Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: These rabbits are made of air  (Read 14073 times)

thryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
These rabbits are made of air
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:50:40 am »

Air and skulls, anyway. Butchering them only results in piles of bunny skulls and no fat, skin, meat, nervous tissue, etc. Anyone else have this problem? I thought I was being super clever by embarking with rabbits, since they do in fact breed like rabbits, but I only need so many bunny totems cluttering up the place...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: These rabbits are made of air
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:00:33 am »

It's probably the same as with small cats and kittens; they're too small according to the game to produce usable material besides a skull. Invest in goats since they provide meat as well as milk.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:33 am »

Yes, it's the result of them being so small.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:03 am »

It's probably the same as with small cats and kittens; they're too small according to the game to produce usable material besides a skull. Invest in goats since they provide meat as well as milk.

True, and yet the traders somehow bring us prepared fly brains....  I think we're better off not knowing how.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:51 am »

Since .19 came out, I've tried butchering birds and cavies several times and received nothing but a skull. Are full-grown turkey and chicken hens supposed to be so small they yield no edible products? I thought this was a common bug.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:06 am »

It should be a bug, especially in the light of chickens being able to pop out a dozen or more perfectly edible eggs at a time. Bunnies, chickens, cavies etc. should definitely give at least one unit of meat and some innards.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:13 am »

Since .19 came out, I've tried butchering birds and cavies several times and received nothing but a skull. Are full-grown turkey and chicken hens supposed to be so small they yield no edible products? I thought this was a common bug.

I've got lots of turkey leather and meat and bones and such.

Huge pile of duck corpses though. Can't seem to butcher them.

These have all been wild ones that were shot by hunters though, if that's a difference?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:22:04 am »

My hens make meat and intestines, that's about it. Well, bones and skulls too, and the number of them means... well...  ;)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:00:19 am »

These have all been wild ones that were shot by hunters though, if that's a difference?

I've had problems with Slain animals not being butcherred, but it seems to happen at random when they're not pets (it probably has a very formulaic cause, though).  I think that problem used to be a lot worse.  Could it maybe be caused by the corpses being forbidden?  Do you have all the "claim other dead" and "collect refuse from outside" options toggled to on?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:06:08 am »

a bunny isn't full-grown until he reaches age 2 (body size starts at 50, grows to 250 at age 1 when they stop being childs, then grows to 500 again at age 2). maybe you'll get one meat once they're 2 years old? haven't tried this though, just something I noticed for my own meat-industry: many animals continue growing after they're adults

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:21 am »

I've had problems with Slain animals not being butcherred, but it seems to happen at random when they're not pets (it probably has a very formulaic cause, though).  I think that problem used to be a lot worse.  Could it maybe be caused by the corpses being forbidden?  Do you have all the "claim other dead" and "collect refuse from outside" options toggled to on?

The hunters will take the duck corpses to the butcher shops. The farmers then cancel the job, with the "need butcherable corpse" message thing, and take the duck corpse to the refuse tip.

Corpses aren't forbidden or anything that I can see that is different.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:13:37 am »

a bunny isn't full-grown until he reaches age 2 (body size starts at 50, grows to 250 at age 1 when they stop being childs, then grows to 500 again at age 2). maybe you'll get one meat once they're 2 years old? haven't tried this though, just something I noticed for my own meat-industry: many animals continue growing after they're adults
I'm fairly confidant they don't continue to grow, however if in it's description it says any about being muscular that animal will produce more meat(weak means less).
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:15:34 am »

I'm fairly confidant they don't continue to grow, however if in it's description it says any about being muscular that animal will produce more meat(weak means less).

Dwarves get fatter after they hit adulthood. I got the impression that this wasn't just due to skill increases. Perhaps now that animals eat, they too can get fat/emaciated?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:17 am »

Tame animals can always be slaughtered at a butcher's shop, so long as they're not vermin-size.  Very small tame animals may not yield anything more than a skull, because they aren't large enough to yield even a single unit of meat or bones.  Tame animals that die from any means other than being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.

Wild animal corpses can be butchered regardless of how they died, but if the animal is too small to yield even a single unit of meat or bone, the butcher will refuse to touch it.  This happens more often with mutilated corpses or body parts, because they are smaller than a single corpse, but the refusal to butcher is based on the size, not the fact that the corpse is mutilated or how it died.  This is why you get dead duck and rabbit corpses littering your refuse piles that your butcher will refuse to touch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:18 am »

Wild animal corpses can be butchered regardless of how they died, but if the animal is too small to yield even a single unit of meat or bone, the butcher will refuse to touch it. This is why you get dead duck and rabbit corpses littering your refuse piles that your butcher will refuse to touch.

Any idea what the minimum size is? iirc, ducks are pretty small. only size 1000 or so. Cats seem to be size 2000 minimum, though kittens are 500.

Also, will the duck corpses at least rot?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:26:40 am by Kat »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4