Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!  (Read 67961 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/6, 1/3], POSTGAME: Mafia Won!
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:40:18 am »

Welcome to Beginner's Mafia XXII!
(Thanks to Argembarger for the OP template!)

This version of the game is aimed specifically at players who are new to the game, are still relatively inexperienced. Here, it's more about having fun and learning than anything else, so don't give up hope if you find yourself in a bad position!
This Beginners' Mafia will feature playing ICs. This means that two more experienced people will join in the game to help you guys out and will actually be playing in the game. They can also be scum too, so always stay suspicious!
The ICs will never lie to you about the game mechanics though, and will usually have a special IC voice to use when they want to teach you guys, since their goal will be to get you guys ready for a real Mafia game. Just because they're playing doesn't mean you can't learn!

In Mafia, you are divided into two parts: 7 Town players and 2 Mafia players:

If you are Town, your goal is to lynch the Mafia. You do this by convincing others that one of the group is scum, and getting enough votes on them to lynch them.  The Town does not know who else is Town.

If you are Mafia, your goal is to kill off the Town until there is an equal number of them to you by getting them to lynch other Town or by killing them. You are given a kill each Night to kill any player in the game.  All the Mafia members know each other, and can communicate privately.

Each Day, everyone votes to lynch a player.  Vote for a player by posting their name in red.  You may change your vote at any time, remove your vote, or vote for No Lynch. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the day gets lynched, even if there is no majority. (Example: Nobody votes except for one guy, who votes Generic_Steve. Generic_Steve would get lynched). If you have a great deal of suspicion for someone, but don't want to vote for them just yet, point their name out in blue.

The Day will not end prematurely unless people vote to shorten the day. That is, there is no "hammer" in Beginner's Mafia, where X amount of votes (more than 50%) on a single person immediately ends the day with a lynch on that person. Some games do that, but not this one, and you would be explicitly informed in the rules if the hammer is active.

If there are tied votes for who gets lynched at the end of the day, the day ends in a no-lynch. (Two people vote for Generic_Steve, two people vote for Unassuming_Mary. Nobody gets lynched.) 

Each Night, you send in your actions. The cycle continues until one side wins. Days are 72 hours and nights are 24 hours. Weekends count for zero hours.

Game rules & guidelines:
  • You may not PM other players other than the mod. The mafia will have a place to talk to themselves.
  • Never edit your posts, even to fix typos!  If you make a mistake, just double post- it's permitted here. Violation of this rule can lead to deadly repercussions.  I recommend using the preview button every time you post.
  • Never quote your role PM or any other PM sent to you by the mod.
  • If you need more time to discuss, you may ask for an extension.  If more players ask for one than those who decline one, the day will be extended by 48 hours.
    • There are no limit to the number of extensions allowed per day.
  • Please don't forget about this game if you sign up! If you cannot continue playing, please ask for a replacement! I will prod you via PM if you do not post in 48 hours to remind you that this game exists!
    • Note that a Mafia game usually takes a long time to finish: two weeks at least, and sometimes even longer than a month. Be ready for this.
    • Upon receiving your second prod, you are forcibly replaced (Another player takes your place) or modkilled (removed from the game) for inactivity. Beware.
  • Upon being killed, you are entitled to one "Bah!" post, but you are not allowed to post any game-related content. After your Bah post, you MUST NOT POST AGAIN unless you somehow come back to life (impossible in this setup) or replace back in (you must have been town to do this). Failure to comply with this rule can lead to a bad reputation amongst mods, and difficulty in joining other games.
  • Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!

In this setup, there are the possibility of extra roles. These roles are Cop and Doctor for Town, and Roleblocker and Godfather for Mafia.
  • A Cop inspects any player at Night. They are told that player's alignment, but not their role.
  • A Doctor may protect any player at Night. This stops that player from being killed.
  • A Roleblocker stops an extra role from using an action. This stops Doctors and Cops but does nothing for Townies.
    • Roleblockers do not actually discover if their attempts were successful or not; that would be too powerful because the roleblocker would know they found a town power role. It isn't an investigative role (the same goes for the Doctor)! The Mafia needs to find the town power roles the old-fashioned way: analyzing behavior and voting patterns.
    • Townies do not receive a message if they were blocked by a Mafia Roleblocker. Only a Cop or a Doctor will receive a message.
  • A Godfather, if investigated by a Cop, looks just like a normal Townie.

There is a 50% chance for any of these roles to show up. It is possible to end up with no extra roles.

Extensions require support from at least one of the players.  You may oppose extensions as well, which cancels out an extension request.  For example, if there were five players, with two requesting and two opposing, there would be no extension.  (2-2 = 0 of 5)

Along with opposing extensions, there is also the option to Shorten/End the Day. They work differently from extensions, 33% required to pass with no objections. Shortening the Day ends the Day makes the day end as quickly as I can process it. Due to the nature of these requests, they also act just like Counter-Extensions.

Please bold requests/opposition to extensions, and Mod/my name if you want to ask me a question in-thread.  (IE: Mod: I have a question!)

Players:
Heliman, Town
Orangebottle, Town
Breadbocks, Secret Agent (Mafia)
CrownofFire, Town
Simmura McCrea, Town
major_sephiroth, Town

ICs:
Jim Groovester, Town
Toaster, Town
webadict, Secret Agent (Mafia)

Player Replacement Queue:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Resources:

Our own Bay12 Mafia tutorial
The Notable Games archive. Read a famous game from start to finish! Learn some Mafia history.
The Mafiascum wiki. Lots of theory, terminology, and game analysis.
An Interactive Flash tutorial by one of the Mafiascum.net people. Helpful visualization!

If you're still confused, join anyhow and we'll teach you!

And if you have any other questions, just ask!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:31:04 pm by lordnincompoop »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/13, 1/2]: Double digits!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:43:16 am »

You need to run this game with 9 players, dude.  Beginner's Mafia games always run with 9 to avoid tiring the town out too much.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [0/7, 1/2]: Double digits!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:46:31 am »

There I updated it.

Happy now?  :P

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:48 am »

I'm not joining, but could I spoilspec this one?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:56 am »

Not much to spoilspec, I think. You can just spectate and wait for when I release the logs.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:35 am »

Add something to the OP about the time commitment it takes to play a game of mafia. Players should expect the game to last more than two weeks, at the minimum, and sometimes longer than a month.

Players leaving midgame and needing a replacement is annoyingly common.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 01:49:23 pm »

In. all I really have to say about that.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [1/7, 1/2]: Double digits!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »

Man, I have so much rubbish in my bedroom, I sould really get a bin.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »

I may be over-extending myself, but I do have some free time. Count me in
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »

In. Played a few games, have only confirmed how badly I sucked.
Paying special attention to these:
Quote from: do's
Never underestimate your importance, and always play to win!
and
Quote from: don'ts
Resigning yourself to being lynched.
Saying something like "there's no way for me to avoid being lynched so I won't bother trying"
Voting yourself for any reason.
Guilty of breaking all of them. :C
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

The King of Eggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXII [4/7, 1/2]: Halfway there!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

If your taking them i will in as an IC.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

ICs play in the game. I also have never seen you here.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

TKoE, I'll need to see some proof of experience from you before you can join as an IC. Otherwise, I can't trust that you'll be a good mentor for these guys.
You can definitely join as a normal player though.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »

I'll be watching and stuff.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 02:00:09 pm »

Just three more people and an IC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36