Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Expanded Glazes Mod  (Read 18042 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Expanded Glazes Mod
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:11:21 am »

Expanded Glazes Mod

Download at DFFD

Having been slightly disappointed with how few glazes we had to play with, and how every glazing would take an entire ore stone to make an item, I decided to expand the possibilities a little.

With the expanded glazes mod, you can now use 14 different forms of glaze, from 19 different sources. 

Rather than using an entire ore stone, you first grind the ore into a glaze powder at the quern or millstone, and put the resulting powder into a jug.

ATTENTION: Glazes are listed as a POWDER_MISC_CREATURE for lack of a better term.  This means that it stockpiles as a type of food under "bone meal".  While odd to count metal glazes as bone meal, there are no current uses for bone meal stockpile, making this much easier to work with in stockpiles.  (It also doesn't exactly count as a metal bar...)

Doing this, ash glazes can glaze 3 items, and metal glazes produce 20 units of powder, with any glazing project taking up at least 2 units of powder. 

With this, however, you have the freedom to create more colorful glazes.  At the kilns, you have the following four options of glazing:
  • Ash Glaze - as per the norm, but now three glazings can be performed per bar of ash
  • Monochromatic Glazing - Uses up two powders (1/5th of an ore) to glaze an object a solid color.
  • Dichromatic Glazing - Uses up one white powder (tin or zinc ores) and one powder of another color to glaze an object a decorative combination of colors. These have a small chance of having colored bands that increase the value.
  • Polychromatic Glazing - Uses up one white powder, and three other colored powders to create the full spectrum of colors to decorate your object's surface.  Each color has a chance of bands which can greatly increase the value of an already very valuable object.

(Without the ability to decorate with pictures, making bands on your ceramics is the best you can do.)

You can use the following glaze types:
  • olive ash glaze
  • cream white tin glaze
  • pearl white zinc glaze
  • gold glaze
  • turquoise green copper glaze
  • rust red iron glaze
  • chartreuse green nickel glaze
  • scarlet red lead glaze
  • vermilion cinnabar glaze
  • cobalt blue glaze
  • saffron yellow orpiment glaze
  • lemon yellow antimony glaze
  • dark indigo manganese glaze
  • ultramarine lapis lazuli glaze
  • orange radiant pitchblende glaze (Yes, people actually glazed things with uranium.  Apparently, they liked it for it's "radiant glossiness", and because it would glow green at night.  Tell me how that one buffs out for ya...)

I also have an option in the quern menu to only grind "non-critical" ores, in case you don't want to grind up your iron, copper, or tin into glazes.  There is also a "useless ore" option for only grinding up non-smeltable ores.

If this goes over well, I plan to try making an enamel and a lacquer mod.

Also, bring up any extra potential pigments you can think of!

As always, I welcome any sort of feedback, especially if you notice any problems.

Versions:
1.8 - Increased to 20 powders per ore from the previous 10, which was from back before smelting gave 4 bars.
1.7 - Updated to 40.xx
1.6 - Fixes problem with glazes having gem "cuts" because they are considered "stone" by making glazes a type of bone powder, instead.
1.5 - Updated to 34.01
1.4 - Corrected mistaken replacement of Gypsum Powder and Ceramic state names with adjectives.
1.3 - Corrected mixing of mods caused by 1.2
1.2 - Used jugs instead of bags, made additional reactions for more specific ore-crushing.
1.1 - Put descriptions of color into glaze names.
1.0 - Initial version
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:49:20 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Glazes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:12:02 am »

I can make a process to have an intermediate step in glazing so that ores are crushed into ore powders before they are used in glazing, and this lets me create a stack of glazes rather than a single glaze.  I've also expanded the number of materials that can be used for glazes.

The problem I'm having relates to the actual "crush glazes to make glaze powder" reaction.

See this, for example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, a basic "crush something with GLAZE_MAT tag" reaction works well.  When I try to make the game crush a cassiterite ore using the GLAZE_MAT_WHITE token, however, it doesn't seem to recognize any of the materials.

This means that I can generally make the mod I want to make work, but I can't make the game recognize that I want the querns to crush just this one specific type of ore.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:56:18 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:16 am »

So those exact raws with just GLAZE_MAT_WHITE replaced with GLAZE_MAT works perfectly fine?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:27:00 am »

Yes, GLAZE_MAT is implied in the raws in the Inorganic_mineral.txt file with just [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT:INORGANIC:TIN_GLAZE]

... I guess I can try replacing the [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE] with [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE:...]

I'm really not sure when variable names are being reused, and what variables are hardcoded to behave a certain way.

EDIT:
Also, I've been trying to make all the glazes have their own state colors.  Hence, cobaltite isn't just 1:0:1 blue, but is "cobalt" blue.  Is there any way to make that appear without me making the cobalt glaze powder into a dye?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:34:14 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:28 am »

... I guess I can try replacing the [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE] with [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE:...]

OK, this seems crazy, but apparently, it works.

I really have no idea how this crazy raw language works at all.

At least this means I know how to prevent ash glazes from being put in with all the other glazes.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:13 am »

I'm glad to hear someone is working on this mod as I appreciate little details like this in game.  Researching glazes was on my list of things to do since I noticed how few were included in vanilla DF.

Reactions and their related tokens can be really strange.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »

It sounds like this idea somewhat overlaps in places with my plant-based glazes idea. If you come up with a reaction that consistently works with glaze reagents in powder form, I would like to know about it please.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »

At least this means I know how to prevent ash glazes from being put in with all the other glazes.
I think it's because cassiterite has [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT:INORGANIC:TIN_GLAZE], meaning that ore is part of the GLAZE_MAT reaction product, but the reaction is calling up [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE], so it never finds the cassiterite.

As far as using reaction classes to have the same effect, I think it's supposed to be like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_GLAZE_WHITE]
   [NAME:make white glaze powder]
   [BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_W]
   [BUILDING:MILLSTONE:CUSTOM_W]
   [REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE]<--- changed line
   [REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][BAG][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [PRODUCT:100:10:POWDER_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:25][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
   [SKILL:MILLING]
What this should do is make the game pick ANY ores tagged with [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE], and use it to make white glaze.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:30:32 pm by Patchouli »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »

Well, I've made a "make glazes out of iron ore" reaction work.  I've made the different flavors of glazing work (I need to assign different hotkeys to them, though...) with different glazes.  I've even got dark red pots from glazing with iron glazes, but I can't get them to say they are "glazed rust red with iron glaze".

Maybe I should just call them "rust red glazes" instead of "iron glazes"?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

I think it's because casserite has [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT:INORGANIC:TIN_GLAZE], meaning that ore is part of the GLAZE_MAT reaction product, but the reaction is calling up [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE], so it never finds the casserite.

As far as using reaction classes to have the same effect, I think it's supposed to be like this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_GLAZE_WHITE]
   [NAME:make white glaze powder]
   [BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_W]
   [BUILDING:MILLSTONE:CUSTOM_W]
   [REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE]<--- changed line
   [REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][BAG][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [PRODUCT:100:10:POWDER_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:25][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
   [SKILL:MILLING]
What this should do is make the game pick ANY ores tagged with [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE_MAT_WHITE], and use it to make white glaze.

Well, the thing that confused me was that I thought the GLAZE_MAT was a material token that was hard-coded and defined an item type (like "tool" or "boulder"), not some sort of reaction class that I could fill in with whatever crazy name I wanted.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:32:15 pm »

I've really never worked with the glazes in-game. What does it say by default if you glaze with cassiterite?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:45:04 pm »

I've really never worked with the glazes in-game. What does it say by default if you glaze with cassiterite?
"This is a large stoneware pot.  It is glazed with tin glaze."

Glazing by default makes your pots dark green, regardless of whether it is ash or tin glazed.

Tin was historically used to make your glazes white - it was an opacifier.  Presumably, the reason why Toady picked tin glaze over everything else in the game was because of the fact that before you make a multicolored piece of ceramic, you first have to put on some background white...

Thing is, that's forgetting that zinc was used for the exact same purpose, and zinc has almost no practical purpose, either. 

Also, there's nothing wrong with monochrome glazing an entire pot cobalt blue. 

So I'm making multiple layers of glazing...

• Ash-glazing (the cheap stuff, although technically a little less cheap when there are now more ores that work with glazing)
  • Monochrome glazing - one ore glaze of any color
  • Dichromatic glazing - one white and one colored glaze (takes up half as much of each glaze)
  • Polychromatic glazing - one white, one red, one yellow, and one blue glaze is used (I fudged some oranges into yellow and blue-greens into blue to make that work).
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:49:35 pm »

Oh, that's neat. I don't think you'll be able to change the description much, so maybe naming it "rust red glaze" if the only way for you to get that description in there.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:12 pm »

Yeah, I've got the proof of concept working, so I think I'll be ready to "release" this once I do some things like rename it from "iron glaze" to "rust red glaze".

I also need to do a few things like make special reactions at the querns for specific metals, and a general "useless ore" reaction, so that people don't have to worry about using up important metals like iron or copper as a glaze. 

(Speaking of which, should I make an adamantine glaze?  Adamantine is used in everything else, anyway :P)

EDIT:
Of course, I already allow pitchblende as a resource for making glazes - it menaces with spikes of radioactivity! http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Uranium_glass
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:03:45 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »

Adamantine glazed pottery might be neat to have around. Would it just be a bright blue glaze?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5