Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ways to make ceramics lethal...  (Read 8703 times)

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ways to make ceramics lethal...
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:57:58 pm »

I've been reading on the chatter for the recent update, and it seems like everything is being tested and modded for lethality potential. Killer bees, egg-grenades, grass fuses, angry animals, nest pathing.

I ask you how do we make ceramics lethal.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to make ceramics lethal...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

Easy. Cave-ins. You drop a brick wall on the enemy. Literally.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »

Brick walls deconstruct instead of caving in.  But good idea.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:24:22 pm »

I haven't played the new version yet, but I know that RL ceramics tend to be very heat resistant, so that might be pretty hard.

And there's the issue of the dwarf putting the superhot liquid in there being reduced to a charred black, yet somehow still bearded skeleton in the process.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Brick walls deconstruct instead of caving in.  But good idea.

Constructed walls still kill things beneath them.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cave_in

The deconstruction is really a bonus because it's easier to rebuild the trap then.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:46:22 pm »

Create some sort of reaction that requires clay, and creates a clay blade or something of the sort. Or fill it with a liquid hot enough for the ceramic to boil at, causing a very hot "poof".

The brand new Yoshi Axe* - Guarnateed to stay sharp, even while cutting through clowns!

*I was going to link to the "Yoshi Blade" web page, but it has an infomercial on it, so I didn't really want to put an ad in the forum.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »

I vote ceramic blades.  Nothing says pwn like cutting someone with a linoleum knife.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

Take a page from history and give another piece of ammo to catapults. Take one clay pot, fill with oil, top with one piece cloth. Load in catapult. Launch at enemy horde. Watch explosion from burning oil. Profit!
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »

Yeah, ceramic blades and armor would be really nice, especially since iron is less common now.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »

Ceramic blades and armor eh?
New kobold cutebold euipment!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:43 pm »

Hmm, I wonder how one would make exploding pots...  It should be theoretically possible.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 10:01:18 pm »

Hmm, I wonder how one would make exploding pots...  It should be theoretically possible.

Wait.. can pots be modded to contain magma?

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »

Take a page from history and give another piece of ammo to catapults. Take one clay pot, fill with oil, top with one piece cloth. Load in catapult. Launch at enemy horde. Watch explosion from burning oil. Profit!

This idea officially wins this thread.  I wonder how many people will start 20x20 feilds of rock nuts to support this if it ever becomes possible.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:13 pm »

In theory yes, if their heat damage point is high enough.  Magma perhaps not, but certainly a high-temperature fluid that would hit the ground and act like a contaminant (similar to a blood smear).  The only question is if the jar explodes on impact.  Or rather, what happens to the content of an ammo piece.  When fired, if the ammo disappears on impact, then no, sadly, but if it's destroyed and any contents spill out, then molotov away!

Also, why rock nuts?

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Rock nuts can now be pressed to give oil. 

Edit:
Perhaps modding a fixed temprature for ceramics, below what dwarves can safely handle  but above where the oil/booze ignites?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:12:06 pm by malroth »
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6