Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An Aerospace question(how to get a satellite to orbit in the asteroid belt)  (Read 2622 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Aerospace question(how to get a satellite to orbit in the asteroid belt)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:57 am »

I've been drinking.

This is perhaps the best response I have ever seen. I would quote it. But sadly it does not have me in it.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:33:44 am »

Interesting topic!
Am very much interested in long distance space exploration myself. Especially on the search for extra-terrestrial life and it would be nice to be able to create a relay network for communications on longer distances. It would save energy on senders/recievers, but I don't know if that is still an issue unless we get far away from any solar radiation for power.
Alas I can not help you with your question, as I have only just started on my first Astronomy book yesterday.

I second the question about where the mission will be going.

Good luck on your paper.
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

So for this paper I am writing, I am trying to think of a way to get a communication satellite in the asteroid belt to be used as a middle man between earth, and outer solar system missions. However, I have no idea on how to find out the feasibility of getting something into orbit at those distances, and therefore, is coming to this forum to ask the question: Is it possible to get somethign to orbit in the asteroid belt region? Or would I be better off having it land on an asteroid?

Despite what is seen in Hollywood, the asteroid belt has a very low density. It would be very simple to find a suitable orbit in the asteroid belt.

However, radio communications wouldn't degrade enough over the distance to require a relay station and the utility of a relay station in the asteroid belt would be minimal compared to the cost of placing it so far from Earth.

However, some sort of station on one of the larger asteroid could mine ice for fuel and could construct a large number of simple automated probes for a wicked awesome survey fleet.
Signature goes here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

So for this paper I am writing, I am trying to think of a way to get a communication satellite in the asteroid belt to be used as a middle man between earth, and outer solar system missions. However, I have no idea on how to find out the feasibility of getting something into orbit at those distances, and therefore, is coming to this forum to ask the question: Is it possible to get somethign to orbit in the asteroid belt region? Or would I be better off having it land on an asteroid?

Despite what is seen in Hollywood, the asteroid belt has a very low density. It would be very simple to find a suitable orbit in the asteroid belt.

However, radio communications wouldn't degrade enough over the distance to require a relay station and the utility of a relay station in the asteroid belt would be minimal compared to the cost of placing it so far from Earth.

However, some sort of station on one of the larger asteroid could mine ice for fuel and could construct a large number of simple automated probes for a wicked awesome survey fleet.
Von Neuman probes?
If you want to do mining operations in the asteroid belt , I think Ceres(which on it's own accounts for about 1/3 of the asteroid belts mass) will be your best bet. Also, If you want to get to the outersolar system with a lot of material(and you're not in a hurry) you might want to look into solar sails and/or Chemical engines.
Pages: 1 [2]