Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 23602 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Black Powder Firearms
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:06:01 pm »

Download

Black Powder Firearms mod by Jake, Acperience, Hugo the Dwarf and the Dwarf Fortress community.
Based on the Muskets mod (v0.4) by Michael_Almeida

Overview:
* Seven new weapons
* Six new kinds of ammunition
* Three new workshops
* Reactions for making powder and shot, and combining them with fabric to make cartridges, as well as metal mechanisms

Changelog:

v0.1: Initial pre-release. Embarrassingly broken.
v0.2: Increased the velocity of bullets from 5000 to 10000 and gunstones from 3500 to 7500, and changed their damage type from BLUNT to EDGE. Increased SHOOT_FORCE of rifles from 30000 to 50000. Added Ammunition Mint and Workbench, and fixed a typo in the reaction for making cartridges.
v0.3: Changed gunpowder reaction to use coke as well as charcoal, and tweaked the ratios of sulphur and saltpetre a bit.
v0.4: Added bladed pistols and reaction to make gunpowder from potash. Tidied up the reaction to prepare cartridges, added small bayonets to rifles and tweaked ammo properties.
v0.5: Fixed Workbench building raws, added zinc and tin bullets.
v0.6: Incorporated Acperience's magma-powered buildings. Fixed bug in reaction for cartridges and added [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED] to it.
v0.7: Separated pistol and long-gun ammunition, added the Rocket Tube, various minor bugfixes.
v0.7a: Incorporated Hugo the Dwarf's reaction fixes.
v0.8: Finally cleaned up the gunpowder reactions, added the shotgun.
v0.8a: Fixed a typo in the ammunition reactions.
v0.8b: Fixed yet more typos.

TODO:
* Some way of incorporating flint that doesn't involve using a whole boulder at a time. (Suggestions for implementing slow-matches are also welcome.)
* Various calibres of shot, using different quantities of powder. (Partially implemented.)

Installation instructions:
1. Copy the files into your raw/objects folder
2. Add some combination of the following to each civ in entity_default.txt:

[PERMITTED_BUILDING:GUN_FORGE]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:BULLET_MINT]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:WORK_BENCH]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_GEAR]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_GEAR]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_GEAR]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_GEAR]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_P]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BPOWDER_S]

[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_L]1
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_S]2
[PERMITTED_REACTION:CARTRIDGES_B]3

[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BULLET_L]4
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BULLET_L]4
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BULLET_L]4
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BULLET_L]4
[PERMITTED_REACTION:LEAD_BULLET_S]5
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BULLET_S]5
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_BULLET_S]5
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANY_BULLET_S]5

[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_ROCKET]6
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_ROCKET]6
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COPPER_ROCKET]6
[PERMITTED_REACTION:WOOD_ROCKET]6

[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MUSKET]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_RIFLE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_PISTOL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_PISTOL]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_PISTOL_BLADED]
[PERMITTED _REACTION:COPPER_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_AIRGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED _REACTION:COPPER_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_BBGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_CARBINE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_SHOTGUN]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ROCKET_TUBE]

1. Used by the musket and the rifle.
2. Used by the pistol and carbine.
3. Used by the shotgun.
4. Used to make large cartridges, and by the spring-gun.
5. Used to make small cartridges and buckshot cartridges, and by the small spring-gun.
6. Used by the hand mortar.

3. Generate a new world.

Musket/Rifle/Spring-gun/Shotgun components:
-1 bar of metal (iron, bronze or steel for muskets and rifles, copper for spring-guns)
-1 log
-1 metal mechanism (made from iron, copper, bronze or steel at the gunsmith's forge)

Hand mortar components:
-1 bar of steel
-1 log
-1 metal mechanism (made from iron, copper, bronze or steel at the gunsmith's forge)

Pistol components (per two pistols, bladed or otherwise):
-1 bar of metal (iron, bronze or steel)
-1 log
-2 metal mechanisms

Carbine/Small spring-gun components: (Per pair)
-3 bars of metal
-1 log
-2 metal mechanisms

Gunpowder ingredients (per ten bags):
-2 brimstone
-8 saltpeter or potash
-1 bar of charcoal (not coke, at least for now)
-10 empty bags

Cartridge components (per 60 large or 100 small cartridges):
-60 large or 100 small gunstones (made with one bar of lead, zinc, tin, copper, bronze, silver, iron or steel)
-1 bag of gunpowder
-1000 cloth

Buckshot cartridge components (per 30 buckshot cartridges):
-180 small gunstones
-1 bag of gunpowder
-2000 cloth

Rocket components (per five rockets):
-1 bar of copper, iron or steel OR 1 log
-1 bag of gunpowder
-Fuel (except wooden rockets)

Notes:
I've tried to strike the best possible balance between realism, game-engine limitations and playability, but it's fully intended that gunpowder requires a considerable amount of effort to manufacture. You are also strongly advised to give all civilisations at least some of these weapons, even if only spring-guns, in the interests of keeping things interesting.

Armour isn't completely obsolete, but even soldiers in full steel platemail can expect broken bones and internal injuries. Doubling up with leather armour might help a bit, but probably the best thing you can do is engage from behind fortifications.

Removing bows and/or crossbows from the race you're playing as is not recommended, as this could have unpredictable effects on your hunters, not to mention leave you without any ranged weapons at all if you're unlucky with worldgen.

It may be possible to force marksdwarves to train exclusively with crossbows or spring-guns by only allocating bolts or gunstones for training and setting your squads to "individual choice, ranged", but this is almost certainly more trouble than it's worth.

Known (or suspected) issues:
Weapons and ammunition only obtainable through reactions don't turn up with caravans, or presumably in the hands of invaders. The only known workaround for this is to add them to entity_default as [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET] etc.

Bullets might occasionally be found stuck in the ground or dead enemies the way arrows or crossbow bolts are. Can't do much about this, unfortunately.

Muskets and spring-guns can be fitted to upright spear traps, which I suppose is as good a way as any of using up weapons that are surplus to requirements. I'm not sure how SHOOT_MAXVEL affects items placed in a weapon trap either, but that shouldn't even be possible with muzzle-loading weapons in the first place.

The reactions for metal mechanisms are semi-redundant now that metal mechanisms are back in vanilla, but they don't currently show up as a separate task in the Manager screen. I'm leaving them in as a workaround.

Bonus Content:
A few new and modified melee weapons for added variety. Entries marked with a # are intended to replace existing raw entries, so bear this in mind when copying and pasting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:41:23 am by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »

Left out lead for ammo, and potash could be used as a sub for saltpeter. 5k cloth for cartridges, is a little large. For the spring guns, would need steel for the springs, since other materials would be too brittle, low tensile strength
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:15 am »

Left out lead for ammo, and potash could be used as a sub for saltpeter. 5k cloth for cartridges, is a little large. For the spring guns, would need steel for the springs, since other materials would be too brittle, low tensile strength
Lead ammunition is definitely in the raws; are you sure you didn't leave the reaction out of entity_default by mistake? I'll take your other comments into consideration, but I'm waiting on a bit more feedback before the next version.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:00:03 am »

i have two mods incorporating stuff like this: my alchemists mod (creating loads and loads of saltpeter out of even bigger loads of wood with potash refinery)
and the thunderbluss mod (which basicly does the same as your mod just only one weapon :x)

though to keep thing simpler i only used 1 brimstone/saltpeter/coal per bag, and each bag creates a lot of bullets :x
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:19:28 am »

though to keep thing simpler i only used 1 brimstone/saltpeter/coal per bag, and each bag creates a lot of bullets :x
So did the mod I based it on, but I couldn't resist making it more complex. And 120 rounds per sack of gunpowder ought to be plenty once I tweak the reaction a bit. Might go with Fredd's suggestion instead of a reaction to create saltpetre, actually; I don't know if the ashery can accept a custom reaction, and my custom workshop design skills are... lacking, to say the least.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

Yes. More and better ways to kill. I approve.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:18 am »

What are the differences between muskets/rifles/air-guns/pistols besides the materials used to create them?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:43:49 am »

Rifles have the highest muzzle velocity but a slightly longer reload time than muskets, but muskets possess spike bayonets. Pistols are quicker to reload but have a lower muzzle velocity than both, but can be used in conjunction with a shield. Spring-guns have a slightly better reload time than a musket and carry bayonets, but are much less powerful.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:37 am »

Rifles have the highest muzzle velocity but a slightly longer reload time than muskets, but muskets possess spike bayonets. Pistols are quicker to reload but have a lower muzzle velocity than both, but can be used in conjunction with a shield. Spring-guns have a slightly better reload time than a musket and carry bayonets, but are much less powerful.

I thought the weapon system was weird to the point of being able to hold several weapons/shields in one hand, but rifles/muskets/spring-guns disallows shield holding?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:07 am »

slightly longer reload time than muskets [...] Pistols are quicker to reload

How does this work? I wasn't aware that there were any means of affecting firing speed.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »

I thought the weapon system was weird to the point of being able to hold several weapons/shields in one hand, but rifles/muskets/spring-guns disallows shield holding?
They're too large for dwarves to hold one-handed; the same size as a longsword in fact. I think that should work properly.

How does this work? I wasn't aware that there were any means of affecting firing speed.
SHOOT_MAXVEL is the tag that governs the reload rate, and SHOOT_FORCE alters muzzle velocity, which is apparently sort of like the force multiplier tag in melee damage. I think.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:09:39 am »

Did you test out rifles and other two-handed weapons in fortress mode?

I always thought that ranged weapons needed to be one handed so they could hold ammo in the free hand.

But if not, that's good news.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:19 am »

I always thought that ranged weapons needed to be one handed so they could hold ammo in the free hand.

I've not yet had an opportunity to test this, I'm afraid. I genned one world with an earlier, horribly broken incarnation of the mod, and only had time to fix the major screwups before going on vacation. I won't have access to my gaming rig for a few weeks.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »

I've not yet had an opportunity to test this, I'm afraid. I genned one world with an earlier, horribly broken incarnation of the mod, and only had time to fix the major screwups before going on vacation. I won't have access to my gaming rig for a few weeks.

I'm about to gen a world with firearms, what skill affects gun usage?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:23:51 pm »

I'm about to gen a world with firearms, what skill affects gun usage?
Marksdwarf for the ranged attack, and weapons with bayonets use the speardwarf skill whilst the rest use MISCWEAPON.

And I did add a lot of comments to the raws answering most of these questions, you know.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19