Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Foldedlens {ended - embark corrupt}  (Read 18791 times)

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foldedlens community game 1 year turns 31.25 Vanilla
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2011, 12:12:02 am »

I'll get on it tomorrow.

downloading
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:42:52 pm by futility »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »

From the journal of Andy:

that bastard kicked me out my room! MY ROOM! which i dug and engraved with my own hands! the only thing keeping my pick out of Conan's skull is that he's the militia commander. you mess with
one of those guys and next thing you know, you've got ten others beating on you.

i've had to sleep in the HOSPITAL of all places! and let me tell you, those screams of pain form the wounded don't help one get to sleep. mark my words Conan, i shall have my revenge.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »

What? When did I take your room?

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »

you gave it to the mayor  >:(
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »

Because he needed some awesome rooms.

Just ask futility to make the mayor another room.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

Ugh.  Circumstances have come up that will prevent me from taking my turn.  Skip me and go onto the next.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:09 pm »

Ugh.  Circumstances have come up that will prevent me from taking my turn.  Skip me and go onto the next.

I have pushed you to the end of the list, and sent nanomagnetic a PM
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »

Got the save now. And wow! What a glorious mess. 5000 stone?!?

I'm working on a little flavor opener as I peruse the fort. But man, this is crazy. I don't think I've ever seen so much iron ore, plus a ton of flux, chalk is flux, right?

also, quick question what population cap are we shooting for? i've got my set low and we're pretty close to the vanilla cap (99/120?).
Foldedlens -- 1004

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »

OOC: yes, chalk is flux, so we are literally sitting on a mountain of (potential) steel. and Farmerbob never specified a Popcap, so i'm assuming it's whatever the vanilla one is. (200 IIRC)

A Letter to the Overseer

dear overseer, whoever you may be,

i'm writing to you with regards to my sleeping arrangements. or more precisely my sudden lack of sleeping arrangements. As one of the founders and as a previous overseer myself,  i request that a new room be dug out for this "Mayor" and i be moved back into my quarters. Also, i do enjoy doing a bit of masonry of the side, but Conan has forbidden me from doing any. it would be appreciated if you would strike down this standing order.

thank you,

Andy

P.S. if Conan wakes up with a pick in his chest don't say i didn't warn him.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:30:17 pm by andyman564 »

nanomagnetic

• Bay Watcher
  • cable * sprocket * chain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »

prologue -- spring

1st of Granite 1004

Happy New Year, mother, there's a lot to say, you might want to sit down. First, some good news.

I am doing well at Ostcerol. When I first arrived I was made a Pump Operator, and I did my very best at it. I got so good at operating pumps that I was given the title "Pump Operator". I'm the only dwarf in town with that title!

I also did like you asked, and I am now keeping my beard neatly combed. Some of the militia recruits teased me, accused me of trying to be like them. But I think you were right, this is more acceptable.

There's also plenty of food and drink. Not at all like the stories you and father used to tell about settling in the south.

My coworkers are fine. Asmel, the mechanic, she's a little distant, but she is pleasant to work with. The other Asmel, our town's ranking engineer (she specializes in Siegeworks), is just angry all the time, but I can't believe how smart she is. Overall, we get our work orders and we get our jobs done without the Bosses breathing down our beards.

They, Asmel and Asmel, said they might consider letting me apprentice in Siege Operations or Mechanics, since I have such an excellent record. Work was slow all winter, but for sure, they said, this Spring I'll get my apprenticeship.

But now some not good news, mother.

Leaving home isn't as pleasant as I thought it would be. I don't have my own bedroom. The common areas are incredibly exquisite, to use one of your favorite words, but I can't help but notice that most of the dwarves here are "hot-bunking" as the militia likes to call it. We all share the same beds, except for the mayor.

It's incredibly unfair. We have enough dwarves to turn this volcano inside-out, but we don't even get privacy. I've seen some dwarves sneak in a nap at the infirmary where there's less noise.

We haven't seen upper management the last few days, so there's no one to complain to. There's rumors going around that they're having trouble picking the next overseer. Mostly it means there's no work to be done and we are all getting restless.

But the worst of it is pretty bad. My problems are smalled compared to other's. There's blood all over the drawbridges from all the ambushes. I saw a farmer missing an arm. With every caravan more goblins appear and a few more dwarves die. The militia is carrying most of this burden, and you can see it affects them.

When the puppies and kittens get culled, for example, they laugh about it and volunteer to haul away the parts. There's an arena where they fight captured goblins, and leave all the bodies to rot, so I'm told.

I know this is all pretty grim, but please don't worry about me. We have strong walls and we are very safe here. Hopefully a new overseer will be picked soon, and things will get sorted out. I will write more to let you know that I'm doing okay.

send my regards to the family,
nano

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:31:12 pm by nanomagnetic »
Foldedlens -- 1004

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

god

NOT ALL THE ARENA LEVERS

THE TOP RIGHT ONE. MAKE SURE ALL MECHANISMS ARE ATTACHED.

Again, post battle logs. Also, I did start on making bedrooms, go down two z levels (past that huge room full of stone) and you should see a 3 tile wide hallway. I intended the bedrooms to extend from there.

I also made some beds, about 20 or so. With so many workers, I'm pretty sure you can get cabinets and coffers churned out in time for bedrooms.

And you don't need to make steel as the whole milita's equipped (or is supposed to be) with iron armor. If we go the steel route just manufacture the stuff and make sure you have enough steel armor and weapons before de-equipping all the iron stuff. Last thing we want is a half-armored army.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2011, 11:53:32 pm »

I've been experimenting with easy design happy dwarf quarters that use up lots of stone :)

Here's what I've come up with:

Code: [Select]
WWWW
WOHW
WF.W
WSDW
WBFW
WH.W
WH.W
WSDW
(mirror image of above)

All natural floors are turned into built floors before furniture is placed.
W = natural rock wall
O = coffin, made into a tomb room
H = rock coffer
F = rock cabinet
S = statue - they will act as walls to dwarves, but cannot support loads they are included in room values if they fall inside the room highlight borders.
D = door
B = bed
. = floor - I normally put 1 tile prepared food and 1 tile drink stockpiles in every bedroom.  If a dwarf dies with no corpse, the empty spot in the tomb has a slab put in it.

Two rooms for every dwarf.  Bedroom and tomb.  Plenty of junk storage for collected clothing stuff.  The dwarves stay happy, and the rooms are not big enough to make the noble upset unless you start fitting them with artifacts and getting silly.

Creating the rooms takes no time at all.  A three wide hallway with 2x7 alcoves on either side.  Pave the alcoves fully with constructed rock floors.  The statues and doors and all other furniture fit on the paving just fine.  Burns up lots of rock.  Set up a workshop and make rock pots if there are extra rocks laying around after you are done.  Smooth but do not engrave the walls (avoid noble anger)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:55:13 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2011, 12:30:32 am »

Noble anger can be easily quelled. That huge storage room is turning out to be useless. Smooth and engrave the whole thing, stuff all the nobles in there, and make sure all the rooms cover the whole room. The 20x40 space will add a lot to the quality and the engravings double.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2011, 01:30:02 am »

Noble anger can be easily quelled. That huge storage room is turning out to be useless. Smooth and engrave the whole thing, stuff all the nobles in there, and make sure all the rooms cover the whole room. The 20x40 space will add a lot to the quality and the engravings double.

Overlapping rooms lowers their value.  Not a really big deal in a 20x40 room with lots of engravings, but mixing room type furniture can give bad thoughts, I have heard, beds in offices or dining rooms, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11