Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 569282 times)

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #3105 on: June 12, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »

Having a lot of trouble with the tower of fire, got my fire resistance up to strong, which is plenty for my character to survive the "its hot!" ambient effect. However, whenever i get to the boss it just destroys me with its darkness spell. I tried bringing rods of silence and such but they just get burned by the fire and fireproof blankets run out pretty quick.

To get that fire resistance i took off a lot of my good gear and just replaced it with random items that give me some fire resistance but now i don't have really any darkness resistance. Any suggestions?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »

Do the static dungeon just north of Derphy. Part of the reward there is the gloves of vesda, which will make your life in the tower of fire much easier.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:32 pm »

Use fireproof potions on the items you want but does not have the fireproof brand, it will give it to them
That's how i had an easy time in the tower of fire (though i was between  level 25 - 30 and had very good items, and a highly damaging magic dart spell that made short work of the boss and his dragon) without risking any item loss to the fire.

Though i had to leave my minions at the tavern (i had not enough fireproof potions for every items i gave to them, only for mine) and of course get in the tower only with what i was wearing/wielding, leaving the other items at home.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:39 pm »

I'll try the dragons tower though i'm only level 23. In regard to the fireproof potions, how long does the effect last?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »

Dipping items in fireproof potions lasts forever. No idea what'll happen if you dig an item that's not naturally fireproof into a cursed fireproof potion though.

Level isn't really a good measure of strength so I can't really tell how you'll fare. Make sure you eat Vesda's corpse for the big fire resistance boost.

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »

Definitely not strong enough to take on Vesda yet. I can make it through to him ok but once i get to him he kills me pretty easily. Guess i'll grind the lower dungeons some more and get some better gear.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:45 am »

After some gene engineering to get my army leveled, i decided to hire "God Spear Vurot" , that was one of the top10 in the adventurer list (number 7, she was the only one i could find at that point she was in Derphy, the other were exploring the continent and so nowhere to be seen)
She costed me a lot of money but i hoped that would be worth it if she was a top10 warrior.

Then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sexy Recollection Bargorum just got a win.
And that crazy amount of hour i wasted was only for the 1st act ?
Insane :D

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:23 am »

By the way, what are those bars that appear on your pets when you accidentally hit them with things like fire or ice bolts (or whatever those spells are that hit things in a line)?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:48 am »

Is it on Elona+?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:22 am »

After trying ADOM, it seems as though 90% of Elona game has been derived from it. I haven't gotten too far in ADOM but can someone who has tell me how similar Elona is to ADOM's late game?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 13, 2013, 11:30:02 am »

Anyone know how skill gain for melee is calculated? I healed and beat on a bunch of mass monsters but noticed that i didnt gain any skill points, went and bashed a few other mobs and was gaining again, even when healing them... Is there a limit on how long you can beat on something before you stop gaining from that mob?

Also, what decides the gain when sleeping? I tend to get below 15% when resting just now I got 46% when I've never gotten more than 20 before in the same bed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »

I don't know exactly how each potential gains are decided, i suspect there are randomness included, for the book reading problem some people had, i experimented and noticed after reloading a save that the gain was never the same from reading a book.
So i imagine randomness is working for everything else too regarding potential and skill gains.

Quote from: Niveras
By the way, what are those bars that appear on your pets when you accidentally hit them with things like fire or ice bolts (or whatever those spells are that hit things in a line)?

The bar below is their health (only if you have used the stethoscope on them) , in Elona+ there's another bar below that is their "special" attack gauge, it increase for every hits they do and recieve.
On top there's sometime a bubble indicating they're not happy when you hit them with a spell accidentally. A good idea to train the "Control Magic" spell to avoid half killing them.

Quote from: Micro102
After trying ADOM, it seems as though 90% of Elona game has been derived from it. I haven't gotten too far in ADOM but can someone who has tell me how similar Elona is to ADOM's late game?

Out of a few similarities (the puppy cave that is the same ADOM puppy quest, the tower of fire that act the same against your items and your fire resistance, the etherwind diseases that are chaos corruption in ADOM, the sacrifice in altar to gain favour until you're crowned and get items) , you'll see that ADOM is very different on the long run.

Elona has a lot of completely optional actions, dungeons etc to do, while ADOM has only some optional dungeons, and is overall more serious fantasy while Elona introduce a lot of humour elements to the setting. the map in Elona has much more locations, the random town missions do not exist in ADOM , there are only fixed quests.

The late game in Elona+ has a few similarity , as you get to the lowest level of the Dungeon quest (Lesimas) after collecting 3 stones to open closed stairs and must defeat Zeome to complete the game.

While in ADOM you must reach the lowest level of the Dungeon quest (Cavern of Chaos) after collecting 5 orbs to open the closed stairs and in the end close the Chaos gate (or if you met some specific conditions, enter the gate and beat what's inside for an alternate more complete ending)

But thanks to Elona+ , that's not the end, as you unlock the act2 and a whole new continent by beating Zeome, while in ADOM, it's the end.

Then in Elona, along optional random and fixed dungeons of various danger levels you have many, many (optional) things you can do when not following the main quest, while in ADOM you have some optional fixed dungeons but not much out of that.

ADOM is more serious themed, while Elona has a lot of (not always good taste) humour and parody.
In the end, both are really great games to play.

ADOM require a lot of spoilers reading to avoid crippling your character and chance to complete the game unfortunately (i completed ADOM once with a Grey Elven Wizard with the basic ending, but i think i couldn't have if i didn't read spoilers first, there are thing you must not do and things you must do that you can't know with what the game gives you as informations), while you may not need that much spoiler to complete the act1 of Elona+
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:56:08 pm by Robsoie »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »

So it sounds like you had fun, I'm assuming your going into act 2 next right?
Unlike the normal elona act you will need the wiki to help you because only some of it is untranslated and its very easy to miss what you need to do.
I recommend these two pages to help guide you through there
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Rehmido
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/South_Tyris
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: June 13, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

Quote from: Niveras

The bar below is their health (only if you have used the stethoscope on them)
Actually, it temporarily shows their health when you accidentally hit them, regardless of whether you used that or not. Similar to how you see enemies' health when you hit them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 13, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »

Never noticed that (as i always used the stethoscope for as long as i remember playing Elona ;) )
Good to kow.

So it sounds like you had fun, I'm assuming your going into act 2 next right?
Unlike the normal elona act you will need the wiki to help you because only some of it is untranslated and its very easy to miss what you need to do.
I recommend these two pages to help guide you through there
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Rehmido
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/South_Tyris

Thanks, i'll sure have to play with refering to the wiki, as i doubt untranslated quests and hints will be anything easy to figure out.

I ran this character for 70 hours, and in the end of act1 i felt that he wasn't strong enough and would surely have required probably a dozen more hours of grinding to be up to fight that boss in fair conditions (because in fact the victory i had was only because at some point -with lots of luck- a silence was not resisted by the boss, so i could finish him without him healing as easily as he did for many turns before) .
So is that going to be the same never ending grinding in act2 to get levels and skills up to the various bosses available or is it going to be shorter ?

I have read about an unfinished act3 but i can't imagine getting there one day if act2 is roughly the same length of act1
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 291