Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Could not find path??? RESOLVED, BUG  (Read 7099 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Could not find path??? RESOLVED, BUG
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »

I just sent my squad down there, yet my civilians can't get there.  What gives?  It's in my burrows (and no burrows are assigned to alerts), main stairwell runs all the way up to my fortress, yet my dwarves keep cancelling a remove construction.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:27:48 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could not find path???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

just to verify, I created a burrow down there and assigned all my dwarves to it and they still cancel the task.  It's a wall in the caverns i'm trying to remove so I can assign a dog onto a chain that will be released via lever, so he'll explore the cavern after I wall it off again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:46:15 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »

that was too weird and stupid, and opened up a hole in my defenses. I created a stairwell on the other side of the wall (from an adjacent hallway that the other stairwell was connected to) just so I could remove the wall

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »

nevermind, I think I got it, I'm not sure how or why, but I saw it didn't go all the way up, doesn't explain how people got down there though.

nevermind again, there is something weird going on.  mine and up/down stairwell are getting cancelled even tho there right under another up/down stairwellf.  I don't know...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:55:58 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:55 pm »

If someone wants to try, I'm playing civ forge 2_42

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4845

and my save

http://www.mediafire.com/?vxv4pvso80z6mgq

You guys might like my fortress, tho it's not advanced advanced, it employs a lot of the advanced techniques.

The z-levels I'm having issues on are: 117 (can't build two up/down stairwells between the two levels)

and

if I try to remove the wall on z-level 131 (next to the stairwell next to some spike traps) , I get can't find path errors.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:08:04 pm by thistleknot »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:37 am »

I noticed that my up/down stairs don't work right when set directly over top a ramp up.  They do work overtop steps up, tho.  But ramp up, won't link to a up/down stair, when in a vertical column.

I don't know how a soldier would be able to trespass, but a civie not.  Odd.  I see this a lot around my hospital, when they try and fill coffers with stuff, and my storage is overlaping in the same area.

I did also notice that sometimes civies won't approach a corpse, not sure if its something to do with trait compassion or pity or something else like emotion.  But I've seen some strange pathing near dead stuff.

Good luck,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »

Similar issue was explained here

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92106.msg2573281#msg2573281

Yet the part is not unexplored (unless the dwarves wish to remove the wall from the other side (cavern side) and there is indeed another stairwell that goes into the caverns (from outside my fortress), which would most certainly be a further distance away.

This doesn't explain why I can't create a up/down stairwell between two z-levels tho (which also have adjacent up/down stairwells between levels).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »

But ramp up, won't link to a up/down stair, when in a vertical column.
Why should it? Ramps don't work that way - they have to be braced against a wall (and there has to be walkable space on top of that wall).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 02:06:57 pm »

I just loaded that world and ran DFHack's "revflood" utility (which unreveals the map and then reveals all tiles reachable from the cursor), and all of the pathing problems have disappeared.

At any point did you use any 3rd-party utilities on this embark?
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:17 pm »

nope.  thank god I got some validation.

you think it's a bug?  Should I report it since it's not vanilla (as far as I know, I believe civforge is only a raw editing mod)?

I took the advice of the forum thread I posted in here.  I explored with my militia to the other side of the wall (cavern side) I was trying to remove, and voila, it worked.  There is obviously a pathing bug.

Bug reported on

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1254

Edit/Update:

Seems my stairs still can't be built, and any work on that side of the wall (that I was trying to remove) is done on the cavern side.f  I don't know why this happened.  I was able to build the wall just fine, but I think as soon as I began another descent from another local into the caverns (i.e. outside my fortress), it caused this pathing issue.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:00:45 pm by thistleknot »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Could not find path??? RESOLVED, BUG
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »

Is it possible that there is a valid path between the areas at Z=117 and Z=131 and some other cavern entrance that goes through unrevealed territory? If so, that would explain what you're seeing - at Z=117, your miners want to dig the stairs from the west, and your dwarves want to deconstruct walls at Z=131 from the north. This also explains why revealing the map made the problem go away - the path they were finding was no longer going through unrevealed territory.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:01 pm »

Your question makes my head hurt, but I only had two entrances to the caverns.  One from within my fortress (which had access to the spike/traps, and hence the walls I wanted to deconstruct), and the other had access from outside my fortress, which is where I was trying to continue my stairwell down further.

I forgot to mention that when I removed the wall from the outside (I.e. within the cavern as they couldn't pathfind from w in the fortress to remove it, which means it took them a while to get to it). My dwarves started pouring out the opening to enter the cavern (I.e. from within the fortress to the cavern, I.e. not heading out the fortress to go into the cavern from the outside fortress cavern entrance).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:34:44 pm by thistleknot »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:53 pm »

the other had access from outside my fortress, which is where I was trying to continue my stairwell down further.
I believe it was that other access that your dwarves were trying to take - the stairs went straight down, went right through one cavern layer, then went further down and turned left near the Z=117 area.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:42 am »

Yeah, but it doesn't explain why they were ignoring the shorter path to the wall (I was trying to remove) that was accessible from within my fortress stairwell.  They wanted to take the longer one that was outside of the fortress, which does explain why they couldn't find path, but...

when I did open that wall (after exploring the caverns with my militia) the dwarves had no problem entering the cavern from within my fortress thru the opened wall.  So there is some weird issue there.  Oh well, posted on the bug thingy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:28 am »

Much like digging and wood cutting, dwarves always try to remove constructed walls from a specific direction regardless of the path length to reach the tile - the preferred order is West, East, North, South, Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast (and then Above/Below). The fact that a path to the northern side of that wall existed at all meant that your dwarves insisted on trying to follow it (and abort with "Could not find path" because said path went through unrevealed tiles).
Pages: [1] 2