realism it's hard to ignore that constant thrust = constant velocity.  Shmups?  No go.  Platformers?  I guess there's always "Out of This World".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 07:11:00 pm »

constant thrust = constant velocity.

I think you mean constant thrust = constant acceleration in space. =p Which is one of those things I've always found lacking with space sims. There are just so many things you can do in zero gravity environments that you couldn't do in gravity ones. Like, say, accelerate in a given direction, accelerate in another and spin around your target like he's an utter bitch. I think you'd need a seriously weird control system in order to do it, though (you'd need buttons for up/down, left/right and forward / back and they'd have to be easily reachable).
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »

As far as Grand Strategy goes, EUIII got comparatively close, but blundered in many ways, and is a very limited experience overall. MoO3 also tried to take a somewhat proper approach to macro-management, but that's about all the good to be said about it.
ArmA is a good one for FPS, but the game is purely about bland old american soldiers fighting small skirmishes against the minor evil du jour. As far as I'm concerned, FPSs have to get away from that schtick and take their gameplay realism into more creative, fictive worlds.
Star Ruler went to newtonian physics, but the game is so ridiculously bland and devoid of features you might just as well be throwing rocks around.
Jagged Alliance in TBS is pretty neat, aside from being a TBS. Given that you prop it up with a healthy dose of the 2.1.13 mod, that is.

Obviously, there's DF in the RTS and RPG corners, never mind the obvious fantasy aspects. At least it gets its realism down rightways, except for, for example,...no poo? WTF!

But really now, I do wonder...realism, with only very few abstractions where absolutely necessary, brings enormous intrinsic advantages in immersion and balancing. You just take it, make your game to work by realistic rules, and put it into an interesting scenario...how hard can it be, gaming industries, HOW HARD CAN IT BE!?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:16 pm »

Obviously, there's DF in the RTS and RPG corners, never mind the obvious fantasy aspects. At least it gets its realism down rightways, except for, for example,...no poo? WTF!

No.  No no no no no.
Shoes...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:10 pm »

Spiderweb Software has finally pushed some updates after 15 years?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19