Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Richness of Stories  (Read 19259 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: The Richness of Stories
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

Whereabouts? I figured I'd try something a little strange in my writing, it's usually quite tame. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:25 am »

It works out in the end  ;D

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 01:44:29 pm »

The fort of HideMachine was little more than a gold mine with trappings of marble and silver. Sure the walls were elegant and the large basilica celebrated every aspect of the forts history, but everybody who lived there knew what its purpose was. The yellow stone that was so valuable, so precious to the survival of the people inside. Every industry was turned to maintaining the immense mines, flood gates redirected water flow from aquifer to safer regions. Magma cylinders stored and kept the hot molten liquid primed for the forges. At its prime the fortress could churn out millions of dwarfbucks in a year. Everybody was happy.

But there were whispers. The elven caravan had stopped coming after a trade agreement went sour. The Old Guard had seen scouts from the Goblin races, but then, that was to be expected. Then it came, the entire world crushing down upon HideMachine determined to loot and sack the city. One by one, warbands from every race came to attack the small little fort.

It is at this point that the reader needs to understand the layout of the fortress. The surface consisted of six towers, one at each corner and two on each side of the gates. Toward the rear of this small, above ground fortress were the barracks and the stores. The stores contained everything to maintain a considerable force. The fortress itself sat on the edge of a hill, with the barracks looking out over the large valley below. A small well sat in the center of the fortress yard with a culvert set into the hill to allow water into the fort.
The entrance to the fort was a small covered gate leading into a horizontal shaft, at the end of which it dropped down into what was the basilica. A massive structure spanning the full length of the fort, it served as the main thoroughfare by which all business was conducted. On the ground floor sat the main trading depot, a number of small craft workshops, a carpentry shop and a few residential nooks. The mezzanine above marked the difference between the affluent and the norm. The main office of the mayor sat opposite the entrance shaft high above the ground floor. It was the traditional place for the current leader to give his speeches to the masses below. On either side was the offices of the count and the offices of the watch. Both were vital in maintaining a sense of law and order. Below the mayor's office sat the corridor that connected the far end of the basilica to the great hall. Long rows of tables of all shapes and forms were set up for the huge numbers of dwarves that sat around drinking and waiting to be called upon to do their duty. Just a mere floor below this one began the mines, spanning tens of hundreds of meters were massive slabs of stone with long spiderwebs filled with gold. Its value was immense, very few civilizations had access to the material, it was even suggested by scholars that this was the only mine of gold in the entire world.

The fort existed as an example of the value of hard work and careful planning, few losses had been incured as a result of poor mining practices. The highest number of casualties was accrued by the local wildlife, but the solid marble walls of the fort had seen to that issue early in the forts life. Now the biggest problem were the empires of the world that had descended upon this group of dwarves.

Creatures of all shapes and sizes had crawled across the world to be here. Some, like the Jotun were unique and noble, others like the goblins were cruel and filthy creatures. Despite this they had conspired and were now besieging the noble fort. The dwarven marksmen we slaughtering them by the dozens, ensuring that no single creature approached even the bricks of the outbuildings. They were efficient and effective, their memories living on upon the walls of the basilica, carved there by engravers just a few years before the collapse.

The beasts and assembled creatures that had arrived to take control of the vast swathes of gold were disappointed by the stalemate. Some returned home as soon as their food stores had run dry, only to be replaced by more creatures. Others worked at tearing down the two gold statues of the gods of wealth and fortune that sat next to the iron gates, they were soon cut down by crossbow bolts. It wasn't until the goblins found the culvert that the situation became dire. Within a few months, trolls had arrived and were pressed to breach the little drain in the side of the wall. Within moments of its removal a great horn blast signaled the victory of the trolls and the warriors from every race upon the planet descended upon that little hole, they charged through into a small drain that fed into the well and ascended the stairs into the barracks. The marks dwarves moved quickly, their captain, realizing the gravity of the situation called out the the commander. Within moments a plan was worked upon and realised. The marks-dwarves covered the retreat and were soon lost to the masses.

Inside the depths of the fortress, the mayor rose and announced the fall of the surface fortress. He eyed the people below as talked and asked for volunteers to seal the entrance in the vain hope that help would arrive. A small contingent of masons raised their hands and were selected. At that moment, a number of guards burst into the grim procession. They carried wounded, and announced the fate of their comrades. Within moments the stone workers that had volunteered refused. When asked, they demanded that they must record the names and the faces of all those that had saved the last squad. The mayor agreed and set a small group of scholars to work. He himself aided in the construction of wall, the denizens of the world were sealed out, forced to contend with the last of the marks-dawrves.

The grim realization of their predicament set in as time passed. Gold trinkets were beginning to fill the basilica, without a buyer, they were worthless. The fortress had already begun to fall apart from the inside. Without a well to draw from, the wounded soldiers died a thirsty and horrible death. This was not taken well amongst the populace. Soon groups and factions began forming. With the full weight of the world bearing down, the structure of the fort was beginning to crack. One dwarf pulled the priming lever for the magma cylinder, drawing magma up without anywhere for the pressure to go, the deaths from the subsequent venting accident were never attributed, even today their names are written with remorse and blame for the entire fort.

As the factions drew further and further away, small fights became more and more frequent. Soon major skirmishes were being fought amongst those underground, threatening to jeopardize the security of the fort. The mayor saw this and committed one final act that has since cemented him as a saint amongst the other forts. He threw the gold into the fiery depths. With work to do, the people calmed. The fort held. Farming began to be the largest industry. But even as the gold was being tossed to the four winds, the mayor still demanded that the dwarves mine the useless stone. Chunk by chunk they drew it up and tossed it to the magma.

For almost a year the dwarves remained underground. Then one fatefull day occurred that was to cause so much calamity. The gold ran out. Despite having no personal use for the material and the creatures and races above preventing its sale to the rest of the world it was still the lifeblood of the fort. Within days fighting broke out once more, one of the miners drove his pick throught he mayors skull. Within hours of his death, many dwarves were killing in retribution. Farmers, miners, crafts dwarves. None were spared. One small contingent decided to end the bloodshed and tear down the wall, sending the fortress to the final oblivion.

The mayor of the fort was never canonized for his prevention of violence a single fortress. That has always been agreed upon as a point of irrelevance, the mayor was instead canonized for his forethought into preventing the subsequent wars of the species that wander the planet. His destruction of the gold ensured that no other fort, no obsidian tower, no forest hideaway was subjected to the cruel realities of that glistening metal. The very metal that had caused so much pain and suffering for his own people. That was what the mayor of HideMachine and the leader of the Old Guard ensured.

Within moments creatures of all shapes and sizes moved down the tunnel into the basilica. The bloodshed and the demolition of much of the fortress has caused much debate of the years but one thing is certain. Not a single goblin, or any number of the Jotun, not an elf or any nagaa walked away with a single scrap of gold. After the slaughter they simple left in failure, the people of HideMachine had had the last laugh. Even in death, they had caused the failure of the invaders goals.

Today the marble fortress sits in ruins. A small contingent of dwarves has settled upon the vast pile of rubble to scratch out an existence. They sell mostly marble blocks and crafts and relics of years ago. Few today know of the noble sacrifice of the marksdwarf squad, or the viscous betrayel of the factions against the mayor. The mayor himself is regarded with hushed tones and is the patron saint of gold and victory. but few know of him or what happened so many years ago, it is all just so many stories attributed to other places. Stories of greed. Stories of valor. Stories of conspiracy. One thing is certain however, there has never been another squabble over that yellow metal.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Jalapeño Cheesepuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »

-Kogan was born in 140 to unknown parents.
-In 222 Kogan became the general of the Virginal Artifact.
-In early 232 The Virginal Artifact attacked the Tufted Satins of the Boar of Stances at Weblutes. Kogan led the attack and the defenders were led by Fidale Brushstyle.
-In early 233 The Virginal Artifact attacked the Boar of Stances in the Pregnant Hills. Kogan led the attack and the defenders were led by Ithithe Velvetgears.

Quite the... names you have there, Reudh.
"The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed"

-Edmund Blackadder

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »

Yep. Great names.
The world's called 'Thur Arkoth' although I don't remember what that means.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »

Coincidentally I've got a old (and practically rubbish) story loosely based of DF that I wrote for an english class:
It was a combination of some community stories I had read (including the "Tale of Urist" or somesuch, a rather old story itself) and some things that happened in my own fortresses.

EDIT: Granted, I did get 4+ in all sections of the assignment. The comment the teacher left was "Who knew dwarves could talk so much". :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »

I forgot about this thread, but I got a pretty strong reminder of just how amazing the stories DF weaves can be with the slightest filling in the cracks.

I'm part of a community fort (pony mod, don't judge!), and it ended up turning into a huge RP thing where the players have really breathed a lot of life into the characters between fortress updates.

Well, last night my pony was killed by a forgotten beast.  I was actually moved by her death.  I felt it.  It hurt.  And it was glorious that DF could do that for me.  I thought I couldn't feel emotion any more.  It was really as if I'd lost a pet.

To make an amazingly long story readably short, my pony was one of those rare cases where someone immigrates with kids but no spouse.  I played it up like her husband was murdered before hand.  She was a loner, often sad and dejected and had no self confidence.  That much was even in her in game description.  In RP, she saved the duchess' life by taking a dagger for her.  She ended up in a royal guard as the captain, charged personally with protecting the duchess.

Then she gets caught up in a new romance (in RP again, hadn't gotten around to forcing it in game yet).  But she never gets married.  She's dead before she gets a chance.

She faced the FB alone.  Her fiancée was rushing to her to help, but he got there too late.  She was dead, leaving him and her daughter behind to pick up the pieces.  The giant feathered antelope kicked her skull in.

Prior to her facing the FB, she sparred with the duchess' husband, who was a legendary miner and thus kicked her butt all over the training room.  She felt inadequate.  They didn't need her.  They never had.  The duke consort was able to protect them easily without her.  She had to prove to the duchess and her husband that she wasn't weak.  That she was able to protect them and the fortress.  She'd stand against this monster and bring it down alone.  She was a fool.  She paid with her life.

Her only child, her daughter, was actually unhappy after it happened.  I figured she'd still be ecstatic like most dwarves / ponies are.  But she was actually sad, and it fit so well with her characterization.

Then the FB went on to kill a fair few more ponies including another long time player claimed militia captain.  Her lover was the one that finally brought the FB down.  A vengeance filled strike that severed its trunk and brought the beast low.

I can't wait to put all of this to text in my next posts there.  I've written a lot of stories in my life, but DF still amazes me with the richness that it can offer you.  It throws you plot twists you'd never think of on your own.  The little things, like that sparring session, give you lots of fertile ground for characterization.  We may have filled in more gaps with the RP than is strictly in the spirit of this thread, but man is DF a powerful story telling tool regardless.

Rest in peace, Captain Falcata.  I'll never forget you. :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »

dang. This makes me feel lame. You know the best story I can remember? one of my miners drowned while digging my well.
HA!
I can beat that!
My ENTIRE FORT drowned when i dug the well
:3

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

Haha, well, two of my forts, I have gotten a particular engraving that appears over and over, that of the duel of Kogan Giltpassionate the dwarven hero, and Ola Pinedrove the elven druid.
Kogan is striking a triumphant pose/laughing. Ola is striking a plaintive pose/cringing. The artwork refers to the smashing of Ola Pinedrove's upper left tooth by Kogan Giltpassionate with an iron warhammer during the Duel of Kogan and Ola in 233.

Though seeing this inspired me to write a story of it.

Kogan stalked into the deserted forest retreat. This had been a long war. A hundred years too long. Too many good dwarves had died to defeat the elves.
This was going to be the last act of the war. If Kogan succeeded in this mission, then the elves would be forced to sue for peace. If he failed... then more dwarves would die.

Without warning, a whispery voice filled with the darkness of an ancient forest, the jubilance of a young shrub and the power of the gigantic elms spoke behind Kogan.

"So, dwarf, you have come. You think to defeat the forest, in its heart. You wish to rape and plunder the trees. Your kind are all the same. We plead with you to stop, but you never listen. And now a thousand of your fellows have died to our arrows and animals."

Kogan spun around, but a hushed whistling sound whipped around him and the voice spoke again.

"You cannot hope to win. My righteous fury will strike you down and I will encase you in a tree. You will be forced to watch over the forests for all eternity. For I am Ola Pinedrove, revered druid of the Boar of Stances. I have existed since time began, and you, young dwarf, are only a blink in the eye of the world."

Kogan sighed, and gripped the haft of his warhammer all the tighter.

"You do not know what I have been through because of your foul people, Ola. I have seen friends butchered and eaten by your disgusting brethren. You say you care for the land and yet you are happy to eat the corpses of your fallen foes. To violate a dwarven's sacred rite of burial is an unforgivable crime. I know you yourself have been guilty of this more than once. Even now, I do not doubt your face and teeth are smeared with dwarven blood, a sight which would turn even my stout dwarven stomach."

Kogan tensed and prepared himself. Ola was not visible. His advantage was the trees themselves- Kogan could not hope to catch him while he hid in the trees. He hoped the druid was not using a bow, as even though the arrows were merely wood, they could still tear through body parts like paper.

A light padding sound came, again, from behind Kogan. The elf had long blonde hair, a sneer on his face, and indeed crusted blood all over him. His hands were slightly elongated, with unkempt nails resembling claws. His teeth were longer than normal, especially his canine teeth, which just barely jutted past his lips. He was unarmed.
Ola was clothed in the druidic fashion, in leaves that covered only his elven genitalia and chest.
Kogan, on the other hand, was in heavy steel armour, encrusted with gems hewn from the earth.

Kogan spoke again.
"Ola, do you see my weapon? Do you see my armour? We stopped using the Earth's Blood just to spite you fools. See how the iron has black specks all over it? That's from the charcoal we used in our furnaces. A thousand degrees of burning heat enveloped all parts of your pretty trees. We used it to make our armour, our weapons, our entire forts are constructed from wooden corpses."

He hoped that this newfangled thing- psychological warfare- that he had learnt during his time among the humans of Iquimong would have as efficacious an effect on the elf as it did on goblins and kobolds, and it indeed appeared to.

Ola bared his teeth and hissed, a gutteral, almost evil sound from the ancient elf.

"You will not rape our forests any longer! I will destroy you and encase your soul in the puniest tree in the forest, pissed on by a thousand elves! We will laugh at your pathetic dwarven kind as we destroy you all! Watch as we eat your children! They are meat, no more than the animals!"

Kogan growled, a low, menacing burr. It helped him to focus and prepare for the fight, which was most definitely to be a difficult one.

"Where have all the elves gone? Have we scared them off with our big, nasty weapons? We can cut down your trees and there is nothing you do about it! We will grow them and cut them and continue like this until the end of time! We will preserve your trees as things to be sat on, to be burnt, to be laid on, to hold our corpses and to be used as battering rams!"

Ola simply leapt forward, on all fours, running like a cheetah. He was fast, faster than nearly any elf Kogan had seen. He barrelled into Kogan, knocking him flat over and landed on top of him. Ola clawed at Kogan's helmet, trying to tear it off so he could rip into Kogan's face from there.

Some instinct took over that day. Kogan tensed every muscle in his body, then bucked like he had seen cows do when confronted with a dwarven pest, throwing the elf off him.
Ola nimbly shifted in the air, and landed a good four metres away from Kogan.
Kogan lowered his stance, and waited for Ola to attack again. He was the rock, and Ola the tree. In time, a tree can wear down a rock, but a rock can quickly snap a tree.

Ola bounded toward him again, then leapt high above him, easily three metres in the air. He almost seemed to hang there for a few seconds, when suddenly he did something Kogan never would've thought- he let fly with a stream of urine.

Kogan uttered a cry of disgust and rolled out of the way of the stream, which stunk like a predator's stench.

"I had always thought that the elves were a little too close to animals. Stop behaving like one, you filthy creature. You do not attack others with your urine."

Ola laughed, landed and launched toward Kogan again.
Kogan gripped his hammer, then swung it like his mother had taught him, smacking the elf full in the jaw. A shining ivory tooth coated with black grime and dark red blood flew out of Ola's mouth. Ola was flung backwards by the force of the strike, hitting a sapling and snapping it in two. He let out a keening, mournful sound then, whether from the pain of the strike, or the fact that he, an elf, had killed a Sibling of the Forest.
Kogan walked up to Ola and stood over him, hammer in hand, tensed, ready to strike should the filthy elf launch another attack.
Ola merely cowered away from Kogan and began to blubber.
"Spare me, spare me, please spare me... I will call off the war if you do so..." Snot and tears now joined the blood and grime coating Ola's face, which Kogan found a pleasing sight. A single strike had determined the tide of the war! Part of Kogan wanted to swipe the elf's head from his shoulders, though he knew that to do so would turn Ola into a martyr and would only increase the elven hatred of the dwarves.

Kogan spoke in an angry but subdued tone, in a very quiet voice.
"You filth. Under your command, you murdered thousands. Some of them were my friends. Some were family, however distant. You threatened our entire country just because of your deluded tree-love. I should kill you where you stand and incinerate your body in the Earth's Blood just to spite your kind. I would keep your head as a trophy, letting it rot on my mantelpiece, and when it was too disgusting, I would throw it to the vermin, and I don't think they would even touch it."

Ola blubbered again, an incomprehensible mutter of several languages, twisted Dwarven, some Human, slashes of Elven and even some Goblin was in there. Whatever he said, it was meaningless.

Kogan sheathed his hammer, satisfied that Ola was no longer a threat, and walked away, out of the forest, kicking at trees as he walked. He had succeeded his mission. Tice Vafice would call off the war.

And Kogan walked away, and fame came to him.

((Kogan features in engravings and figurines of two of my forts- Murakgoden and Limulunnos. I did use poetic license- The war did not end after Ola's defeat, but merely wound down.))
Kogan's legends entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ola's legend's entry- I didn't know she was a female elf until I checked, and she was an acolyte rather than a druid. (edit, she was a druid at the time of her duel with Kogan.) Again, poetic license.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OH! Sifting through the entries, the Boar of Stances did indeed sue for peace after Ola's defeat, but resumed conflict 22 years later!
Somebody draw this story.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 10:54:29 pm »

My own fortress, now the grand city of Crypttests, has received a lot of help from the community to get where it is today!

The expedition team was dispatched in the year 200 to found Crypttests near the tower of a nefarious necromancer. It seemed a doomed expedition with the undead right over the horizon, but the wise elder Amost was determined to see her team to success. She decided that the best defense against the undead, in light of the fact that they had but one skilled warrior, was to dig downward until they'd located natural caverns. The bounty provided there would bolster the growth of the city, and they could make the descent far more difficult for the necromancer's forces.

Crypttests began as a very small settlement dug into a valley on the lowest levels of the caverns, with the areas just outside utilized for grazing and farming. You see, not only had they brought cattle, but also four mighty war unicorns. The culture from which the people of Crypttests hailed believed them to be sacred beasts perfectly suited to fighting undead. They would fend off many minor menaces of the caverns, but become much more important later.

The early years were difficult times for Crypttests. Each time they would seal off a route for cavernous threats to reach their small home, the beasts would find another. Several seasons of crops were lost to ogres and trolls who rampaged across the fields before dying at the settlement's outer walls. It was thanks only to an abundance of natural resources - namely gold and edible plants in the caverns - that the dwarves survived the first two years. A human caravan would come early in the year to bring a bounty of food, and another from the Mountainhome just before the winter. If the people of Crypttests traded poorly, then shortages between had to be resolved by picking as much of the caverns' natural bounty as was possible. Sweet pods became a staple food of the town.

Slowly but surely, Crypttests ascended in security and sustainability, as well as size. What was once a mere hole in the wall now had an entire city on its first level, the Old City, and a more lavish second level for the growing population of nobles and officials - as well as a need for added space to house the locals! Indeed, Crypttests had fast accumulated all of the dwarves it could handle, as well as countless performers and scholars from far and wide. Humans, elves, and even a goblin or two chose to settle there permanently.

The first mayoral election saw Amost removed from command as expedition leader and replaced by Olin, an old fisherdwarf who had done nothing (there weren't even any lakes to fish in!), possibly due to a stock of human booze. However, this would not stand for long. The next dwarven caravan in the year 202 would deliver news that Crypttests was to become a barony, and the people overwhelmingly voted old Amost to the position! Olin remained mayor, but elderly Amost could now hold her newfound clout over him to the end of her days.

As time went on, the dwarves of Crypttest fell under siege twice by the undead of their enemy, but both invasions failed due to the cleverness Amost had passed on to the local dwarves. They had slowly but surely reshaped the caverns to suit their needs. Unnecessary paths down to the fortress valley were struck from the cavern, while great walls and fortifications of marble were erected to block off other routes of entry. Measures were taken even to the very entrance of the city, where two walls now stood, both with mighty drawbridges ready to entomb the dwarves and their animals in the event of a serious threat. Also, they invented garbage disposal and send their refuse via minecart to a lava pool far below. No longer were their pastures plagued by the miasma of the dead.

By the year 202, threats from the fortress' necromantic nemesis had all but fallen silent. Many wondered if something had happened at the tower to end the threat, thus freeing Crypttests from its duty to stand guard against the unholy powers. That isn't to say that the fortress was safe, however! Ordinary cavern pests aside, many forgotten beasts sought to conquer the subterranean city. One of the earliest was a gigantic bird whose wings bypassed all of Crypttests' defenses. The beast was stuck down by Catten, the very same lone warrior who had arrived with the expedition party and had long since been made militia commander.

Other forgotten beasts would come in due time. One merely passed through prior to Crypttests having reshaped the caves through carving and walls, but it may have had the greatest impact. A plan to turn the massive mold fields just above the valley into bountiful farmland was long delayed by the arrival of a mysterious red blob whose jiggly form set the plain ablaze. By the time the beast had passed through, the fire had burned out of control and left only ash behind. It would take quite some time for the mold to grow back and the farming plan to resume.

Other forgotten beasts were stymied by Crypttests' engineering wonders, for the most part, but one last beast did reach the gates in midwinter of 202. Ngogno Deadholes, the Fates Shadow of Mines, had actually been on a rampage through the caverns for some time. How he finally bypassed the city's outer defenses is unknown. However, doing credit to their reputation as holy beasts, Ngogno's reign of terror was ended via a killing blow dealt by the unicorn Conjurebrass.

The accomplishments of the great metropolis of Crypttests could no longer go ignored. In early 203, without ever appointing any nobles beyond the baroness Amost, King Iden Zanzegim and Queen Kib Dorennish relocated to the city and declared it to be the new Mountainhome. They did not bring any of their fourteen children along. A third level was constructed, a grand palace to house the royalty and serve as a central complex for the city's politicians. So begins a new era for Crypttests, a wealthy city facing few threats. The people now approach real danger for the first time as their new monarchs, hungry for the wealth known to be in the local earth, have commanded a hunt for adamantite.

The surface world was a worse place still. Wars had been constant across the three years since Crypttests' founding, mostly among goblins and neighboring civilizations. However, three demon lords seem to have been on the warpath, the eldest being the Cloud of Chaos. It has weathered colossi, dragons, hydra, rocs, and titans since perhaps before the year 200 and has still managed many conquests. Will their armies one day come to Crypttests, or will the dwarves welcome the demons in first via their quest for adamantite?

Last but certainly not least, the final forgotten beast seen by the locals had been slaying everything in the caverns for years, blocked off only by the mighty walls of Crypttests. It was finally slain, not by dwarf, nor man, nor elf, nor even goblin. This terrible forgotten beast was suffocated ... by a crundle. Crypttests, which had once considered crundles to be a frequent pest, now has a gold statue cast in their honor.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 01:12:03 am »

And that's a considerable retelling of two years.
Pages: 1 2 [3]